The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hy6 and DOF Preview

Mitchell

About a week ago Steve Hendrix gave me the chance to use a Hy6 and a H3D. Echoing everyone else, I think Steve is great and it was good to meet him in person.

Unfortunately, I didn't like the ergonomics of the H3D which seems not aimed at using a Waist Level Finder. Aside from the lack of metering with the WLF, the grip is positioned for eye level use only.

I was very happy with the ergonomics of the Hy6. Wish it was as well integrated, refined, and as inexpensive as the H3D 31, but very impressive considering it's a new design.

One thing I noticed with the Hy6, which may also be true with other MF cameras, is that DOF preview is actually useful. I always thought it was a great idea, but in my 35mm experience the viewfinder is always too dark to show the range of in focus areas. On the Hy6, DOF was clear in the viewfinder, and more easily seen than on the review screen. I think DOF Preview could become a regular part of my picture taking with the Hy6.

Best,

Mitchell

BradleyGibson

Both DOF Preview and Mirror Lock Up are very conveniently positioned and are very usable.

The H2's MLU control was well-positioned too, I should add.

I guess originally coming from Canon, getting access to any controls like these without having to go to a menu seems like a luxury! :)

-Brad

Mitchell

Just to be clear, it isn't just the ergonomics which make the DOF preview useful, it's that the viewfinder is so bright that, unlike 35mm, even closed down you can clearly see the DOF.

Best,

Mitchell

David K

Workshop Member
Mitchell, agree completely about Steve, he's top notch. Also, since he reps several different lines a visit with him gives you the opportunity experiment with different systems. Interesting observation with regard to the DOF preview... I've ignored it up till now but will give it a try. As far as the Hy6 being less integrated than the Hassy, while that may be true, it's also part of it's appeal (at least to me). I recently sent my Hy6 body in for a checkup and simply switched the back over to my Contax 645 and kept shooting. Almost like having a backup camera but, for me, better.

BradleyGibson

I'm also another satisfied customer of Steve's. (I purchased my Hy6 from him). He is very responsive and goes above and beyond in resolving any questions or issues I've had.

-Brad

yaya

Mitchell maybe you can ask Steve to show you the AFi 6 alongside ht the H3DII-31.

It is closer in price, much quicker and as far as integration goes you may find that it is as good (single battery etc.) with the pluses of having a proper WLF experience and Shcneider/ Zeiss glass?

Yair

Mitchell

I should add that the Hy6 I used was equipped with the new revolving adapter.

It is very impressive. Just twist the back until it stops. No muss no fuss. Feels very solid!
Though it seems excellent, I doubt I will opt for it because I rarely shoot portrait, and I have a 45 degree prism.

But, for anyone who needs it, it will be great.

Best,

Mitchell

Mitchell

Graham,

What I mean is that the few times I wish to shoot portrait, I can put the prism on and though a bit awkward, it will be better than a WLF, and I can muddle through.

Best,

Mitchell

David K

Workshop Member
Actually Mitchell you can rotate the back on the Hy6 without having the revolving adapter and not twist yourself into a pretzel. Just need to be careful that you line up the electronic contacts properly and not rotate it in the wrong direction (it fits both ways). Of course the revolving adapter is easier but rotating the back is a very viable alternative.