The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Bag for ALPA12TC and DB and maybe a iPad?

A

akk2

I finally got my 12TC.
I tried a Domke F5XB with the Finder taken off and it does fit.
But I want a better solution that let me carry a iPad as well.

Any suggestions?

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I struggled trying to find a bag to accept the Alpa WITH the viewfinder, lens & back attached. I'm sure there's one out there for walk around use but I have yet to come across it. The best I've come up with so far for my use with the STC and 3x lenses is a Lowepro Slingshot but even with this bag I remove the VF (in my case the iPhone adapter). The Alpa isn't very big in itself but the volume with the viewfinder and grip attached does end up being significantly different than even a large DSLR. Removing and reattaching the optical viewfinder is a complete pain in the a$$ after a while.

Terry

I like the small piece for the wake up cable on your TC. I have the wake up grip but it makes things much larger. Is that a standard Alpa part?

Edit:
Just found it on the Alpa site.....of course in the discontinued items section.

stephengilbert

Terry

Thanks Steve -
I just edited my post above when I found it on the site. It take three parts When you include the special wake up cable. So the grand total would be CH550 or $620....

The current wakeup grip that I have makes holding the TC so good that this would make for a very expensive experiment in going smaller.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I thought zero latency can lead to the back running much warmer and then results in more noise.
Not really. Mine is set to power save and I don't have any noise build up at all. I have to wake it up if it powers down but not with every shot. It just sucks batteries.

I also have the KG one-shot which works pretty well but it's another bit of kit dangling in the wind and getting in the way of the lens controls. The Alpa single shot alternative looks nice but spendy for what it is. :) However, I can buy a LOT of batteries for these cable costs.

Last edited:

jlm

Workshop Member
you guys should talk to me about these extra bits; alpa prices are a joke.

after Graham's post about the PIA for connecting the viewfinder (two knurled screws) it is making me re-think the solution I have going for mounting my i-phone adapter, to the Alpa.

my adapter has a hot-shoe foot, since it was designed for the Cambo which has a hot shoe. For the Arca, i am making an alternate base that fits the Arca clamp; for the Alpa, the options seem to be:

1. buy the alpa hot shoe adapter ($280!!)
2. I can offer an alternate base for my I-phone holder that screws onto the body just like the viewfinder or the Alpa HS adapter
3. I offer a custom hot-shoe adapter that fits the alpa and my I-phone holder that you leave on the camera for about $75

by the way, I expect to have the first production run of i-phone holders ready next week

A

akk2

you guys should talk to me about these extra bits; alpa prices are a joke.

after Graham's post about the PIA for connecting the viewfinder (two knurled screws) it is making me re-think the solution I have going for mounting my i-phone adapter, to the Alpa.

my adapter has a hot-shoe foot, since it was designed for the Cambo which has a hot shoe. For the Arca, i am making an alternate base that fits the Arca clamp; for the Alpa, the options seem to be:

1. buy the alpa hot shoe adapter ($280!!)
2. I can offer an alternate base for my I-phone holder that screws onto the body just like the viewfinder or the Alpa HS adapter
3. I offer a custom hot-shoe adapter that fits the alpa and my I-phone holder that you leave on the camera for about $75

by the way, I expect to have the first production run of i-phone holders ready next week
Alpa pricing is always a joke.
But I couldn't find a better wake up solution unless I switch to a P65+ or leaf, which is a different story.:deadhorse::deadhorse:
iPhone adapter is about $200 more than the iPhone :ROTFL: