The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Mamiya Electronic Release Connector Type

Jack V.

I have been experimenting with radio remote shutter releases for the Mamiya 645 AFDs (I,II,III, etc.). To continue I need to find out the receptacle type used (i.e. the receptacle connector used on the end of the Mamiya remote shutter release cables). Can anyone provide the source or the manufacturer and model number for these connectors?

These are the connectors that plug into the Mamiya AFD bodies. They are 1/4 inch diameter eight pin female connectors. Your help will be appreciated.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I don't have the source, but I do have a Mamiya Radio Remote Set, part #RS402 I'd be happy to sell! Should not be tough for somebody to reverse engineer.

Jack V.

Thanks, Jack. I have already made one radio remote using the end of of a Mamiya Electronic release cable by replacing a Chinese unit's Canon connector with the Mamiya one. This is an expensive way when you consider that I spent over fifty bucks for the release just to get a two dollar connector! The radio remote set only cost twenty. I have some other ideas to experiment on but fifty to a hundred dollars per connector is too much!

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Well if you want it, I'd sell my entire radio remote kit for $125.

Jack V.

Thanks anyway, Jack but I'm set for now. I also have an infrared remote for a 645 Pro but it is not worth the cost of a cable ($99 on ebay) just to get the connector. If I find the connector I can experiment further at a reduced cost.

PeterL

I was looking at this awhile back, because it's the same connector used on the PhaseOne backs, and I would like to make a shorter wakeup cable than the long spiral thing. Was never able to source it, so if you find out, I would love to know.

Cheers, -Peter

ondebanks

Jack,

I replied to your similar post over on LuLa, and will paste my reply below here as well. However, since you wrote a bit more here, it seems that you are really asking a different question to the one I answered - you're not so much interested in the connector pin-out specs, as just getting a connector for very little money. Well, my Quantum cable was $49.95 on ebay, not too bad, especially as I also had the benefit of paying in my native currency of Euros at a decent exchange rate. Hope you do find such a cheap source...

Ray

------------------------------------------------------------
[ Lula reply ]

Hi Jack,

I adapted a Canon-clone timer/intervalometer/remote release to work on my Mamiya 645AFD, and posted a description of this here a few months ago.

I don't think you'll find the connector as a part on its own anywhere. Your best bet is probably to find a cable which already has one of these connectors; perhaps used or new-old-stock. Mamiya made 2 types of manual switch cables (long and straight; short and spiral). My source was a Quantum Radio Motor Drive Cord #467, like this one.

It had the advantage of already having a 2.5mm jack at the other end of its spiral cable. The fact that the jack was 2-pole (mono, if it were audio) told me all I needed to know: the Mamiya bodies are triggered simply by closing a switch, completing a circuit between the 2 poles of the jack. This implied that only 2 of the 8 pins on the body/connector mattered as well. By a little trial and error, I found that these are the 2 pins at 8 o'clock and 10 o'clock on the body socket - the ones drawn with a * below:

[ignore the dots/periods...they are only necessary because the getdpi engine strips the spaces out of my original "diagram"! bit of overkill with the engine there guys!]

If you just have a Mamiya body, get a piece of wire and hold it to these 2 pins; this closes the circuit I mentioned, just as pressing the normal shutter release does. That little piece of wire will trip the shutter at whatever speed the body has been set to, including the Av/Tv/P modes.

Good luck with your project! Keep us posted as to progress.

Ray