The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Amazing Sony Update - POne ... Pleaaaaase?

I don't know if you've seen this yet, so I created a little video demo of the latest Firmware update to the Nex5.

If Phase One can pull off something like this with Live View, my order will go in for a new back tomorrow!!! This would make using the Alpa an absolute dream. Focus confirmation on the DF replacement, forget it. Here's the link. http://youtu.be/UPQroziHz-M

yatlee

Paul, thinking about upgrade already? I don't know how much longer I can hold out after trying out the new IQ back. I hear you about GG focusing. ;).

Terry

The focus peaking on the NEX is a fantastic firmware update. I was working with it last night and confirming focus with manual focus was just so simple. Having it live on an IQ back would be incredible. However, for now on a tech camera focus mask after the shot is also working very well and already is one huge step forward.

Graham Mitchell

Nice. That's exactly what I've been asking Leica to do with the M10, but they could also put it in a 'retina' display which you see large and bright through a viewfinder so that you can still have the camera up to your face, and see the image in bright conditions.

Christopher

I bet it won't and I don't tink liveview will be usable in normal conditions. You will have to wait at least two more years for that.

Yat, I haven't yet tried or even fondled, ahem, sorry I mean handled one of those new backs yet, and cannot help but think about it.

Terry, I am hoping that something like this is what's taking so long for live view to appear!

Terry

Terry, I am hoping that something like this is what's taking so long for live view to appear!
From the tidbits I've heard, I would not rest my hopes on it. As Christopher said, live view seems like it is going to be somewhat limited in its capabilities.

Christopher

I would say limited is still nice. I would put it more like usless for most users for outdoor work. I do not plan to carry a huge ND filter with me, just so that I can drain the batteries in turbo mode. ;-)

I think there are much better and important things to put into these great backs. I would take things like. Auto zoom 1:1 on a new shot, 1:1 switching between 2-3 shots woithout rendering time. This would be much more helpful and amazing, compared to useless liveview.

gazwas

Is the Sony a CMOS or CCD sensor as if that technology was in a MFD back I'd order on today. Amazing!

Gazwas, it's a Sony Exmore (exmoor, something like that anyway) CMOS sensor.

The leaf back I have can at least run live view without overheating (tethered), but I suspect the sheer volume of data would require significant processing.

In further testing of the Sony, it seems to struggle with very fine details, the accuracy is not very high, so I don't think this is a solution, for example, to achieve optimum infinity focus, but would be brilliant on say a handheld TC Or similar. The focus peaking is not available when zoomed in using the normal manual focus tools.

Last edited:

Stefan Steib

This is indeed like every camera should focus today - and even with a manual lens with no electronic connection, so the camera/chip does it all.
Very cool ! I was already looking into getting one but decided to wait for the new updated "Nex5 CX5 ?" but now I am very tempted to get it _NOW_.
I have a bag full of beautiful small Olympus lenses waiting to go on there with a tilt adapter. Can you imagine how nicely tilt will fall into place with this when applying it ?.......:thumbup:

Greetings from Munich
Stefan

pegelli

In further testing of the Sony, it seems to struggle with very fine details, the accuracy is not very high, so I don't think this is a solution, for example, to achieve optimum infinity focus, but would be brilliant on say a handheld TC Or similar. The focus peaking is not available when zoomed in using the normal manual focus tools.
That's not my experience after some testing this weekend.

accuracy: I put it medium or low and don't go for just any peaking but look for the maximum at the point you want to focus (just like normal focussing). Just seeing a red or yellow outline doesn't mean it's sharp, you really have to adjust for the maximum signal to achieve optimum focussing. Some peaking outside the "accepted" dof does occur (especially in bright highlights)

fine detail: one of my MF lenses focusses "beyond" infinity and focus peaking clearly sees this and can be used to adjust the focus ring using for instance a distant tree line (which usually has lots of fine detail)

zoomed in: focus peaking works fine when zoomed in 7x or 14x on the LCD, even better than in full sensor view, because if you see a peaking outline there it usually is well within the dof range.

Last edited:
pegelli, Wow thanks for pointing this out ... I found that two things were causing it to not render. Firstly I had set the colour to red and secondly I normally shoot digital cameras in B&W mode albeit with a RAW file. After setting things back to Medium and White for peaking and to STD for the colour, things are showing as you describe!! It's totally amazing. I've also found that holding it very steady with fine details may lessen the effect, some camera movement helps the peaking to show.

What's more there is another incredible feature!!! Peaking works whilst shooting video. This is ABSOLUTELY brilliant as you can focus between different spots whilst recording ... it is amazing. I basically bought the Nex for video and this just blows me away! Wow

pegelli

You're welcome wentbackward, you also helped me forward ;) . Never realized video would also work with peaking. I'm not a videographer, but I'm sure that knowledge will come in handy one day.