The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Upgrade + backs to IQ backs - the Pelican case too?

narikin

My dealer says that my IQ upgrade is on its way, and laid down the procedure: apparently they are expecting my Pelican case too, from the P65+ outfit I bought. Is this normal?

I thought it was just a back for back swap, and the Pelican should stay with me. I'm going from Value P65+ to Value IQ180. I do appreciate I get a new case with Value Added version, but why does the old Pelican one, which belongs with my entire outfit - the camera body etc, go back too?

Have upgraded twice before P45>P45+, P45+>P65, and never had to send the main case back, so why this time.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I agree it sounds a bit odd as the new back comes with a nice cardboard and foam rubber box which are not as nice as the plastic one (this bit is absolutely not an "upgrade").
I have been asked to do that too, but to keep other bits such as battery cables and charger.
-bob

cs750

I raised this issue with my dealer (since I paid extra for the Pelican case) and was told since I was picking up the IQ180 and personally bringing the P65+ trade in I could keep my Pelican case; they also refunded the shipping charge to me.

darr

I am not upgrading, but I did buy a used back from a dealer in 2007. It came with a Pelican-type case. My guess is they recycle them with the backs or system when they resell them as used.

narikin

hmmphh. not so unusual then. We are talking about the BIG pelican case right - the one for a full camera system? Maybe there's a small back-sized Pelican that I'm unawares of.

I have done two back upgrades before this and never had to return my case. Plus it just seems odd that a tiny little back 'owns' the big case, not the big DF camera system with all its extras, that I bought and keep in it.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
heck i sold my back case the one about 11x 17. I still have the DF case and also I have a Roller case. Im not there yet so not sure what they want.

kdphotography

I think the meat of the upgrade is just the back itself safely delivered. It seems that Phase is moving away from hardside Pelican style cases and towards sturdy cardboard shipping boxes made specifically for the backs. I'm sure that saves a lot of money considering all the backs being shipped to/from.

When I sent my P65+ in for the flash sync update, I sent it in a small Pelican 1200 that I purchased (which is perfect btw). Phase returned my P65+ in the new sturdy cardboard shipping containers, sans Pelican 1200! I did get it back eventually...

Also put it this way---the upgrade paths to the IQ don't specify P+ backs by warranty type (standard vs value added) which determined the type of case and accessories you received at initial purchase. The accessories are chump change. The MFDB is the upgrade. imo

Guy Mancuso

I think part of the issue here is folks are sending there old backs in paper wrapping and some dealers are getting returns that are NOT protected. Obviously this is not good and some dealers want to make sure the returns are protected in these cases from damage. i can't blame them either. I would see what your particular dealer wants you to do maybe you can have them ship back your case for shipping costs or something like that but certainly work that out with your dealer. Frankly I'm on the dealers side on this, its a lot of money being shipped and they are just protecting it from damage.
You would be pretty upset if you got a back from them wrapped in paper. So I get it.

kdphotography

I think part of the issue here is folks are sending there old backs in paper wrapping and some dealers are getting returns that are NOT protected. Obviously this is not good and some dealers want to make sure the returns are protected in these cases from damage. i can't blame them either. I would see what your particular dealer wants you to do maybe you can have them ship back your case for shipping costs or something like that but certainly work that out with your dealer. Frankly I'm on the dealers side on this, its a lot of money being shipped and they are just protecting it from damage.
You would be pretty upset if you got a back from them wrapped in paper. So I get it.
Totally agree here with you, Guy. I'd use either Phase's own new sturdy protected shipping containers (foam block cut specifically for the back) or a Pelican 1200 which is pretty inexpensive insurance. See, http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=pelican+1200&N=0&InitialSearch=yes Only ~$41.

Guy Mancuso

Problem is if it is damaged guess who gets the ding US. at 20K or whatever that is not fun. Bottom line folks YOU are responsible until it gets in your dealers hands. Take measures it gets there safe and sound.

I agree Ken even worth buying one to ship

alan_w_george

When I upgraded from P40 to P65, I go to keep the P40's Pelican case. Dealer said to ship him the P40 and the sensor cover and everything else I could keep.

When you're spending the equivalent of a small luxury car, a Pelican case, couple of batteries and a charger is the equivalent of a set of floor mats. Which doesn't really amount to much in comparison, but it does leave a good taste in the mouth and probably accounts, among other things, for why some dealers are more successful than others, IMO.

My dealer says that my IQ upgrade is on its way, and laid down the procedure: apparently they are expecting my Pelican case too, from the P65+ outfit I bought. Is this normal?

I thought it was just a back for back swap, and the Pelican should stay with me. I'm going from Value P65+ to Value IQ180. I do appreciate I get a new case with Value Added version, but why does the old Pelican one, which belongs with my entire outfit - the camera body etc, go back too?

Have upgraded twice before P45>P45+, P45+>P65, and never had to send the main case back, so why this time.