The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

rodenstock 70 vs Schneider 72 digitar... i can't decide...

archivue

rodenstock 70 vs Schneider 72 digitar... i can't decide...

i've read that the 72 is really good in term of distortion
it looks like the 70 have a large image circle

and what about color cast ?

i will be used it for architecture with an RM3D.

the price being similar, please help me to decide...

Don Libby

I'm going on a limb here answering so take what I say with a grain of salt.

While I don't have a RM3D and don't shoot architecture I have owned a Schneider 72mm for several years. One aspect of telling how pleased I am with this lens is its longevity. I this lens several months after getting my WRS and have been happily using it since.

Remembering I shoot little other than landscape this has been one of my most used lenses in my 2-lens kit. The image quality is very sharp and clean both on a P45+ and now even more so on the P65+ (I just completed writing a 3-part comparison on the P45+ and P65+ on a tech camera on my blog). While the image circle isn't as huge as my short barrel 120mm it still is good out to 15mm left and right. I think I might be able to go slightly further however I just haven't had the time to test it that far.

My feeling is that color cast is a given on a tech camera therefore you shoot a LCC prior to each image capture. That said, I have found the 72 to be very forgiving.

So to sum it all up - I have no experience with a Rodenstock, RM3d or architecture photography. I do however have experience using the Schneider 72 and like it a lot.

Just my 2¢ worth

Don

I can't close this without the following recommendation. It's fine to solicit opinions however when the rubber hits the road only you can tell what's best suited for you; so make every attempt to try both out first. Okay I had to say that and I feel much better now...:D

Don