The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Urgent: LCC from IQ180 ? Is this OK or a bad back?

Christopher

All other problems on the side, I have one main concern:

Just wanted to know if: A: I'm going mad. B: This is still in the specs C: I had a brilliant P65 D: Something is really not fine with my IQ180

LCC - DF camera, 80mm Phase One

Left nothing done to the file. Left P65 right IQ180

Now I did the following in C1for both files: Saturation to 50, in levels: black to 85 and white to 180, after that I used the WB tool and clicked in the middle.

Left P65 right IQ180

What do you see and what do you mean ?

I can see the green/yellow band even in the first version, even through it is only very light. However, I'm asking myself if this should be there at all on device such expensive? I mean the P65 does not have it and looks to my eyes much better. (well except dust ;-) )

I just want to know what people think. I'm currently uploading both RAW files. Will post them as soon as its finished.

Oh and if you don't see a problem, just write it. It could be that it is something I'm seeing which isn't there for other people ;-)

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Have to say that it does not look right (or good) to me.

Going back through my recent images and see if I can find even a hint of color cast in any images >> Edit: Just did that.

I had several images with large expanses of gray skies. One in particular was the full sky in gray while facing North and it was not blown. In C1 I reduced exposure for that frame by 1 full stop, nothing weird. I compressed shadow levels as you did all the way to 125, again, nothing weird color-wise. I compressed the highlights to fully blow the sky, again no weird color at all. I zeroed levels and droppered all over the gray sky. In no case did color temp change by more than 40 points (5602 through 5646), and tint by 0.5 points (-2.4 to -2.9) -- IOW a very even tone of gray sky corner to corner in at least the upper half of that frame.

Obviously the above is not conclusive, but it is somewhat relevant data to start with. Regardless, the fact my gray skies are all very even with the 55LS and 80LS on the DF body, I would have to say your IQ180 is somehow defective. And this could be exacerbating the issues you're seeing between IQ180 and 43.

Good news is I am getting an Arca RM3Di later this week along with a Schneider 43 and will test it thoroughly over the IQ180 this coming weekend, so stay tuned.

Christopher

I mean the thing I'm asking myself. Would I see it in a normal image ? Probably not. Would I see it in a image which is quite neutral but with some editing ? Probably yes. So, the only thing I want answered is, if this is "normal" or not. Thats also the question I asked Phase One support today. Will post back when I get a answer. I have to say that I don't think it is normal that a 40,000 camera shows something like that, even if it is slight. I mean I know my 2000EUR Canon does not show is and I kn ow that my P45 never showed it and my P65 as seen a both is also a lot more neutral.

G

Garcia

I agree with Jack

These are from my Aptus 12, PhaseOne 80mm@f8

Left = iso50 | right = iso800

Christopher

I should add, I'm not talking or complaining about the "normal" lens cast when pushing such a file that way, but about the ugly yellow band which one must call sensor cast??? I don't have the right word. But I think most of you get what I'm talking about ;)

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
I mean the thing I'm asking myself. Would I see it in a normal image ? Probably not. Would I see it in a image which is quite neutral but with some editing ? Probably yes. So, the only thing I want answered is, if this is "normal" or not. Thats also the question I asked Phase One support today. Will post back when I get a answer. I have to say that I don't think it is normal that a 40,000 camera shows something like that, even if it is slight. I mean I know my 2000EUR Canon does not show is and I kn ow that my P45 never showed it and my P65 as seen a both is also a lot more neutral.
The color stripe on the right side (also visible in your tech camera LCC) indicate bad calibration, bad firmware, or bad hardware. The least likely of those three is the bad hardware; given your problems with CF cards the bad firmware seems most likely. Regardless you should consult with your dealer to have the problem resolved whether by calibration, firmware, or hardware repair/replacement.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870 *| *Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

Christopher

I think this is perfekt to show the problem. Straight LCC with no shift and just 100 color boost.
All the blue stuff is normal and fine, it is just how a back looks on a tech camera, the reason we have LCCs. However the yellowisch band looks out of place.

Other updates, I'm talking to Phase one at the moment, they have the raw files and I will post again as soon as something new comes up.

Christopher

I thought on that, but from where, I mean it's on all Phase lenses (645DF) and on all Arca. Would need to come from the back itself, which than again is the same problem as any other hardware.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Check the mount on the back and make sure you are locked and loaded to your cam. Than look and see if any chance there is spacing or not sealed down. I look at these things as one step at a time and process of elimination. Your just not looking normal here hate to say it. But certainly get in touch with your dealer.

Christopher

No you are not. But it comes from the tech camera lens. As I mentioned a both on a tech camera there is this slight yellonisch, however it is gone with the p65 on any phase one lens and is still there on the iq back.

etrump

Christopher,

This post scared me enough to shoot a slew of LCCs as soon as the IQ180 arrived. Fortunately, mine all looked as I would expect.

I won't venture an uneducated guess, hopefully P1 will get you straightened out.