The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Your opinion requested: P25+ demo or p25 refurb Kit ($12K vs $14K)

jdbfreeheel

Hi all,

I'm looking for your quick thoughts regarding a potential deal/purchase. I may have the possibility to purchase a demo P25+ db for Mamiya AFD for approx $12K. Also, as we know, Phase One is clearing out refurbed P25's (non-plus) with the new Phase One AFD III kit for $14K.

I already have a Mamiya AFD in decent condition.

My main shooting is landscape, documentary/travel and some light architecture but would like to possibly do some fashion in the future.

If you had the choice between the demo P25+ for $12K or the refurb P25 (non-plus) with the AFD III kit for $14K, which would you choose and why?

Thanks,

Josh

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Hi Josh:

The AFD2 body is a pretty significant improvement in AF speed and overall functionality over the AFD, while the AFD3 body is maybe more of an incremental improvement over the AFD2. Bottom line is a used AFD2 body kit is under $2000 used (I actually have one listed here for $1800 with the 80), so for under $14K you could get the added extras of the "+" back. What I'm saying is for $14K, I'd probably rather have a P25+/AFD2 combo than a P25/AFD3 outfit, and I'd rather have the AFD2 or AFD3 body over the AFD body. Another thing to keep in mind is the resale value of your AFD body -- they seem to be holding at just under $1000, which lowers your total cost of entry to either package further.

Hope this helps,

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I have to agree with Jack. I would rather see you go for the Plus bak overall than try and get the new body the AFD II is still a very viable body and I am assuming next year Phase will come out with a new body again with WL finder and more like the Hassy or Hy6 style . Seriously I would buy Jack's body and get the P25 plus which I have myself. Not trying to sell his body but to me the best option overall. Plus the the resale will hold better on a plus

lance_schad

Workshop Member
I would have to agree while the P25/P645AF is a great deal and will perform well for your described needs, if you have the opportunity to get a Plus model (at that low price, we have one available at a slightly higher price , but has a VA warranty on it)and use an AFD/II that is the way I would recommend that you go.

Lance Schad
Capture Integration - Miami/Atlanta
Direct: 305-534-5701 x1 | Cell: 305-394-3196
Toll Free: 877-217-9870
Capture Integration
[email protected]

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Personal I would buy from Lance which i have but the service from the the Capture Integration folks is truly worth the price for getting a Phase back. I just feel more comfortable. the history of a used back is known and they have tracked all of there backs since the beginning coming from Phase. You need help there just there for you PERIOD. From a Pro view you just can't touch that kind of service. I know as well the other reps here are coming from the same cloth, with this kind of money involved my feelings are go with known companies.

Don Libby

I totally agree with Guy. Contact Capture Integration either at their Atlanta or Miami office. I've said this before, getting the right dealer is much like a good marriage. I equate a good marriage as a partnership where each partner grows and trusts one another and won't do something to jeopardize the relationship. I totally feel that way with Capture Integration.

don

D

ddk

Hi all,

I'm looking for your quick thoughts regarding a potential deal/purchase. I may have the possibility to purchase a demo P25+ db for Mamiya AFD for approx $12K. Also, as we know, Phase One is clearing out refurbed P25's (non-plus) with the new Phase One AFD III kit for $14K.

I already have a Mamiya AFD in decent condition.

My main shooting is landscape, documentary/travel and some light architecture but would like to possibly do some fashion in the future.

If you had the choice between the demo P25+ for $12K or the refurb P25 (non-plus) with the AFD III kit for $14K, which would you choose and why?

Thanks,

Josh
Assuming its in good condition, the 25+ without a doubt!

The + series has better image quality better performance and far better resale value. Currently the regular 25 units with relatively low actuations are going between 6k-7k, many dealer demos, but try to find a used + series. You can always buy the AFD III a little later.