The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Rollei Bokeh

PeterA

Nice shot David and congratulations on a beautiful daughter (nice enough to actually pose for you! ) LOL

I find that any green foliage background to be the most challenging for any lens...I void it as much as possible - that said - I must agree with you that leafage works better than most...

you guys have sufficiently pricked my interest to investigate a 205 system...I seem to be stuck on hasselblad/Zeiss or Hasselblad Fuji/blad...

fotografz

Mark, I don't find the bokeh of the posted shot particularly pleasing. It just seems a bit harsh to me. Maybe there's just too much OOF area relative to the sharp foreground subject (which looks superb). I like my bokeh more like that shown in the attached shot of my daughter (which I've posted before). Obviously, what's in the OOF background area affects the look significantly. I've found these kinds of leaves pleasing to my eye and frequently set up my shot to use them. Perhaps some will find the darker areas in this example distracting but they don't bother me.
I'd have to agree that I am not a fan of the type of what I like to call "In Between Bokeh" in Mark K's shot.

However I'd have to also say that the Bokeh behind your lovely daughter looks fake to my eye David ... like an airbrush rendering of plants rather than subtile reality.

I think it serves to illustrate the degree of subjectivity involved with all this, and how we form our individual preferences ... because it is science in the service of ART.

Personally, many of my own preferences were formed less from a system of optics and more from specific lenses from various systems including 35mm optics known for their OOF properties: Contax C/Y 55/1.2 85/1.2 & 135/2, Contax 645: 55/3.5, 80/2, 120/4, 150/2.8, 350/4 ... Leica Pre-ASPH M35s, 50/1.4, Noctilux, 75/1.4, Leica R 35/1.4, 80/1.4, 180/2 ... all of the 200 series lenses especially the 110/2FE, 250FE and 350FE ... H/C 100/2.2, 300/4.5 and 150/3.2 with the 1.4X, 300/4.5 ... Canon 85/1.2, 135/2, 200/1.8 and 300/2.8 ... Nikon 28/1.4 at certain distances, 85/1.4 and happily the new 200/2VR ... and I'm still playing with some of the ZF optics on the Nikon to determine preferences.

Contrasted to that are some of the worst optics I've experienced for OOF areas: the Contax/Zeiss 50/1.4 (God awful), and some longer Nikon lenses which turned any foliage background into a double lined can of worms.

A few random OOF examples plucked from the Drobo that are from various optical choices:

Last edited:

BradleyGibson

Agreed--I think this only re-affirms the fact that there is a lot of subjectivity around what good bokeh is.

Personally, I also feel that the bokeh in Mark's shot is a somewhat harsh, but perhaps a little more blur given the background would have helped.

The quality of bokeh in both David K's and Marc's examples are exactly what I look for, personally--beautiful examples, guys.

-Brad

David K

Workshop Member
Marc's shots are better than mine but I attribute that to luck :) Guys, thanks for the kind words about my daughter but she'd rather take the garbage cans out to the street than sit for a shoot with her father.

fotografz

Marc's shots are better than mine but I attribute that to luck :) Guys, thanks for the kind words about my daughter but she'd rather take the garbage cans out to the street than sit for a shoot with her father.
The more ya shoot, the luckier ya get :ROTFL:

EH21

Last edited:

mark1958

I appreciate all the points made here and appreciate that all can express their likes and dislikes openly. I really like the bokeh in most of the shots. I like David K's daughter. Marc W. I really love the examples you posted except the last one. Maybe it is just me but the harsh blurred light seems somewhat distracting.

As Bradley mentioned, I had actually tried to do some blur in the background of the example I posted. I am not sure what people think. I realize the image per se is nothing but just was supposed to be an example. the second image was taken the same way with the 210mm and extension tubes. THere was a brown fence and dirt in the background but cannot really see it here.

Last edited:

David K

Workshop Member
Mark, on a scale of one to ten the blue flowers are an eleven. Beautiful in every way...really special.

mark1958

David .. thanks.. i like this one but not sure it is that special. I did make a print of this one yesterday though and liked it.. Just need more wall space to hang all these images..

BradleyGibson

Mark,

I think you are dealing with a tough background there! But I think the 210 with extension tubes is doing a better job of it...

Thanks for sharing!
-Brad