The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Is the IQ180 the end for Schneider lenses ? compared to Rodenstock

cunim

Woody, thanks for the comparison. Very instructive. I look forward to hearing your decision.

My use of a 10% shift limit accords with Jack's. I seem to get OK results with10% in any direction - with Rodenstocks. My targets are often 30-50 feet away from the camera. I wonder if focusing before infinity helps a bit with casts. My worst case would be combined XY movements (eg 2 rows x 2 columns) with a bright sky, looking for casts and compression artefacts in the corners. Lots to experiment with on the new back.

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
Woody, thanks for the comparison. Very instructive. I look forward to hearing your decision.

My use of a 10% shift limit accords with Jack's. I seem to get OK results with10% in any direction - with Rodenstocks. My targets are often 30-50 feet away from the camera. I wonder if focusing before infinity helps a bit with casts. My worst case would be combined XY movements (eg 2 rows x 2 columns) with a bright sky, looking for casts and compression artefacts in the corners. Lots to experiment with on the new back.
keep us informed - 10% in both x and y to make a four panel stitch starts to get interesting.

danlindberg

@ Woody

I read that you tested the hr32 with 17mm shift both left and right for a stitch. The sharpness shifted this much seems quite impressive. Did you try even further shift, or was the 17mm the maximum you tried?

I am not interested in stitching, but vertical shots with lots of rise for architectual shots so it would be interesting to know the absolute limit of rise for this lens. I am hoping 20mm with a 37x49 sensor :eek:

I suppose/hope that the Alpa correction software can deal with the distortion in a good way with single shots.

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
@ Woody

I read that you tested the hr32 with 17mm shift both left and right for a stitch. The sharpness shifted this much seems quite impressive. Did you try even further shift, or was the 17mm the maximum you tried?

I am not interested in stitching, but vertical shots with lots of rise for architectual shots so it would be interesting to know the absolute limit of rise for this lens. I am hoping 20mm with a 37x49 sensor :eek:

I suppose/hope that the Alpa correction software can deal with the distortion in a good way with single shots.
If you page up to the third page of this thread you will see crops from the 17mm shift (along the short axis) - they are amazingly good. This was 17mm with a 40x54 back - 17mm is the maximum shift with my Alpa Max. If I'm doing the math correctly this lens should provide the shift that you need with smaller sensor. Somewhere in this thread I tried the Alpa correction software with this lens and in worked perfectly. Note that in CS 5 it only works on 32 bit mode.

danlindberg

Great - thanks! Then I would say that IF the Alpa correction software can deal with the distortion issue, then this lens must be it for wides and movements.

The suggestion is that the hr40 gives about the same amount/type of distortion as the hr32, does anyone know if that goes for the hr50 as well?

I am so back and forth on a pair of wides for architecture, I've been all over the place, but as it is right now, I am leaning towards the hr32 and hr50 with a 37x49 sensor.