The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leaf AFi 10 (with more to follow)

fotografz

I suspect the HTS will not work with the H1 body. For one, Hblad says nothing about this on their site, and two, they've already shown they care little about component continuity as evidenced by the H1 and H2 bodies not being compatible with the new 28mm lens. They want to sell H3's with their digital back and no one elses, that's obvious.
You "suspect" incorrectly. Hasselblad says it WILL WORK with all H cameras right on their site:

http://www.hasselbladusa.com/news/hasselblad-announces-revolutionary-new-tilt-and-shift-adapter.aspx

"The HTS 1.5 uses optical elements, which enlarge the image circle of the lens by a factor 1.5 to allow for the +/- 18 mm range of shift movement. Focal length is also magnified by 1.5. Tilt can be set between -10° and +10° and the adapter can rotate +/- 90 degrees, maximizing the flexibility of using the plane of sharpness for various technical or creative uses. The HTS 1.5 adapter is compatible with all H system cameras for basic mechanical use. Access to automatic digital lens corrections and focusing requires that the HTS 1.5 adapter be used together with a Hasselblad digital capture product."

It also appears integrated automation will make it easier to use than a standard tech camera:

"The HTS 1.5 is equipped with integral sensors on all axes that tell the camera exactly where the lens is positioned and what its optical axis point is, so that correct perspective and lens alignment are obtained automatically within the camera. The sensors also communicate key data to the camera in order to enable Hasselblad’s digital lens correction for optimal image quality. Certain lens movements require that the image be refocused, and with the HTS 1.5 solution, this occurs automatically too. These superior results are achieved by integrating superior digital technology with the benefits of superior optic movements."

The refocusing is one of the biggest "pain-in-the-ass" of using a T/S camera ... so automation of this is a welcome feature IMO.

Last edited:

David K

Workshop Member
The guys that design software corrections for this stuff must be geniuses. I can barely understand what the issues are and these guys have fixes for it. Hat's off to Hassy if they pull this off well, and no reason to suspect they won't.

David Klepacki

Man, it seems like a lot of trouble and expense to build the HTS and DAC corrections. You would think there would be a better way...like making a T/S lens with superior optics and movements from the get go.

N

nickr

Regarding the use of the HTS 1.5, what does this mean if you are using a Leaf chip on a Hassy H1 body:

"Access to automatic digital lens corrections and focusing requires that the HTS 1.5 adapter be used together with a Hasselblad digital capture product."

Does it mean you need a Hassy chip back in order to focus? Or are they speaking of auto focus only, and you actually can focus with a non "Hasselblad digital capture product"?
Or, are they considering an H1 body "a Hasselblad digital product" even if it's another companies chip attached to it?

thanks if you know.

Last edited:
N

nickr

You "suspect" incorrectly. Hasselblad says it WILL WORK with all H cameras right on their site:

The HTS 1.5 adapter is compatible with all H system cameras for basic mechanical use.[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B] Access to automatic digital lens corrections and focusing requires that the HTS 1.5 adapter be used together with a Hasselblad digital capture product."
I saw that spec page previously and it didn't mention the H1 body and the wording is vague regarding the specific question, that is, an H1 with other non Hassy backs using the HTS, and what "basic mechanical use" means. I'm not the only one who is questioning performance with an H1, a lot of people are unclear, and thus I still suspect performance on an H1 at this point:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/H3DII-50.shtml

fotografz

Man, it seems like a lot of trouble and expense to build the HTS and DAC corrections. You would think there would be a better way...like making a T/S lens with superior optics and movements from the get go.
The HTS works with four different existing focal lengths ... not one. 28, 35, 50 and 80mm. What would four medium format T/S lenses cost?

The DAC correction software already exists.

David Klepacki

I found this interesting expression in the Urban dictionary:

turd polishing - The act of trying to make something hopelessly weak and unattractive appear strong and appealing. An impossible process that usually results in a larger, uglier turd.

fotografz

The data sheet on the HTS has an image on it of the H3DII-31...
They should show it on a H1, which is a discontinued model?

Hasselblad says it'll work on any H camera ... mechanically. Which makes sense because you can use their backs on any viewcamera.

Since the older models do not have the connectivity communications of the later model H3D or H2F, the software enhancements won't be available to H1 or H2 cameras.

yaya

They should show it on a H1, which is a discontinued model?

Hasselblad says it'll work on any H camera ... mechanically. Which makes sense because you can use their backs on any viewcamera.

Since the older models do not have the connectivity communications of the later model H3D or H2F, the software enhancements won't be available to H1 or H2 cameras.
There was a question about its compatibility with the 31...

PeterA

Either something works or it doesn't .

I suspect that the thing will work - I am encouraged by the value and the potential of DAC correction technology - by just looking at the quality of the file I get from my HC28 processed in Phocus using same.