The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

surprised or not?

PeterA

Is anyone really enthused by the new offerings recently announced by the digi back makers so far ? if so please tell me why. I need some excitement.

Graham Mitchell

The full 645 size sensor is a breakthrough I've been hoping for although I'd prefer to see a 30MP version with 2fps and great high ISO performance :)

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I am pretty excited about what I have seen so far but more important is the MF world is doing something to upgrade itself. That tells us there is a real market and the back folks are paying attention to it and they all have something new. I think that alone excites me although i may not buy any of it or just something from it all but I like the fact that stuff is coming to market and a lot of it. I think a lot of new folks are looking to go big and that is good for us in the long run.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I agree -- with a long view, improvements at the top can only mean reduced prices below. However, based on current cost/performance criteria, I am really excited I bought the P45+

:D,

LJL

I have mixed, but optimistic feelings at this point. I think some of the announcements offer some very interesting advancements. The full 645 sensor being one, the full-width and internally rotatable sensor for Leaf being another. I am still a bit mystified by some of the "missing" things, such as better LCDs, but there is still time between now and when these hit the market to see more improvements (my optimism!). The promise of some new lenses is also very interesting, but until they are actually delivered, they are vapors.

On balance, I do think there is a lot to be excited about if one is interested in MF. The only dampening effect is the sticker shock on many of the newer offerings. As Stuart commented, this can be very good news for some of the "entry" level gear that are seeing nice price discounts, so that is a good thing also.

LJ

David K

Workshop Member
Not really surprised or excited yet. There's nothing I've seen that would make me feel I jumped too soon and got the wrong kit. The huge files that these new backs will generate is not something I need or want. I think the Sinar arTec and Leaf's revolving sensor are pretty cool. I do suspect there will be some exciting news announced in the next few weeks... hope I'm not wrong.

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
I'm interested to see what might be happening with lenses ... especially with Phase as it directly affects me. I'd love a fast, portrait bokeh king 110/2 in a Mamiya/Phase mount.

LJL

I'm interested to see what might be happening with lenses ... especially with Phase as it directly affects me. I'd love a fast, portrait bokeh king 110/2 in a Mamiya/Phase mount.
...and maybe with a leaf shutter also??:D

LJ

Guy Mancuso

I think I have found it but need to get out in the morning and give this a go but the Mamiya 150 2.8 just maybe the ticket so far from a limited use so far. I may have found my 75 lux replacement

mark1958

Well this is not like the good old days when upgrading DSLRs was within reasonably affordable. For what these new cameras cost you can still buy a home in some cities.

I still remember buying the original Canon D30 and paying 2600 dollars for it..

woodyspedden

Not really surprised or excited yet. There's nothing I've seen that would make me feel I jumped too soon and got the wrong kit. The huge files that these new backs will generate is not something I need or want. I think the Sinar arTec and Leaf's revolving sensor are pretty cool. I do suspect there will be some exciting news announced in the next few weeks... hope I'm not wrong.
I'm with you David. In fact instead of lusting after a larger back than my H3DII-39, I continually wonder if I shouldn't have gotten the Phase P25+ or an EMotion E54 and traded some additional pixels for additional pixel quality. I still find my CFV 16Mpx back to have some attributes which are not there (or I don't know how to get them) in the 39Mpx back. Very subjective but very real when looking side by side at prints.

However, I am not at all unhappy with my choice, just challenged by whether the trade-offs were the correct ones. So like all gear heads the only choice is to have both (203 FE and CFVII) so I can continue to use both and somewhere way down the line choose the one I feel I can live with.

Woody

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Woody,

I suspect that your comment "don't know how to get them..." has more validity than we know. My H3D II 39 seems more like ektachrome while the P20 CFV backs remind me of Velvia/ Astia/ Kodachrome depending on the circumstances of subject matter and capture. If we can move the 39s towards Provia/ Astia/ with profiles or newer raw developers I will be happy.

Resolution is without peer...

Bob

fotografz

Surprised Peter? Not really.

Excited? Not yet.

Interested in seeing what it brings in terms of real world image delivery? Yes.

1.1X crop has had little effect on me personally. I'm more interested in the newer imaging technology employed in some of these larger backs ... what visable IQ improvement it will deliver, and where it will lead.

As Mark K aptly pointed out, we're really getting into some serious, life altering coin. So any "incremental steps" need to be carefully evaluated.

IMO, it's a great time to be buying at the other end of the spectrum ... like my new H3D/31 that was reduced by $9,000., or other excellent and proven backs being offered at more reasonable prices.

PeterA

Yes I agree that yesterday's tech today is probably a great bargain if you think you need the horsepower. :thumbup:

Clearly the direction in MFD is an evolutionary process towards full frame chips. I guess some will see the move from 1.1X crop to a no crop as a very great benefit...I worry though that the marketing departments of these companies are running out of superlatives :ROTFL:

and as always the actual software to process the massive files and to work into a decent DAM strategy is a few generations behind - but then again software requires real work and BS doesn't work on a screen.:D

woodyspedden

Woody,

I suspect that your comment "don't know how to get them..." has more validity than we know. My H3D II 39 seems more like ektachrome while the P20 CFV backs remind me of Velvia/ Astia/ Kodachrome depending on the circumstances of subject matter and capture. If we can move the 39s towards Provia/ Astia/ with profiles or newer raw developers I will be happy.

Resolution is without peer...

Bob
Bob

I really agree. The trick to getting the most from these new backs is not trivial. I have been through the mill with leica M8, DMR/R9, Nikons from DiX through D3, Canon 1DsMkII etc. Now I have this wonderful 39 Mpx system from Hassy and all the wonderful Zeiss lenses as well as the FujiBlads and it is clear I don't know how to extract the best performance from this kit. I assumed that, with my knowledge of the 35mm systems, it would just be a subtle adjustment. Not so!!!!!LOL. I need a total adjustment of everything from attitudes to skills.

But from what I see in the images from those who know, the learning journey is worth the effort. I will just keep asking questions, shooting and adapting etc until I get it right. Love this stuff but need some additional skills/experiences.

Comments and suggestions always welcomed

Woody

Guy Mancuso

Woody you will gain a lot more knowledge at the lighting workshops. We have some of the best folks on site at the workshop with a ton of MF knowledge and experts with processing on hand. Not to throw out a ad but folks really need to come to this one.

PeterA

You know the benefits of MFD are subtle - except for resolution. In many applications - MFD is in fact inferior to a good DSLR. I dont mind stating the obvious.

Consider the obvious for example - to get the most out of the MFD you need very good light and lots of it - note how a lot of stuff posted her is shot in BIG LIGHT situations and the better stuff has fill and reflected liht added in..

So the lighting workshop is a great idea - and one of the lessons I am sure participants will come away with is that a decent lighting set-up is going to contribute much more to your shot than an extra 20 megapixels. In fact the extra megapixels - may in fact detract from your ability to extract the subtlety from your MFD files.

if people want to push the MFD makers to deliver 800 and 1600 and more ISO - all they are asking for is a dumbed down DSLR - this will take a year or so for people to figure out - by which time it will be common knowledge..and ther ewont be any decent backs left in inventory.

cheers
Pete