The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The forum's newest Sinar MFDB owner

Stuart Richardson

Well, I finally did it. I took the plunge into medium format digital. Somewhat by accident, really. I had decided that I would buy a Hy6 to shoot film after I found a pretty decent deal through Calumet. When I was speaking to their representative, he asked me why I didn't shoot digital. I told him I did not have 30,000+ to spend on a back. He said, "how about 10,000?" Yes please. He had a 54LV that had been used for only one shoot. The photographer made so much money on the first shoot, that he decided to immediately upgrade to the 75LV.

So, I managed to get a basically brand new latest generation (well, at least until Photokina) 22mp back for a price that I could stomach. This is great for me, because I already have the Rollei lenses, 4560 film back and most everything else I need to use the system. The camera is brand new, but at a slightly better price because of the package deal. The total package was a reasonable amount -- covered by my recent sale of the DMR, Leica M and R lenses and other things I have been selling from my apartment.

In any case, I am very much looking forward to it. While I would love the Emotion 75, I believe that 22mp is plenty for me...if I need more I can always shoot 4x5. The real pleasure though will be to shoot the fantastic Rollei lenses with the convenience of digital -- and have the ability to pop on the film back for black and white.

I will not get the kit until some time mid next week, but once I do I am sure I will have some images to post. I look forward to sharing the pleasure and pain (hopefully not too much pain!) of shooting these esoteric, but extremely capable camera systems.

David K

Workshop Member
I'm happy for you Stuart, sounds like you got a heck of a deal. This and the Rollei 110 from ebay... have you considered a career as a personal shopper :) Looking forward to some images when you get your kit.

helenhill

Wow Stu.......
Fantastic news !!
Congrats on taking the Plunge :D
Medium Format is Divine, coupled with Digital I can't even imagine

Iceland Landscapes & the music scene are waiting

Cheers ! Helen

Stuart Richardson

Thanks David. I know! I have had a string of good luck. Maybe I should consider a career as a personal shopper though...I always seem to have very good luck in finding things at a very good price. If anyone wants to pay me to buy them stuff, that's fine by me.

This current deal was one that I could not refuse, but it was not one that I was looking for. It just fell in my lap, so I have to be quite thankful for it.

Thanks Helen -- I can't wait to bring it over to Iceland. MFDB is used extensively there, so I hope it will help me compete when I get there. I plan to see if I can rent it as well to subsidize it a bit.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Sounds like you got an awesome deal Stuart -- congrats and happy shooting with it! Welcome to MF digiland too!!!

Stuart Richardson

Thank you all for the kind words. I find it a little ironic since I have just spent the evening in rubber gloves mixing PMK pyro and developing a few rolls of film...perhaps I will be doing that a bit less (I doubt it though, I still love black and white film).

evgeny

I shoot in Jerusalem past week with Contax 645 and Distagon 35mm and Kodak b&w film.

Got really an old-looking grainy image of Jews in Western Wall.. :thumbup:
Wow, I can record images, which look like history as they were recorded 100 and more years ago! I was never able to catch such an old-fashioned image with Nikon and 35mm film.

I don't know how to show same impression using my 54M back... :talk028:
The back is too good to show grain and old mood.
I never use/like photoshop, no, no, thank. However I spend a lot of time to scan the film. Then I add only a bit of processing in linux gimp just to crop, add a bit of contrast, etc, and magic happen. :ROTFL:

Enjoy your new 75LV :thumbup:
The b&w film is your natural companion as well :D

Congratulations, Stuart!

I am using my 54LV on the Hy6 and I am happy with the quality and speed of shooting. More than enough for my purposes in terms of resolution.
Also I like the e54LV on my ALPA with shifts much more than the e75 I owned briefly, it demonstrates less digital artefacts than the eMotion 75 did and the 54LV needs less software corrections; I am able to shoot ALPA without doing a lot of white files through a Plexiglas plate.
Yevgeny

EH21

Stuart,
That's exciting news and I'm happy for you. If you end up ever having a chance to shoot B&W film and DB on the same subject I'd be very interested to see the comparison.
Regards,
Eric