The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

More Details on PhaseOne 45 T/S lens

lance_schad

Workshop Member
Just got this information in and wanted to share it with you :
Phase One has just formed a strategic alliance with the German based company Hartblei. Hartblei has a record of producing high end tilt/shift lenses for small format and medium format cameras.

Most lens parts and assembly is done at the Hartblei factory in Kiev Ukraine, but several parts and processes are also produced in Germany.

The general purpose of this Strategic Alliance is to explore opportunities of future lens development for the Phase One 645 camera.

You can go to our web site and see the specs and description of the recently announced lens:

http://www.captureintegration.com/2008/07/...t-shift-lenses/

Lance Schad
Capture Integration - Miami/Atlanta
Direct: 305-534-5701 x1 | Cell: 305-394-3196
Toll Free: 877-217-9870
Capture Integration
[email protected]

Evanjoe610

Lance,

Since this is a Hartblei made optic, what is the main difference from what you have in the pipe over the ones that Hartblei was selling a couple of years ago? Any new improvement and if so, what were the improvements to the optics?

Thanks.

Evan

lance_schad

Workshop Member
We do not have the final specs yet on what maybe the changes to the lens from the original Hartblie.
We should have all the details right before Photokina in a month.

Lance Schad
Capture Integration
[email protected]

Don Libby

I think I need one of these to test for the forum members. Don't everyone agree.:D
I’d have to go along with this simply because I currently have an older Hartblie and we could test them side by side – remember I’m just down the road from you in Tucson (actually in Catalina):angel:. So go for it!

don

Dale Allyn

You guys get the tests done, and all of the kinks worked out, then let us know. I'd love to have lens movements in at least one lens. Anything to keep me from considering the Sinar technical camera (arTec) with my back duct-taped to it.

About 2 years ago I directly contacted Arsenal in Kyev, Ukraine and discussed with their civilian optics department a possibility to modify one of my lens. Zavod Apsenal used to be a part of the Soviet military industrial complex and they manufactured a line of MF lenses , Hartnlei was marketing the lenses abroad. I was able to visit the plant and it was explained to me that there was very small demand for Kiev camera and lenses, some blocks of optical glass they had in stock, they did not plan any new development and the people who I met were not sure that Hartblei would be getting new lenses from Arsenal in the future.
In 2008 I talked to a Ukrainian friend (a Rollei dealer) who said that Hartblei found a new partner in Germany (Zeiss?) and Hartblei Ukraine had very limited stock of TS lenses from old batches and NO NEW Ukrainian lenses. It confirms my own analyses; Zavod Arsenal lost the Russian market and their attempts to penetrate the western markets failed.

I am hearing that Arsenal (a very good location in Kyev) will be sold by the Government and a new shopping mall and some homes will be build on the plot.
I think that Phase/Hartblei shall explain to the customers:
- what is the origin of the Glass and design/calculation?
- who will be manufacturing the lenses and where?
Right now I see only promises... and a knee jerk reaction on the Hasselblad TS announcement.
Yevgeny

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
I think that Phase/Hartblei shall explain to the customers:
- what is the origin of the Glass and design/calculation?
- who will be manufacturing the lenses and where?
Right now I see only promises... and a knee jerk reaction on the Hasselblad TS announcement.
Yevgeny
We have the minimally comforting assurance that Phase has historically backed good products, but otherwise promises and knee jerk reactions is all we have right now. When we have a real unit in house here I will tear it apart (test-wise) and let you know if it's worth anything.

Who cares who designed it or where it is produced*? All that matters is whether it produces IQ.

*excepting some geo-political or economic interest in "fair-trade" or whatever

Evanjoe610

Yevgeny,

Basically what you wrote in this thread, was exactly what I heard in the past 3 years.
The Zeiss- Hartblei connection, is as far as what I understood, to be a dead deal. The final product (which Zeiss USA) was shown as a a prototype at the Photo Expo Plus show 2 years ago. Last year it was NOT shown. Based on the conversation I had, Zeiss did not find it up to their quality measures. What Hartblei Europe has available 1000 prototype units they created.

Zavod Arsenal closed about roughly 2 years ago as of this coming September. This was told to by a former Kiev technician whom traveled there to visit old friends. The old factory was to be converted over to a shopping mall as indicated. I believe that its either Gem or Gum?

I have several customized Hartblei T/S lenses. It was a unique playtoy for awhile, but I guess that most affects can be created in PhotoShop. The LensBaby has a medium format option. It uses their own optics as far I understand.

lance_schad

Workshop Member
New details announced on Phase One 45 T/S lens. Here is an excerpt from the Press release dated today.

Copenhagen, September 3, 2008 -- Phase One A/S today announced anexclusive strategic alliance with Hartblei to drive medium format photographic lens innovation. The first product of this alliance is the Phase One 3.5/45 mm TS lens, based on the popular Hartblei 45 mm f/3.5 Super Rotator lens.

Specially designed for the professional photographer, this small, lightweight tilt shift lens is ideal for location or studio applications. It offers up to 12 mm shift and 8 degrees tilt for maximum flexibility.
Together Phase One and Hartblei have engineered important design advancements with this lens, including:
1. New 2008 batch optical glass with multi-layer coating
2. Improved 12 blade aperture design
3. Mechanics with tighter tolerances
4. New interior antireflection coating
5. More streamlined mechanical design
When used with the Phase One 645 camera system, the Phase One 3.5/45 mm TS lens offers a
simple, alternative to more advanced technical cameras. With it, photographers can adjust the plane of focus without changing the depth of field, correct perspective and selectively sharpen and soften an image – quickly gaining creative possibilities that cannot be realized in post-production.

The Phase One 3.5/45 TS lens comprises a simple eight-lens optical system. Each element is coated with a multilayer anti-reflective coating to reduce internal reflections, increase image transmission efficiency
and enhance contrast. The new lens is also is supposupported by Phase One’s Lens+ and Focus+ optical correction technologies available in Capture One 4.

As soon as we get one in our hands we will post a full review on our website.

Check out the new bundle solution we have listed @ http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3131

Lance Schad
Capture Integration
[email protected]