The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

80 Megapixels on Alpa etc

goesbang

Today, I came home to find Mrs.Siebel at the dining table unpacking the Phase One IQ180 she'd bought me.
Did I mention I LOVE that woman?!!!!!!
So, once I've had the time to get used to it, I will be keen to see how it stacks up against my Aptus 12.
I am really keen to see if all the anticipated benefits of the IQ interface for users of tech cams are what I have hoped they will be. As I shoot over 90% of my work on an ALPA STC, I guess I'll know soon enough.
I'm pretty keen to hear how others are finding it impacts their workflow and camera handling. For starters, I suspect my days of shooting tethered may be over........

Happy Days!:salute:

Anders_HK

Bryan,

Congrats! Any chance we can hear from you how these backs compare in other ways as well please; image quality? :D

Thank you.

Regards
Anders

vjbelle

It would be great to hear how you are verifying focus - how well does the mask work and are you able to check focus with a loupe.....

Hopefully my 180 will be here soon...

Victor

goesbang

It would be great to hear how you are verifying focus - how well does the mask work and are you able to check focus with a loupe.....

Hopefully my 180 will be here soon...

Victor
Loupe? Two taps on the screen and you are looking at the image at 400%.
I do not use a groundglass on the ALPA.
Mostly I measure the distance with my eye-o-meter (thankfully, mine is pretty well calibrated) and set this on the ALPA HPF rings. Mostly I've been pretty close in the past but now I can zap to 400% and know for sure. I sure could have used this function when I was shooting a close up (at f5.6) of an icicle on the edge of lake Zug last winter.

vjbelle

Siebel,

I didn't mean using a loupe on ground glass.... I should have been more specific. I have found that using a MF loupe (Schneider, or Hoodman) on my 5DII to be much easier than simply magnifying the image on the LCD. My eyes aren't as great as they used to be so this is a preferable and fast way to check for focus. It should work really well on the 180. I'll know soon enough.

Victor

goesbang

Siebel,

I didn't mean using a loupe on ground glass.... I should have been more specific. I have found that using a MF loupe (Schneider, or Hoodman) on my 5DII to be much easier than simply magnifying the image on the LCD. My eyes aren't as great as they used to be so this is a preferable and fast way to check for focus. It should work really well on the 180. I'll know soon enough.

Victor
Once you've seen the screen on an IQ back, you'll never want to look at a DSLR screen again. I'm guessing Canon and Nikon will soon have retina type screens too.
The process of tapping the screen twice to zoom in is so fast it's a real workflow boon.

Terry

Yes, indeed - Happy Bryan!
You've got one on the way too, right? BTW, which lenses did you end up getting for your kit?

My P65+ is looking for a new home.......
I ordered the Schneider 43mm after I was assured the banding issues were solved and that lens would be OK. I have a 90mm Schneider and thought I would use that a bit before moving to the 72mm. I canceled my order for the new Schneider 60mm.

I have an Alpa TC with a 24mm lens. Popped off one shot with Jack's back. That lens needs a new home for someone with a crop sensor back. I do like the TC for a tiny solution. If you are changing around your lenses and have something in Alpa mount that you are going to sell, please PM me.

I'm not sure when the first backs are going to make their way to US customers.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Today, I came home to find Mrs.Siebel at the dining table unpacking the Phase One IQ180 she'd bought me.
So, once I've had the time to get used to it, I will be keen to see how it stacks up against my Aptus 12.
I am really keen to see if all the anticipated benefits of the IQ interface for users of tech cams are what I have hoped they will be. As I shoot over 90% of my work on an ALPA STC, I guess I'll know soon enough.
I'm pretty keen to hear how others are finding it impacts their workflow and camera handling. For starters, I suspect my days of shooting tethered may be over........

Happy Days!:salute:
Awesome news.

vjbelle

Once you've seen the screen on an IQ back, you'll never want to look at a DSLR screen again. I'm guessing Canon and Nikon will soon have retina type screens too.
The process of tapping the screen twice to zoom in is so fast it's a real workflow boon.
Great to hear stuff like this. I also intend to expand my Alpa system. I have the 35XL but that's as wide as I'll ever need.... I'm really not a wide angle fan. 100mm, 150mm and maybe the 72 are on my list.

Thanks for the info.......:)

jonoslack

Hi Bryan
I think that if I took pictures as good as yours Mrs. Slack would do the same!

Congratulations - well deserved and I'm sure you'll make the most of it.

all the best

gazwas

100mm, 150mm and maybe the 72 are on my list.
Another to add to the list IMO is the SK 120mm. Mine arrived last week and is a beauty. Tiny lens but with a really large image circle with virtually no illumination fall off and colour shift to worry about when using large movements. At f8 is amazingly sharp and with a focal length in 35mm equivalent to 77mm is a really nice short tele.

Highly recommended. :thumbs:

vjbelle

Another to add to the list IMO is the SK 120mm. Mine arrived last week and is a beauty. Tiny lens but with a really large image circle with virtually no illumination fall off and colour shift to worry about when using large movements. At f8 is amazingly sharp and with a focal length in 35mm equivalent to 77mm is a really nice short tele.

Highly recommended. :thumbs:
I agree with you..... The 120 is a great lens. I had, for about a week, the 72 and the 120 in my arsenal and found that I missed the focal length of the 150. The 100 makes more sense as a companion for the 150 and then its just what to do on the normal to slightly wide end.

Victor

gazwas

Just got the SK 43XL and 120N at the moment but I'm very tempted by the RS 90HRW as a normal lens. Sharp and a super large 125mm IC with very little fall off (1 stop max even at f5.6) looking at the data on their website.

dchew

Congrats Bryan,
I'm waiting patiently for an IQ180 for my STC, 43xl, 100HR and now a 150 SK that just arrived last week. I'm fascinated to see how everyone revamps their shooting procedure as a result of the IQ features. For focus I'm thinking of using the "offset technique" much like orienteering: Measure distance, then purposefully focus a tiny bit short. double-tap, dial up, double-tap, dial up... until it gets sharp then begins to go soft again. Maybe in composition mode?!

Can't wait to stop conjecture and start doing and learning! I said I was waiting patiently, right?

Dave