The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

hc 50-110

one more question...

have never worked with the hc 50-110 lens since i do own primes.
now it comes that i need 60-70mm for documentary/portraits (the 50mm is too wide/disorts too much).

my question is: is it worth to go for the 50-110?
i've heared that it's quite bulky + it's weight causes problems sometimes when you 'store it the wrong way'. in addition to that the AF seems to be quite slow... on the other hand it has f3.5 up to 70mm which supersedes the hc 50?!?

how about all that facts?

since i need every single f-stop i dont want to go for the 35-90 which seems to be modern, quicker and lighter.

any suggestions/recommendations?

Udo

Hi plainwhiteshirt,

you're right, this lens is a big and heavy piece of glass, but it is a fantastic optics. When I am out in the desert on rough terrain this lens stays on the camera most of the time, partly for its convenience (no lens changing in those dusty places) and for its performance. I have been using it besides the old HC50, the HC80 and the HC100. Tastes and perceptions are individual, so my impression is that the zoom performs better than the old HC50, at least for the wider f-stops, the HC80 is almost equal at comparable f-stops and the same goes for the HC100. In the end I sold the HC50 and HC100.

I own and use this lens now since 4 years and had never ever any issue. Of course I am taking care of it, i.e. proper packing in a padded Pelicase, etc. Before I bought this lens I had some doubts regarding its performance, due to my experiences with some lenses for FF and 45mm film, but it turned out to be keeper, at least for me.

Regards from the Red Sea,
Udo

Analog6

Yes, I second that. I love mine and it is my walk around (well, lug around) lens on my H2 kit. I also use a Pelicase for storage, and have found this lens so good I've sold my HC 80mm as it became unused. You won't regret buying one

Dustbak

Same here, it is an excellent lens. One caveat, when fast AF is important to you (all is relative don't expect Nikkor AF-S speed) the 35-90 will serve you better.

Both zooms (I own both) are excellent tools. I used to lug around the 50-110 all day and indeed it is heavy! The 35-90 is much nicer to handle. Quality wise there are only a few primes that perform better than the zooms, actually IMO it is only the HC100 (have not used the HC50II yet).

I forgot the 50-110 is not only heavy but also a bit akward because it is a 'fat' lens.

Anyway, either one will not disappoint you.

Citizen N

Yes, the 50-110 is an excellent lens but heavy. Saves the fitness studio if used every day.

I own the 50mm II which is an excellent lens, too and it has advantages open. But stopped down to 11/16 quality - especially in the edges of the H4D-60 - are nearly the same !

Michael

Analog6

Same here, it is an excellent lens. One caveat, when fast AF is important to you (all is relative don't expect Nikkor AF-S speed) the 35-90 will serve you better.

Both zooms (I own both) are excellent tools. I used to lug around the 50-110 all day and indeed it is heavy! The 35-90 is much nicer to handle. Quality wise there are only a few primes that perform better than the zooms, actually IMO it is only the HC100 (have not used the HC50II yet).

I forgot the 50-110 is not only heavy but also a bit akward because it is a 'fat' lens.

Anyway, either one will not disappoint you.
I'd love a 35-90 but it does not go on the H2 body, it's an HCD lens