The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Please Help with Purchase of Phase one P30+

rollsman44

I have been shooting for over 30 years but always wanted to buy a MF digital system that was affordable. I saw a Phase One P30+ 645AFD with Phase one 80mm lense. I am not sure if this is the right system for me. I shoot wedddings part time now( semi retired) and can use any help you can give me .
I dont know if I need special software or how the noise is at a higher ISO and idf its wort me selling my Canon 5D and 24-70L 2.8 lense and a Mamiya 55mm
2.8 lense . Not sure of the price yet. It has 6100 captures. Thanks so much
rollsman

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Well couple things you should know the P30+ is a great back and its a great 31mpx sensor with high ISO rated at 1600 and using Capture One is what you would want to use. But its really good at ISO 800 with pretty good noise control after that than it may not be the one to get depending on what you are shooting and if you need high ISO work with it. So you need to be careful how you evaluate what you shoot and what maybe better.

Lets assume that you just want to shoot MF now. If that is the case than there maybe be better options as well. The P40 + for example is good at Full resolution at ISO 800 but it does have sensor plus but only 10 mpx and it is sensor binning which bins the file down to 10 mpx but you get a better effective ISO to 3200. I say 1600 is the limit here as I own this back today myself and use it at ISO 1600 pretty effectively.

You actually have to answer a couple questions here to see if the P30+ makes sense. If you looking for a back that can go to ISO 800 at 31mpx than it is very good at that and wonderful files from it. Many threads here on the P30+ and many images as well just from me alone. But it maybe more helpful to hear your intentions and what you plan to dod with it. Little hard to advice you without some of that data as obviously we could be steering you wrong.

Obviously MF system they are slower to work with and deliberate in approach . Also there are wedding shooters that shoot MF but you also need to have your game face on to work with them.

The other thing here is you need to do a lot of homework on these system to understand how they work and what you can gain from them. Here I say read the MF section pretty good here and some of our reviews as well. I personally owned this back for some time and did like it a lot but there is a lot to learn in MF.

Maybe give us some more insight to what you are after and that may help

Shashin

Have you also considered the Pentax 645D? It is really good at ISO 1600. It is really a sophisticated camera, especially compared to the Mamiyas. Secondhand lenses are reasonable and plentiful. Having an extra 10MP is not bad either. The interface and monitor is so much better than the Phase backs.

Vincent Goetz

Subscriber Member
I just took the leap this year to a P40+. I am finding that it is a more thoughtful and slower approach to seeing and capturing images. I have taken to carrying one of my Nikons with me as an alternative for some shots and just wish I had someone to carry everything. Someday maybe...

Medium Format is a great way to reinvent yourself and open your eyes to a new way of seeing...but it is quite different from 35mm.

rollsman44

I am also thinking of the Phase one AFD 20+ and 80mm 2.8 lense for some weddings. I will only be shooting about 6-8 weddings per year as I am semi retired. I just have this desire to buy one that wont Break the bank and give me good IQ. I dont want to hassel with complicated software either. Right now I use LR 2. Any suggestions ? thanks rollsman

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
My advice is always the same.

Instead of finding a deal and deciding if it's right for you I suggest you find out what's right for you and then find a deal.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870 *| *Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
I just have this desire to buy one that wont Break the bank and give me good IQ. I dont want to hassel with complicated software either.
If you want good IQ then software which is designed and refined to get the most out of the files you shoot is an essential part of the equation. You can use LR2 with most (or at least many) digital backs but you will not get the most out of what you paid for.

In addition to quality many photographers have found Capture One to be faster and more flexible than LR2, especially for workflows like weddings where editing through a large number of images in a short time is essential.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870 *| *Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

Shashin

I am also thinking of the Phase one AFD 20+ and 80mm 2.8 lense for some weddings. I will only be shooting about 6-8 weddings per year as I am semi retired. I just have this desire to buy one that wont Break the bank and give me good IQ. I dont want to hassel with complicated software either. Right now I use LR 2. Any suggestions ? thanks rollsman
I would look at a Pentax 645D. You can shoot both RAW and JPEG and have them saved to separate cards. Processing will be easy in Lightroom--if your don't like the JPEGs, you can go to the RAW. The Pentax 75mm f/2.8 is inexpensive and plentiful--the A version is manual focus, the FA is autofocus. The camera has a really good interface and is easy to use.

BTW, the 80mm/75mm lenses are not normal on these cameras. They are a short telephoto.

rollsman44

Hi shashan, I dont want to spend the $$ . I want something for me so I can use it for the FEW weddings I do and to satisfy my craving. thanks, rollsman

Shashin

Hi shashan, I dont want to spend the $$ . I want something for me so I can use it for the FEW weddings I do and to satisfy my craving. thanks, rollsman
Sorry. I am not sure the deal you are getting with your P30+, but I have seen prices with a camera and lens about the same as a Pentax 645D. But the choices are hard for an "affordable" system. It was tough for me to scrap together what I needed to get my camera. It can strange here where some think the only thing better than spending $25K on a camera is spending $50K.

RodK

There are some nice deals on Mamiya DM(leaf) systems as well, at moderate prices.
You can use the LCII, LR2, or Capture software on these files as well.
Lenses are decent to great. Used arearound as well. Schneider now making some lenses for them too.
ISO noise not quite as good as some of Phase, but OK to 400. As you use flash not a badissue. Easy to use and a decent LCD screen as well. New ones now come with LCII and option to Capture software, I believe.
Anyway a possible alternative.
Doug Peterson is right. Find out what you need/want then look for a deal.
I can answer questions too, so email me if you want more info.

djonesii

Workshop Member
Figure out what you want to do with the system .....

Find the system that fits today's needs.

Think about your later needs.

See if system still fits.

Find best price, and if its too high, run away don't walk because the you will have surely under-estimated by 15-30%.

I spent almost a year with a system that met most of my needs before I went for a P30+, and I think that was a sound choice. I bought very carefully, and it did not cost much to "rent" that system for a year. Had I decided that MFDB was not for me, I was still out the cost of shoot or two however, and models are not cheap!

Dave