The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

MF and Stage Work

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Hi everyone, first sorry I have been a little quiet. Okay you can stop cheering.:ROTFL::ROTFL: But I am still in NY shooting a Model and Talent convention and it is all stage work that I have been shooting. This is sort of a test for MF and can it really do it as well as shooting the D300 . Well the answer is yes and no. It can do it , no question but obviously shooting the D300 would be easier on me. Having zoom lenses would help for one and I am limited to ISO 800 which is actually doing a great job at it and i was thinking if I really need more either get a P30 plus or a Noise software program but the results are damn good and i really love shooting it. All that I am showing is ISO 800 with various lenses the runway stuff is all with a Mamiya 300 mm AF lens 4.5 shot at 5.6 and the damn lens is a razor and even the AF is keeping up fairly well . Obviously not a Nikon D3 speed but I really felt I was not wanting at any time for more speed. This exercise shooting MF is maybe not normal for most folks doing this stuff but for me why hold unto a Nikon system if i can get it done with MF without too much pain. Obviously more work and i do NOT need the huge files but i even like the look better than the Nikons by a mile .

So i will update more later need to get back out there and shoot but here are some samples. Now the noise looks great with well lit backgrounds but the shots with dark backgrounds you can see some noise, now they don't show on the Nikon files because it simply does not have the DR of the MF which the shadows go black and the MF you can see into it. I left the MF files alone but could have easily knocked out the noise just by applying more dark to the shadows and brought the DR actually down. Anyway need to run but check this out. Shot all of this on tungsten WB and just left it alone

BradleyGibson

Thanks for sharing, Guy!

I love seeing all the varied and interesting shoots you take on--talent shows, disaster simulations--it's very cool.

It also shows how versatile you are as a photographer to be able to deal with the different demands of these wildly different shooting conditions.

Love the shot with #4790--dramatic angles, and she's workin' it!

Bravo!
-Brad

Guy Mancuso

Thanks Brad. I am really loving shooting MF again. It is a little hard on me . My hands where really hurting yesterday shooting the 300mm on a monopod with cramping but it is really worth it. Nice thing is I will never want for a larger file now. It's there in the can and I don't have to worry about what a client will do with my files. More work, Yes. More expense, Yes but priceless at the end of the day.

BradleyGibson

:thumbs:

As for the detail in the files, yes, I couldn't agree more. As I contemplate where the @#?! I'm going to come up with $25-35K for my wife and I to go and spend some time in Antarctica, the one thing I'm able to rest comfortably on is the amount of detail in the files (I came to MF from an 8 megapixel 1D Mk II).

Take care,
Brad

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Awesome job Guy! Looks like the MF camera is working very well for you -- the images have that "MF look". I think maybe now you can leave the DSLR at home! Also have to say seeing you put that 300 to work here has me thinking I'll pull mine from the B&S!

Guy Mancuso

IT's a great lens Jack. You know where I come from with Leica and the 180mm F2 Apo and for the money it is sweeeeeeeet as can be. It's big and it's heavy no doubt but this helps get the DSLR's off my setup. I need money for the 150 mm 2.8 and thought about selling it but man having a hard time thinking about that now. Need to find a NY bank with a ski mask. LOL

David K

Workshop Member
Nice work Guy... I'm impressed that the AF is keeping up with those moving targets you're shooting. The images look great and I'll bet you were the only shooter using MF :)

D

ddk

Hi Guy,
I must say that I'm impressed with the quality of these shots at iso 800, much better than I expected but I'm even more impressed with your technique, I know that getting a clean, clear shot with a 300mm MF lens is a bitch in ideal conditions but under these circumstances, WOW that's masochistic!

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
IT's a great lens Jack. SNIP I need money for the 150 mm 2.8 and thought about selling it but man having a hard time thinking about that now.
I hear you Bud -- think I'll keep mine and maybe sell the 210 instead LOLOL!!!

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Hi Guy,
I must say that I'm impressed with the quality of these shots at iso 800, much better than I expected but I'm even more impressed with your technique, I know that getting a clean, clear shot with a 300mm MF lens is a bitch in ideal conditions but under these circumstances, WOW that's masochistic!
Just to clarify, the 300 lens Guy is using is indeed a Medium Format (MF) lens, but it is Auto Focus, not Manual Focus (also MF, an unfortunate coincidence when discussing camera gear) :)

D

ddk

Just to clarify, the 300 lens Guy is using is indeed a Medium Format (MF) lens, but it is Auto Focus, not Manual Focus (also MF, an unfortunate coincidence when discussing camera gear) :)
I realized that, I have the Contax 350mm/f4 so I really know what's involved here.

Last edited:

Terry

Love the shot with the masks etc....good news that you like using the MF for this stuff...means I can gobble up some more of your Nikon gear....got a 24-70???? :ROTFL:

Guy Mancuso

What is impressing me here is this stuff is tungsten and the skin tones are bang on which is very rare to see great skin tones shooting tungsten and I did not even WB these. No camera i ever had did this well in tungsten.

Thanks Helen