The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Crazy LCC idea

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Not sure what the hell I am thinking here but sitting on the back patio i came up with this crazy idea. Yea maybe I need more sleep. But hear me out and have no idea if this would even work. But might be worth a try . READ my quote below in signature..

I'm sure some engineer, scientist or math guru will shut this down but screw them. LOL

Okay say your on a Tech cam with a 43 schneider for example and your doing a stitch with back in vertical position. For a base LCC to store in C1 for example. Say you did a 2 shot stitch than did you 2 shot LCC. Now here comes the fun part . You actually stitch the LCC first and make a Tif file. Not sure you can apply a LCC correction on a Tif but say a file extension you could. So after you make the 2 shot LCC stitch you do the LCC correction and store that. Than just process out your normal 2 shot images stitch going forward than bring it back in C1 and apply that 2 Shot LCC stitch. Here you could just happily go along shoot all day and make 2 shot stitch shots than process them out and simply apply the double LCC . Seems to me this would save a ton of time and simplify the process. Okay question would it work and would even CS5 figure out how to stitch a LCC without any detail in it. Maybe not?

I know I'm going to pay for this one but hell with it. Photography is about experimenting. Would anyone like to try this and report.

Yes i made the appointment with the shrink already 10 am the white truck pulls up. LOL

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
One problem is when you stitch two exposures there is some blending and line detection going on along the stitch. It's rarely stitched along a straight line, if for no other reason than to correct small errors in registration. When forced to stitch across a gradient blending is used. The LCC stitch would have to reflect this.

thomas

- you can't apply LCC to a TIF
- it's much easier (and much faster) to apply LCCs to a number of shots in C1 simply by copying the LCC setting of the actual LCC shot and applying it to a selection of shots (i.e. select all the shifted shots in question with the LCC shot as primary variant ... then simply click ALT + COPY/APPLY)
- working with TIFs in C1 is limited to quite a small color space ... so your workflow would through away the full potential of the files

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
It would also be tough for software to find definitive detail to stitch a pair of LCC's together.

Bottom line is doing them after each shot is pretty easy and fast -- and if you do them religiously, you never have to hunt for the right LCC to use for any given frame.

Don Libby

Not too crazy an idea and I wonder why I never thought of it...

That said I don't see how it would work. The thought of stitching 2 or more LCCs seem to be counter productive to the whole idea of doing an LCC.

Jack's correct - once you have a workflow figured out it becomes second nature and fast - shoot LCC - capture image - shoot LCC - capture image. I do this for every image I shoot unless I don't make a change in the position. The first thing I do after setting the tripod up is shoot a LCC. I'll also shoot a black screen (either hand or lens or hat or lens cap) when I change locations or to set a pano apart of other images.

The best shortcut is a good workflow that works best for you.

yaya

Just teasing you guys but you can now skip LCC and go straight to stitching in C1 if you're on a Leaf back:)

alan_w_george

Along the same lines (i.e. reducing the LCC processing pain)...

I stitch a lot (~90% of my work). Mostly 2x2 with a P65+ (IQ180 soon, I print BIG:). I create LCCs for every shot (for various reasons, but mainly because LCC is easier and more reliable than taking notes on each shot (voice memo recording on the back would be nice, BTW)), so after a good outing, I can be faced with processing upwards of a hundred LCCs. This is by far the most time consuming and uninteresting part of my process. It seems to me it would be simple to implement batch processing of LCCs in C1. Select all the LCCs and then let it cook over night. I always use the "exclude dust" due to the time a full LCC takes. If I could batch process LCCs, I would really care how long.

Anyway, if anyone from Phase is listening, please, pretty please, batch LCCs.

Last edited:

cly

It seems to me it would be simple to implement batch processing of LCCs in C1. Select all the LCCs and then let it cook over night. I always use the "exclude dust" due to the time a full LCC takes. If I could batch process LCCs, I would really care how long.

Anyway, if anyone from Phase is listening, please, pretty please, batch LCCs.
+1. This would be terrific!

Chris

It's definitely doable. Using something like autopano pro, you can obtain a layered stitched pano, then you'd have all the masks to drop in the LCC's. That part could be automated. I know a lady wrote CornerFix for the M9, which is essentially the same thing. The processing (I mean the actual code) in cornerfix could be used to fix the layers in the stitched file.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I really do not know how consistent the lenses are for centering and so forth, but if you know the lens and you know the sensor, and if the shift were know (via controls) than an approximation of the lcc could be computed.

The stitch first lcc later is a problem since it is not cler which pixels cale from which frame unless it is kept in layers.
then it does get interesting but more complicated rather than more simple.
-bob

LonnaTucker

Just teasing you guys but you can now skip LCC and go straight to stitching in C1 if you're on a Leaf back:)
That's right Guy, you don't have to come up with crazy LCC schemes when you are a Leaf user!

What I have always appreciated is that Leaf has given it's users multiple options for lens cast corrections (and also raw file processing) and now takes it a step further with corrections available through the DB.

Also, Leaf's LC11 software with LCC correction is much faster than C1 and I can output corrected .mos raw files that can be processed in Lightroom, C1, Raw Developer, PS Camera Raw, etc.

Yair, I still like the little stand alone software LCC corrector from a few years ago. I wish that would be updated for use with current Macs.

alan_w_george

That's a tad disingenuous.

From what I understand, you still have to create the LCC in software and then load the LCCs in the back. AND you still have to select and apply the LCC to the image, you just can do it in the back/in the field versus in software/post.

You make it sound as if with Leaf your LCC days are over, which is far from the truth. But don't get me wrong though, it is a step in the right direction but not the final LCC solution. Anyway the same feature will probably make it into the IQs at some point.

rga

Just a quick question: when you all do an LCC shot, do you open up a stop or two to try to get the histogram as centered as possible?
Thanks,
Bob

It would also be tough for software to find definitive detail to stitch a pair of LCC's together.

Bottom line is doing them after each shot is pretty easy and fast -- and if you do them religiously, you never have to hunt for the right LCC to use for any given frame.

alan_w_george

Just a quick question: when you all do an LCC shot, do you open up a stop or two to try to get the histogram as centered as possible?
Thanks,
Bob
You learn from experience how many stops based on the situation. For example, lens is in shadow and subject is brightly lit, you may go 3 or 4 stops open. If bright light is directly entering the lens 1 or even 0 stop adjustment maybe the case. Exactly centered does not really matter as long as nothing is blown.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Thanks,
Bob
Yes. But to be perfectly clear, I open up by two SHUTTER speeds, not lens aperture, so as both the capture and LCC are at the same aperture. I am of the belief aperture affects LCC, and so why I never bought into the "standard set" concept. Second, note than in some situations you do not need to open up to get a centered LCC -- so it is important to look at your LCC histo.

yaya

That's a tad disingenuous.

From what I understand, you still have to create the LCC in software and then load the LCCs in the back. AND you still have to select and apply the LCC to the image, you just can do it in the back/in the field versus in software/post.

You make it sound as if with Leaf your LCC days are over, which is far from the truth. But don't get me wrong though, it is a step in the right direction but not the final LCC solution. Anyway the same feature will probably make it into the IQs at some point.
You create the files, load them to your CF card(s) and then in the field you select them much like selecting WB or color space when setting the shot. From there the raw files are created cast and falloff free. You do not need to apply anything and can skip the whole LCC post work

That's a big step forward. Of course we would rather prefer to do away with the whole thing but with most LF lenses there's no escape...

rga

Yes. But to be perfectly clear, I open up by two SHUTTER speeds, not lens aperture, so as both the capture and LCC are at the same aperture. I am of the belief aperture affects LCC, and so why I never bought into the "standard set" concept. Second, note than in some situations you do not need to open up to get a centered LCC -- so it is important to look at your LCC histo.
Of course; aperture remains constant.
Rather than shooting a LCC exposure after each shot, if stitching I think shooting all the to-be-stitched images first, then shooting the associated LCCs afterwards would be preferable. The less time between stitched shots, the less change in clouds, etc... Only applicable to landscapes I guess, but that's what I mostly shoot.

Thanks for all the great suggestions everyone. VERY much appreciated.
Bob