The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Thanks everyone - got my New Old P65

etrump

The p65 is a great back, congrats! Best transition is to shoot it a lot and test DOF for every scenario you can think of. Shooting a 60mp exposure will force you to become a better photographer.

Something I did that made a huge difference was quit using the viewfinder for a few outings. You'll be surprised what you learn.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Here is some disconcertingly discordant Jazz to listen whilst shooting with your 65+ to help balance out the feelings of image quality serenity the Dalsa beast will bring you.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870 *| *Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

vieri

Vieri,

Thanks very much for the welcome. I'll never completely leave music (Jazz in my case) but you can only do so many things in your life. I have to say that my training and artistic bent to music has helped me more than I can say in Photography. Learning to see is very much like learning to hear. That's another topic though. :rolleyes:
Mark,

neither did I, not completely - I still do teach regularly and play occasionally. I agree with you that the research process is vastly similar, as is the gear-slutness... :ROTFL: I meant, the search for that last eluding few % of extra quality that comes to a real steep price and with a real steep learning curve as well :D again welcome, and enjoy!

Don Libby

Ed gives great advice here. The first thing I do whenever I pick up a new lens (or in the case of moving from the P45 to P65) is to take a day or two and shoot in my backyard before moving out to other "known" places. I found this helps me understand the capabilities of the system better. I've got a saguaro in the backyard that has been photographed so much it now poses for me if I even walk near it. :D

What I'm attempting to say is get to thoroughly know your equipment before attempting any serious work.

I found moving from 35mm to medium format "interesting". While not particularly difficult it was a transition of how I shot. The great this is that you've kept with a DSLR format so the transition will be much easier.

While I've only had my "new old P65" for a week now I know it's a real winner.

Again congratulations. You're wallet will never be full again...:eek:

Don

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Mark,

neither did I, not completely - I still do teach regularly and play occasionally. I agree with you that the research process is vastly similar, as is the gear-slutness... :ROTFL: I meant, the search for that last eluding few % of extra quality that comes to a real steep price and with a real steep learning curve as well :D again welcome, and enjoy!
Okay i want you two to give us a GetDPI song. Special version of Dante's Inferno :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I was thinking more like Brittany's "Oops, I did it again!" Maybe what we need is a medley that starts with Brittany and ends with Johnny.

:ROTFL:

mesposito

The p65 is a great back, congrats! Best transition is to shoot it a lot and test DOF for every scenario you can think of. Shooting a 60mp exposure will force you to become a better photographer.

Something I did that made a huge difference was quit using the viewfinder for a few outings. You'll be surprised what you learn.
Ed - thanks very much for the heads-up. I've seen the difference in some initial testing, but I have a lot more to do. I'm in the Asheville NC area all week hanging out, so I'll get a chance to run some tests.

S

Shelby Lewis

Ah... I left music completely for ten years... and now I'm back in it full time pursuing a doctorate in trumpet performance (emphasis baroque and jazz trumpet). Music continues to inform my photography (and likewise).

MF is a beast to learn, but well worth it when everything begins to fall into place. Congrats!!!

mesposito

Ah... I left music completely for ten years... and now I'm back in it full time pursuing a doctorate in trumpet performance (emphasis baroque and jazz trumpet). Music continues to inform my photography (and likewise).

MF is a beast to learn, but well worth it when everything begins to fall into place. Congrats!!!
Hey Shelby. Trumpet/Flugelhorn is my axe as well.

mesposito

Ah the inferno is getting hotter. LOL
Guy - I guess so. I did some shooting in North Carolina this past week, and I missed having the superwide. I can't do anything yet, but I can see the point now. :^}

The 28mm is an expensive lens, and it looks like I can buy the Cambo w/Schneider 35mm for almost the same price. Having the movements is great too.

I'll upload some samples soon. Just going through them in C1.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Yea i am still rolling around in my head under 55mm LS, I'm full frame now things changed. I'm running a test next week and let you know what i find.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
The 55 is not a super wide on MF -- it is a very, very nice light wide though.