The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Talk Me Off the Ledge

fotografz

I've read every single post in this thread without skimming ... (how un-busy am I :ROTFL:)

There's almost nothing I do not agree with despite some polar opposite opinions. They are based on various personal needs and requirements which will never line up synergistically).

Jeff, I looked at your work and marveled at how you wrangled each image to express a similar signature look and feel regardless of what gear or media was used.:thumbs:

I have an S2P and all four current lenses, as well as a pair of M9s and slew of M lenses. When I first demo'ed the S2 over 1.5 years ago I wasn't yet persuaded, not to mention that only 2 lenses were available then. So, I waited to see what happened with the IQ as more people started using it, and what other lenses became available. It changed enough to warrant a second look at the end of last year.

My dealer provided a S2P to extensively test, which included some hiccups with the demo camera which were promptly resolved. Here is what I found:

IQ: It is fairly easy to see the S2's family resemblance with the M9 files. I could easily make my M9 and S2 files look to be cut from the same cloth. The only visual difference was the physical size of the S2 files. However, it is true that the discipline of Medium Format shooting has to be observed, so obviously the shooting experience is different ... and things like DOF are also obviously different. I found that fairly easy to adapt to since I have always shot some form of MF.

MFD Comparisons: At the time of the S2 demo, I also had a Hasselblad H4D/40. I bench tested and field tested both cameras with as close to the same focal lengths as I could manage ... I primarily used the HCD 35-90 on the H4D/40 because it is widely acclaimed as one of their best lenses yet even outperforming primes in those focal lengths. IMO, the S2 35 and 70mm edged out the H4D/40, and I think did so primarily based on the optical performance ... even using the DAC corrections in Hasselblad's Phocus software. I sold the H4D/40 and moved to a H4D/60 for my studio and various commercial assignments that I often use on a view camera with digital view lenses.

Take with and handling: compared to the H4D kit, the S2 is much easier to transport. While some of the S lenses are just as big as some HC lenses, they easily stand upright in my transport bag and the 35mm S lens is narrower compared to the HC35 or 35-90. The S2 body is like any pro-spec DSLR and takes up much less space then the H4D does. Handling is simply the same as most 35mm DSLRs, except that I've found the interface of the S2 to be faster. It is NOT a 35mm DSLR in terms of having to adhere to the previously mentioned MF disciplines.

The Back-Up issue: This is a dilemma with any high-end gear. Guy is right, there is no substitute for a back-up. But the back-up will be a compromise to what you determined the application of the higher end gear was intended for. I sure the heck don't have two S2s, nor 2 H4D/60s to take anywhere, and I sure the heck wouldn't carry either as a back-up for the other on an extended trip out of the country without an entourage of grips and PAs. In reality, even when shooting a commercial job locally, there isn't an immediate replacement available unless I rent something well in advance to cover my bum (not that any client I have would pay for that anyway). So, while I have back-ups, any of them would be a compromise to the original intention that warranted a MFD camera. That said, I go nowhere without a back-up ... which is more than evident when shooting weddings where even having a camera store right across the street wouldn't be fast enough to avert chaos and disappointment. On my recent trip to shoot a wedding in Boston, I carried 2 M9s and 2 Sony A900s with relatively redundant lenses ... and was able to take all of it on board with me.

Lens availability: Your guess is as good as anyone's. I have a standing order for the S24 mm, but am beginning to doubt my need ... the 35 feels pretty wide ... perhaps because of the aspect ratio of the S2? The few times I've needed wider I did a stitch of 2 or 3 frames like Guy suggested ... (what I like about the S lenses is that the Nodal point is etched on each lens).

-Marc

mtomalty

Hey Jeff,

Please place your order for the S2 asap.
Since we use the same dealer I'm looking forward to picking up your M9 system on the cheap :)

Seriously, the seed is planted and your mind is all but made up. Pull the trigger.
I've used a demo M9 over the weekend and,without question, files from this camera
will not print to a large size in the quality you seek coming from a large format background. If output size is what you're after then the answer is clear about which product you should choose in the Leica lineup (though personally, I believe you'll get much more value for your money purchasing another MFDB brand.)
As for backup strategies, why not just hold on to one of the Mamiya 7's and a pair of lenses?

Mark
www.marktomalty.com

fotografz

Interesting recent development:

I just did a boo-boo to my S2 (too stupid to reveal here ... but as Guy said, s**t happens).

Called my dealer Sam at the Classic Connection @ 10AM ... he e-mailed me a FedEx label. I Dropped it off to fedEx at 2:30PM today

Loaner S2 will be delivered from Leica tomorrow AM, and stay until mine is fixed.

:)

-Marc

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor

I just did a boo-boo to my S2 (too stupid to reveal here ... but as Guy said, s**t happens).

Called my dealer Sam at the Classic Connection @ 10AM ... he e-mailed me a FedEx label. I Dropped it off to fedEx at 2:30PM today

Loaner S2 will be delivered from Leica tomorrow AM, and stay until mine is fixed.

-Marc
I'm not saying nothing.

tsjanik

Just a thought...mild heresy but here goes.

Let's assume that Jeff buys an S2(-P) and needs a backup.

Pentax P67 Body
P67 55
P67 105 or 100 Macro
Adapter

All for half the price of a second lens.....they are giving these things away right now. Not fast aperatures but pretty bulletproof stuff....might work in a pinch.

Bob
Depends on which church you frequent. Along with a 645N, I have a 67II as a back-up for the 645D. The 67 lenses are usable on all of the bodies and until I have something wider than 35mm for the 645D, the 67 45mm and 35mm fisheye are available for wide shots.
This thread has taken on a life of its own, but back to the OP, I have a feeling the decision was made before the post, whether Jeff knew it or not.

Don Libby

I have a feeling the decision was made before the post, whether Jeff knew it or not.
Agree, not sure if he's looking to be talked out of or talked into however my money is he's going for or already by now has ordered the S2.

Either way I wish him the very best of luck.

Don

Don Libby

-Marc
I cringed when I read this! Good luck with the outcome.

Don

hcubell

-Marc
This "back up" strategy can work great, but not in all cases. In October, 2009 I was in Southern Utah for a week of landscape photography. On late Friday afternoon, my H3D died. It was too late to reach anyone to do a Saturday FEDEX delivery of a loaner. I could not reach anyone till Monday, and the quickest a loaner could be shipped to me was Monday. I would not have received the loaner till Tuesday evening. I was leaving early Wed. morning. Bottom line is that the hot swap did me no good. The same happened to me in italy the year before. I had a Canon 5DII as a back up, but still, I was very upset that I could not use the system that cost me $50,000. I am not a professional photographer, but my windows of opportunity to photograph in distant locations are at least as important to ME. The only thing I sort of trust is my Phase back, and in any event I cannot afford a second one. I would never trust any camera made by Mamiya, Hasselblad or Leica. On every trip, I now travel with two H1 bodies and the Canon 5DII. Two levels of redundancy.

Guy Mancuso

Well i will just bring up our last workshop a DF shutter went down on a attendee and Jack was kind enough to share for two days until a body came than another attendee dropped his DF/Back and 70-150 right on the rocks in Sedona . Lens was toast back and body survived. Okay that was 2 out of 8 people that something happened. Now to them as hobbyist may not have mattered since it was not client based but don't let anyone kid you they where pissed and they spent a lot of there time and money to go to the workshop and they wanted to shoot for there pleasure. Believe me Jack and my heart sank on each occurrence and felt terrible and so did everyone else. I'm not saying a hobbyist absolutely needs a backup that is up to them but I am saying every Pro does as he is responsible to his client and risks are far reaching than just blowing a shoot it can lead to a career. I'm personally a big advocate of the client is always first. But thats me

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
To expand on Guy's comments, particularly as I was the DF/75-150 shooter, my trip wasn't ruined because although the 75-150 was toast for that trip, luckily it was on the penultimate day and I did also have another AFD II body, lenses, Leaf Aptus 65 back and my Alpa outfit not to mention the M9 that I physically had with me when the rock & lens played bash'em up. At worst I could shoot something even though I wasn't exactly "photographically inspired" at that point. :eek:

Poor Steve who had the camera die was in a much less fortunate situation MF-wise (had it not been for the oodles of gear amongst us) although he too had a Leica plan B if necessary. Sure, we're amateurs and benefited from Guy & Jacks excellent relationship with the dealers to ensure that any hiccup was temporary, but the fact remains that we were all spending a considerable amount of time and money to be in the middle of nowhere to shoot.

darr

I'm personally a big advocate of the client is always first. But thats me
x2!

If the hobbyist saw themselves as the client, maybe then the concept of backup would be more important.

Back in the old days, (1980s-90s) when I shot a lot of special events, I left the studio with no less than two Hasselblad setups and three F3 setups. Lighting was always 4 heads packed, but only used 2. The anxiety of screwing up a job due to gear mishaps was a threat I lived with. It never happened and it was because of my checklists and gear backups.

Gear mishaps, people mishaps, environmental mishaps, etc. are part of a photographer's life. :cry:

Guy I just had to put my hard earned 2 cents here!!

fotografz

I think Jeff gets the point about back-ups. Trouble is there is no equivalent back up in the middle of no-where, or if you are on a commercial assignment with paid crew and models, unless it is 2 of everything ... which is not likely given the budget constraints, as well as the added load.

I back-up my S2 with a Sony A900 and 24-70 zoom ... or the M9 and 2 or 3 lenses which takes up about the same space as the Sony kit. Bummer if it happens, but better than nothing.

The Hasselblad H4D/60 has no equivalent in my gear box because of it's applications and use of view camera or HTS/1.5 with movements and sheer file size. Closest would be the S2.

We buy these cameras because of their unique attributes and very few of us can afford two of them ... so it will always be a compromise of the original intent.

Personally, I agree, I'd keep the Mamiya M7 and take along a few rolls of film as back-up. It's be great to shoot B&W with anyway.

-Marc

djonesii

Workshop Member
re hobyists and my backup plan .....

I shot a lot of studio ..... Pay for time and models out of my own pocket, and never see a direct cash return on it.

When I had the ZD, it never failed me, but I could never shoot an entire shoot with it. Traded up to the P30+, and last Sat, shot an entire shoot with it. AFD-II batteries died mid session, went to my bag, and got another set. My D7K + 24-70 was sitting on the shelf all lonely ......

Still missing a wide for the AFD, but have an Arsat 30mm in Mamiya mount on the way, should be fun to play with, may or may not replace me desire for a 35mm, but for $165 in the MFDB world, it was almost free. If I have a lens roll of a table in the studio, my only choice is a system that I would rather not shoot with, or change my ideas on setups. Better than 0, but still.

In the weirdness of the world, there is a traveling model coming to the studio tonight, I have a meeting 1/2 way through the shoot, with a chap buying a bunch of 4X5 holders, want to show him the camera, and I'm out of bag space. A very rare case where I will risk a shoot with no backup, Not my model, someone else is renting studio time, and is kindly letting me join ..... If it goes pear shaped, I'll just leave early.

If I was paying for studio + model, I'd sort out a way to bring the Nikon.

Is this dead horse beaten enough? :deadhorse:

Dave

Guy Mancuso

x2!

If the hobbyist saw themselves as the client, maybe then the concept of backup would be more important.

Back in the old days, (1980s-90s) when I shot a lot of special events, I left the studio with no less than two Hasselblad setups and three F3 setups. Lighting was always 4 heads packed, but only used 2. The anxiety of screwing up a job due to gear mishaps was a threat I lived with. It never happened and it was because of my checklists and gear backups.

Gear mishaps, people mishaps, environmental mishaps, etc. are part of a photographer's life. :cry:

Guy I just had to put my hard earned 2 cents here!!
Certainly hard earned too :)

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
There is a major distinction in the OP requirements thats never mentioned . How much gear can and should you take into situations you can t control ...100%? His two stated assignments where (1)Cuba to add to his book (which he took with his M9 s) (2) a remote village in eastern europe..to photograph the people in the village.

He has no client,no deadline,no expectations other than own. I would expect that the Cuba trip could be done again but the eastern european village probably is a one shot deal. His wants to produce a book and for the village 30x40 prints.

Sure the OP can throw in complications like I want to shoot interiors and I could point out that the village portraits would benefit most from a lighting strategy.

The biggest risk he has is that he will lose all his equipment in a single transaction . Living in southern florida ..a number of us know what going through Cuban customs means and we know people that had their equipment taken . After that you can t leave anything unattended ..ever. So packing a couple of M s and few lenses means you could lose your laptop . Taking a roll bag in with “all your stuff” makes you a target .

In eastern europe ..pro s don t go without a fixer .

This clearly makes going with a single system ....liking riding without helmet . But the major risk factors can only be mitigated to the extent that you can carry and control your equipment.

Of course who knows if the OP requirements represent his future shooting requirements .....perfect for a few assignments might be very limiting on future opportunities.

He clearly needs a strategy that considers all of these factors ...one camera will not cut it without some luck.

PeterA

Guy I blame you and Jack with your two body strategies from when you both were into Leica M shooting for all my redundant back-up gear I never use!:ROTFL::ROTFL:

I can remember Jack posting a shot of his Domke with his packing ideas for two M8's and four or five or six lenses...was so impressed I copied the set-up myself. I can even fit and Alpa with a digi back packed into one of the pockets in its own little holder in the same set-up in a pinch.

I love this Domke set-up. I find MF just too hard to travel with - unless I am in a car.

Guy Mancuso

There is a major distinction in the OP requirements thats never mentioned . How much gear can and should you take into situations you can t control ...100%? His two stated assignments where (1)Cuba to add to his book (which he took with his M9 s) (2) a remote village in eastern europe..to photograph the people in the village.

He has no client,no deadline,no expectations other than own. I would expect that the Cuba trip could be done again but the eastern european village probably is a one shot deal. His wants to produce a book and for the village 30x40 prints.

Sure the OP can throw in complications like I want to shoot interiors and I could point out that the village portraits would benefit most from a lighting strategy.

The biggest risk he has is that he will lose all his equipment in a single transaction . Living in southern florida ..a number of us know what going through Cuban customs means and we know people that had their equipment taken . After that you can t leave anything unattended ..ever. So packing a couple of M s and few lenses means you could lose your laptop . Taking a roll bag in with “all your stuff” makes you a target .

In eastern europe ..pro s don t go without a fixer .

This clearly makes going with a single system ....liking riding without helmet . But the major risk factors can only be mitigated to the extent that you can carry and control your equipment.

Of course who knows if the OP requirements represent his future shooting requirements .....perfect for a few assignments might be very limiting on future opportunities.

He clearly needs a strategy that considers all of these factors ...one camera will not cut it without some luck.
Don't disagree here except the risk factor on a loss. Yes he has no client to answer too which does help some but seems like a lot of money in travel expenses that could be a possible loss. The other factors like Cuba itself sure does make you hair stand up on the back of your neck. Lets say you go in with a S2 and even 2 lenses what kind of coin are we talking here 35k and we all know used is pretty hard to get and I know a lot of folks bought demo's but still maybe 32k with 2 lenses. This is why i thought keep the M9 and just get a cheap used MF P40+ for example which honestly folks is a freaking awesome back. I shoot it and it is everything he is looking for in print size and he could easily get in for under 20k with a couple lenses and lower that bigger loss if something really funky happened. Hell than sell it after the trip. Whats bugging me here is the traveling and risk to lose gear, lose travel expenses and /or go down. Even if he did take the risk of the S2 and its cost factor in there I would do what some of us do like Marc and I have a Canon 24-70 or something and have that as the backup at least. Where I see his real dilemma is his M9 and selling that gear which he really likes a lot. Reason I said keep that go the used MF route seems to make a lot of sense. But again his call and we can only offer up some idea's here. Good news he has a lot of options to consider. I know what i would do without thinking twice about it.

Actually someone mentioned we went way OT well sure we did but talking about backups is a very good subject in general outside the OP's situation and for everyone these are considerations we have to look at and many don't want or need one per say but the ideas are here and that is a good thing. Frankly I'm a advocate that every PRO should have at least a backup of some sort and make it a law. I know I know but you need to protect yourself and your client.

Guy Mancuso

Guy I blame you and Jack with your two body strategies from when you both were into Leica M shooting for all my redundant back-up gear I never use!:ROTFL::ROTFL:

I can remember Jack posting a shot of his Domke with his packing ideas for two M8's and four or five or six lenses...was so impressed I copied the set-up myself. I can even fit and Alpa with a digi back packed into one of the pockets in its own little holder in the same set-up in a pinch.

I love this Domke set-up. I find MF just too hard to travel with - unless I am in a car.
I owned 2 M8's and 4 loaners. Enough said. LOL

Domke F803 and J803 are some of the best Leica bags around. Maybe cheap in cost but make up for it in use. Okay I'm not a label toting kind of guy. LOL

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
No argument on the need for a backup strategy and that having a single S2 is very extreme . (and not recommended). The difference in a professional assignment ...is that you have your reputation on the line and a timetable .. Like a location wedding you don t get a “hall pass” and you need the backup ready to go . Same for a commercial shoot.

On this assignment he has money ,time and some invested emotional capital....important but not quite the same .

Personally I would rather have 2 bodies of the same type so that all the gear would have natural backups . (batteries,chargers,cards etc) .

But really he has to make some compromises to pull it off. If he goes with a single S2 ....then he has to assume the risk .

Don't disagree here except the risk factor on a loss. Yes he has no client to answer too which does help some but seems like a lot of money in travel expenses that could be a possible loss. The other factors like Cuba itself sure does make you hair stand up on the back of your neck. Lets say you go in with a S2 and even 2 lenses what kind of coin are we talking here 35k and we all know used is pretty hard to get and I know a lot of folks bought demo's but still maybe 32k with 2 lenses. This is why i thought keep the M9 and just get a cheap used MF P40+ for example which honestly folks is a freaking awesome back. I shoot it and it is everything he is looking for in print size and he could easily get in for under 20k with a couple lenses and lower that bigger loss if something really funky happened. Hell than sell it after the trip. Whats bugging me here is the traveling and risk to lose gear, lose travel expenses and /or go down. Even if he did take the risk of the S2 and its cost factor in there I would do what some of us do like Marc and I have a Canon 24-70 or something and have that as the backup at least. Where I see his real dilemma is his M9 and selling that gear which he really likes a lot. Reason I said keep that go the used MF route seems to make a lot of sense. But again his call and we can only offer up some idea's here. Good news he has a lot of options to consider. I know what i would do without thinking twice about it.

Actually someone mentioned we went way OT well sure we did but talking about backups is a very good subject in general outside the OP's situation and for everyone these are considerations we have to look at and many don't want or need one per say but the ideas are here and that is a good thing. Frankly I'm a advocate that every PRO should have at least a backup of some sort and make it a law. I know I know but you need to protect yourself and your client.

Ben Rubinstein

You make a good point Roger, Backup for me at a wedding is 3 bodies and my assistants if everything goes pear shaped. Extreme? I had a wedding in Jan '07 when both of my bodies died on me...

On the other hand backup for a job like this is a far less extreme need as you say.