The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Tech cameras and IQ.

Don Libby

I've got 2-different tripods both Gitzo. The main is a GT5540LS with a Cube attached and use this over 90% of the time. The other is a older GT2540 with a RRS BH40 I use when I know I'll be hiking over a mile or when I'm feeling lazy.

cs750

Carrying ANY tripod when flying: Thanks Terry, Guy, Jack, Don & Ken for the info on your Tech camera tripod. My experience is any tripod eats up a suitcase; I have wondered about checking the tripod on a flight in a light weight tripod case...but some concerns. The other possibility is to Check a larger bag with warm clothes and tripod. When traveling by plane to a region where warm clothes may be needed for sudden weather changes my tripod seems to be the biggest problem. I can carry my electronics gear onboard, but have little room for anything else. What works for you? Thanks, Charles.

Last edited:

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I'll check a tripod (3541LS) in a dedicated padded tripod bag. I will wrap the legs in bubble wrap and remove the head which I put in the camera bag. On my way home I'll replace the bubble wrap or stuff the bag with dirty laundry :eek:

When I'm working from my car I use a 5541SGT with Cube. This is simply THE best tripod I've ever owned albeit at the expense of being somewhat beefy and so not something I take on plane trips.

Last edited:

Terry

Carrying ANY tripod when flying: Thanks Terry, Guy, Jack, Don & Ken for the info on your Tech camera tripod. My experience is any tripod eats up a suitcase; I have wondered about checking the tripod on a flight in a light weight tripod case...but some concerns. The other possibility is to Check a larger bag with warm clothes and tripod. When traveling by plane to a region where warm clothes may be needed for sudden weather changes my tripod seems to be the biggest problem. I can carry my electronics gear onboard, but have little room for anything else. What works for you? Thanks, Charles.
My 2 series fits diagonally in a mid sized rolling suitcase - it is a little too big to carryon that bag.
My traveler can go anywhere in almost any bag and really takes up very little room.
When traveling with photo gear (except a small m4/3 kit) I almost always have to check a bag because my cameras and tech I always carry on.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Large roller duffle and take the head off and throw legs in bag. Put between cloths. Unless I am traveling with my lights and that bag will fit a human in it. Lol

PeterL

I'm using a Gitzo 2541L with a GH2780 ball-head for my Alpa TC. I've removed the center column which I never used anyway, and put a Kirk FP-200 plate on it. This add a nice hook for my bag and makes the tripod more stable. When traveling, I take the ball-head off, the tripod then fits diagonally in a standard 22 inch roller-bag.

Cheers, -Peter

darr

When I travel via airplane, I like Terry, also travel with a Gitzo Traveler. It fits inside my ThinkTank Airport Ultralight backpack with my D700 kit and then the bag fits inside a Pelican 1510 wheeled case that is stowed in an overhead bin. I remove the RRS BH-40 head and place it inside the backpack with the legs. My Alpa Max kit is packed in another Airport Ultralight backpack that I wear as carry on.

In windy conditions, I hang the backpack from the hook of the Traveler and it remains stable. I tried this setup in Iceland last summer and it served me well. The most important thing I care about when I travel is security since I tend to travel alone. This is the reason I came up with my system of both kits getting in the airplane and within my view. It is not hard for me to change planes with one backpack on and the other secured in the wheeled 1510, plus I can switch backpacks out of the hard case in a flash if I need to.

I also use two other tripods when I work out of the studio. One is my trusty Gitzo 1325 and the other is a Gitzo GT3531s. I am petite at 5'3" so the 's' was a good 'used' buy through eBay. Both tripods have RRS BH-55 heads attached. One head is a real beater that I bought from a forum member for dirt cheap, but it works flawlessly and I use it when I shoot in the wetlands close to my home. I shoot with a tripod 100% of the time and would never leave home without the best I can afford.

Have fun setting up your kit!

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
On tripods, it depends how I'm traveling and what I'm shooting. If I'm shooting with a tech camera and will have a car close by my cube permits much quicker and more precise setup than anything else that I've ever tried, and the cube really requires a 3 series. Mine is on a Gitzo 3541LS with a Gitzo leveling base.

If weight matters I use an Arca monoball P1 on a Gitzo GT 2541EX - I've used the Gitzo all over the world in a huge variety of situations.

Either way for air travel I take the head off and put it and the legs in checked luggage.

jlm

Workshop Member
mine is the Gitzo 1327 cubed. I prefer the three sections, not four, at the expense of more compressed length and i like the elevating center column (slides), much easier for small ht adjustments (at the minor expense of some stability loss). and i use the hook to suspend my bag

Terry

On tripods, it depends how I'm traveling and what I'm shooting. If I'm shooting with a tech camera and will have a car close by my cube permits much quicker and more precise setup than anything else that I've ever tried, and the cube really requires a 3 series. Mine is on a Gitzo 3541LS with a Gitzo leveling base.

If weight matters I use an Arca monoball P1 on a Gitzo GT 2541EX - I've used the Gitzo all over the world in a huge variety of situations.

Either way for air travel I take the head off and put it and the legs in checked luggage.
Woody,
No issues with the cube on a 2 series. I haven't tried it on others.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
No issues with the cube on a 2 series. I haven't tried it on others.
I find that the Cube is very top heavy on my 2531 but that does have a center column. If it were mounted on a flat top plate then I'm sure that you could probably get away without it feeling like a club stick.

rga

I just got back from 7 days of hiking in the Eastern Sierras with an Alpa STC, 80mm and 35mm lenses and P45+ back. I used the Gitzo 0541 (1.75lbs) (load capacity 11.2 lbs) and Acratech GPs ballhead (0.9lbs) (load capacity > 25lbs).

Worked perfectly. Also, with the Acratech GPs, panos going further than the shifting abilities of the STC are easily done.

Just my experience...
Bob

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Just a quick note, with examples forthcoming over the next week, probably in a dedicated thread. My RM3D and 40 HR-W arrived yesterday afternoon. I got off a few quick test frames -- nothing worth posting -- but have to say WOW! The 40 HR-W is a freaking laser, clearly out-resolving the IQ180 sensor across the full zeroed frame. So sharp, I had to increase my Focus Mask setting on my IQ180 to *75* to get a thin enough "green" zone to ascertain precise focus zone! Even shifted (horiz) the full 15mm, the lens remains usable to almost the full corner -- I say almost because the lens physically vignettes just before the 15mm mark, call it 12.5 of total usable horizontal shift. From about 11 or 12mm out, the lens remains very sharp, but exhibits significant curvature, so subject matter in the primary plane goes soft with the extreme shift.

LCC cast is notably less than the with the 43SK as we knew, and corrects easily. Even though the 40HR distorts more than the 43SK, it is still very low relative to most of my Phase D lenses. Architectural or large product shooters will definitely want to correct however, and would likely correct the 43SK as well. As indicated in the earlier posts, the Alpa lens corrector does a fantastic job of linearizing the image -- kudos to Alpa for this incredible tool!

That's all for now, more to follow soon!

rga

...As indicated in the earlier posts, the Alpa lens corrector does a fantastic job of linearizing the image -- kudos to Alpa for this incredible tool!
Hi Jack,
Do you use the Alpa corrector in place of or in conjunction with LCC in C1?
Thanks,
Bob

Christopher

I got off a few quick test frames -- nothing worth posting -- but have to say WOW! The 40 HR-W is a freaking laser, clearly out-resolving the IQ180 sensor across the full zeroed frame. So sharp, I had to increase my Focus Mask setting on my IQ180 to *75* to get a thin enough "green" zone to ascertain precise focus zone! Even shifted (horiz) the full 15mm, the lens remains usable to almost the full corner -- I say almost because the lens physically vignettes just before the 15mm mark, call it 12.5 of total usable horizontal shift. From about 11 or 12mm out, the lens remains very sharp, but exhibits significant curvature, so subject matter in the primary plane goes soft with the extreme shift.
Told you so ;-)

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Hi Jack,
Do you use the Alpa corrector in place of or in conjunction with LCC in C1?
Thanks,
Bob
Here is the workflow: Run the LCC and process the file as you normally would in C1. Then you take the output tiff to a 32 bit version of CS -- I use CS4 since it's on my machine. Now run the Alpa corrector on the tiff, and save it as a corrected version. You could do your final editing in the 32 bit CS if you wanted, but I then take that tiff to 64 bit CS, and do all of your normal post editing.

Cheers,

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Told you so ;-)
Yes you certainly did! But it was hard to know just how good it was until I had the entire file in front of me to scroll through at 100% -- wear safety glasses to avoid cuts on your eyeballs! :D