The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Tech cameras and IQ.

Thierry

Dear David

Thanks for your contribution.

I don't want to "pollute" this thread, but there are some more options available, when it comes to handgrips for the STC, namely the rotatable handgrip (add-on handgrip left/right, available in rosewood natural and in black).

Shown in the pictures is the alternative with release cable, with or without STC handgrip.

The rotatable grips can be set in over 20 securely locked positions by loosing one single screw. In this position and with the viewfinder one can shift vertically up by 18 mm (18 mm vertically down on the backside).

The viewfinder can obviously as well be mounted on the side, allowing for rise/fall shifts simultaneously

These handgrips are not displayed currently in the Alpa catalog of products, but some are available from stock and can be manufactured any time.

Best regards
Thierry

(b) the somewhat smaller size and weight of the STC and shape of its wood grip make it easier to get a secure hold and IMO more pleasant to work with. I can remove the camera from its case and mount it with no fear of dropping it. I must say here, though, that my trusted Arca dealer Walter Borchenko recently provided me with an optional grip extension which has made the Rm2d much easier to handle. Highly recommended.

Joe

Thierry,
Win some major points here ....... Market a metal adapter for your beautiful rosewood handles to fit other cameras.
Joseph
(RL3d owner, hint, hint, wink, wink)

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I have to admit, those rotating exotic hardwood handles look very cool!

darr

I am a longtime Arca user (4x5" film cameras, 6x9 film cameras, M2 digital studio), but I have to say, the Alpa's are prettier! I have black rubber hand grips on my Alpa Max and do find it to be a 'sexy tech' camera. Where function meets beauty is an easy sale for me.

What I am interested in (without opening a can of worms here), is focus stacking and the better focusing technique to get my dof stacks. Using a rail has been the standard, but reading through this thread has me thinking maybe there is a better way with helical lenses. I would not buy into the 120 macro with the Alpa because I felt the rail system for macro focus stacking was still better. I find myself sometimes blending 25+ exposures. Maybe there is something better now.

Anybody try the Arca R seies or Alpa cameras with the Schneider 120 macro and focus stacking?

gazwas

Anybody try the Arca R seies or Alpa cameras with the Schneider 120 macro and focus stacking?
Darr, I would imagine the lens to focal distance to be too great to practically use a pancake camera for macro. Unless that is I'm not understanding helical mounting of lenses. IMO rail cameras and their bellows between lens and sensor are better suited to macro work.

darr

Darr, I would imagine the lens to focal distance to be too great to practically use a pancake camera for macro. Unless that is I'm not understanding helical mounting of lenses. IMO rail cameras and their bellows between lens and sensor are better suited to macro work.
Thanks Garth, I thought that was the case, but you never know where technology goes these days. :)

gazwas

I'm an Arca ML2 user but have casually been looking at pancake cameras recently and I wonder if Thierry, or any other Alpa user could please explain a question about the Max. Why have Alpa put rise and fall on the lens side and lateral shift on the back? I don't know any situation why this would be a better solution than both movements on the back of the camera like the RM3di. So much so, Alpa make an adapter to convert the camera so it functions in this way.

Any ideas why the Alpa method is preferable to the Arca?

RodK

Thierry,
Win some major points here ....... Market a metal adapter for your beautiful rosewood handles to fit other cameras.
Joseph
(RL3d owner, hint, hint, wink, wink)
Joe, Arca-Swiss does offer handgrip extensions which work very well.
Allowing easier handling in a carry or hand-holding situation.

Rod

rga

gazwas,
You should watch this video on the Alpa site:
http://www.alpa.ch/en/products/cameras/camera-bodies/alpa-12-max.html

Firstly, you can put the lens on either side and the back on either side (but not both on the same side at the same time :LOL: ). But with the stitching adapter, which you see in the video, you can do three levels of "rise" and leave the lens in one position. Then you can do 3 shift pics at each level of rise, giving you 9 images to stitch without the lens being moved.

IMO this is the best way to do panos; don't move the lens. You can also, with the T/S adapter, incorporate either tilt or swing depending on the way you mount the adapter. The T/S adapter can either be mounted on the lens side or the back side.

Hope this helps,
Bob

I'm an Arca ML2 user but have casually been looking at pancake cameras recently and I wonder if Thierry, or any other Alpa user could please explain a question about the Max. Why have Alpa put rise and fall on the lens side and lateral shift on the back? I don't know any situation why this would be a better solution than both movements on the back of the camera like the RM3di. So much so, Alpa make an adapter to convert the camera so it functions in this way.

Any ideas why the Alpa method is preferable to the Arca?

Shashin

Does a Linhof count? For macro work, you are better off with a rail for the reasons stated above and for the fact you can focus with the back.

gazwas

gazwas,
You should watch this video on the Alpa site:
http://www.alpa.ch/en/products/cameras/camera-bodies/alpa-12-max.html

Firstly, you can put the lens on either side and the back on either side (but not both on the same side at the same time :LOL: ). But with the stitching adapter, which you see in the video, you can do three levels of "rise" and leave the lens in one position. Then you can do 3 shift pics at each level of rise, giving you 9 images to stitch without the lens being moved.

IMO this is the best way to do panos; don't move the lens. You can also, with the T/S adapter, incorporate either tilt or swing depending on the way you mount the adapter. The T/S adapter can either be mounted on the lens side or the back side.

Hope this helps,
Bob
Hi Bob, I have watched the videos and that is what prompted my question. I know I can convert the camera with the purchase of an additional bracket but I wasn't really asking how you do stitch but more of a camera design related question. Why have Alpa designed the Max with movements that are usually done together on the back or lens rather than seperate on the Max?

Is is just a design decision or is there a specific reason/movement I'm not seeing.

darr

Does a Linhof count? For macro work, you are better off with a rail for the reasons stated above and for the fact you can focus with the back.
I am unaware of a Linhof pancake type camera. Thank you for your comment, but when does it matter if you focus with the front or the back if the plane of focus is stationary? The image perspective does not change with these rail-less cameras as with view cameras + movements from my experience.

I am curious about macro done with a pancake type tech camera (Arca R series or Alpa) with helical lenses + extensions.
Anybody?

Last edited:

darr

moving the lens to set focus will change the image size and perspective
Yes, thank you, that is what focus stacking is for.

I would like to know if there is a benefit to creating stacks from a helical focusing device rather than rail movements. Rail movements made on my Arca M2 may not be as precise as the movements made from the R series helical device. I have read that the R series' helical device has 4-5 spins for incremental focusing and that is probably more precise than my rail which has some slop in it (view camera slop). I am curious if anyone has put it to the test for focus stacking in macro with a macro lens and extensions.

ARCA

darr

You can combine your ARCA-SWISS M-two camera with a Rm3Di
and use the rear carrier for coarse focussing, the helical focus mount
of the Rm3di for fine focussing or stacking.

Marc
ARCA-SWISS
Customer Support

Shashin

I am unaware of a Linhof pancake type camera. Thank you for your comment, but when does it matter if you focus with the front or the back if the plane of focus is stationary? The image perspective does not change with these rail-less cameras as with view cameras + movements from my experience.

I am curious about macro done with a pancake type tech camera (Arca R series or Alpa) with helical lenses + extensions.
Anybody?
Sorry, I was not clear. The Linhof is a rail camera (I have used a Horseman technical camera as well though, but it was not great for macro). Focusing from the back with a rail camera keeps the lens to object distance the same and makes camera positioning easier. Before we motorized our scopes, the focus stack was done manually by turning the focus knob a certain number of degrees, usually about a quarter turn. I would expect you can do the same with your rail camera. You may also be able to add a scale to the focus knob.

Most of the focus stacking I done is under compound microscopes. The focus increment is related to the depth of field, so the precession of focus movement is relative. Capturing more stacks is just adding data, but no real change in results.

Have you ever been to this forum?

http://www.photomacrography.net/

This might give you some great information.

darr

Most of the focus stacking I done is under compound microscopes. The focus increment is related to the depth of field, so the precession of focus movement is relative. Capturing more stacks is just adding data, but no real change in results.

Have you ever been to this forum?

http://www.photomacrography.net/

This might give you some great information.
Thanks for the info and yes, I am familiar with that forum. It has a lot of valuable info. I use the millimeter scale on my rail for stepping and I am sure a focus knob scale may be a little better, but there is always a tiny bit of slop with the view camera. Still wondering however, if the Arca R series focusing device is better than my rail (without motor).

Thanks again,
Darr