The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Mamiya 150 mm 2.8 D lens

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
These are shot at F5 to 6.3 . Now if there is more detail in here than I can even look at. This is truly scary sharp stuff. Think I found the lens that equals the back in resolution

Guy Mancuso

Back to 2.8 . Seriously folks i have yet to see this kind of detail yet in a lens from anyone. I am really hard to impress and this was money well spent. I never seen a lens this sharp wide open

Guy Mancuso

Come to papa ... just what I was looking for ... :D

Guy, how quick is the lens to focus? Same or better than the 80?
It is actually quite fast maybe a touch and I mean a touch slower. Manual focus is very nice but your moving some elements like the 75 lux but better

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
You guys suck! Lance keeps ordering these 150mm f/2.8 lenses and shipping them immediatly to you.

Stop buying them faster than they come in so one can sit on the shelf as a demo unit and I can test it (read: shoot some hot girls on the beach). As a plus Lance will knock a little off the price for being lightly used.

Doug

P.S. (above post is sarcastic; I'm happy for all of you receiving them and look forward patiently await a slight slowdown that will allow me some play-time)

Guy Mancuso

:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL: Doug you need Lance to send a model with each lens. LOL

Seriously this lens is just flat out dangerous. Wait to you test it Doug, it's just scary sharp.

ddanois

Lance says he's on with Mamiya right now poking them on delivery. Oh yeah baby! This lens is exactly what I was waiting for with the new Phase P45+. Can't wait to use it at the lighting workshop in Ft. Lauderdale...I'll at least have it by then right Lance?

robmac

Guy - much like the 120/4 macro, did the formula for this lens remain unchanged between MF, AF and AFD? I just did a search for curiosities sake and am finding MF versions for under $300 and AF (non D) versions for $1000 or so.

Since I use some MF glass via adapters, am always keeping an eye open for (primarily) Mamiya MF glass that doesn't seem to get any respect any more.

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

I think this is a completely new design all around since it is a 72mm filter size and all that. This is a brand new lens it seems coming out of the factory.

robmac

Thanks Guy - looks like they did a hell of a job (on the re-design). Sharp, great color, CA looks well controlled, etc. Keep the shots coming.

David K

Workshop Member
You guys suck! Lance keeps ordering these 150mm f/2.8 lenses and shipping them immediatly to you.

Stop buying them faster than they come in so one can sit on the shelf as a demo unit and I can test it (read: shoot some hot girls on the beach). As a plus Lance will knock a little off the price for being lightly used.

Doug

P.S. (above post is sarcastic; I'm happy for all of you receiving them and look forward patiently await a slight slowdown that will allow me some play-time)
I'm surprised you didn't snag one of these like you grabbed my leftovers from Lunch :)

Guy, I've got to say these are among the most impressive examples of what your kit can do that I've seen posted anywhere. I wonder if there's a Mamiya to Rollei adapter out there :)

Guy Mancuso

Not sure David but I am really impressed by this lens. This really maybe there best one yet. The new 80mm is no slouch either and I love the 55mm. One reason I have the Alpa is the wide aspect. No lens be it Hassy , Rollie or Mamiya is going to knock out those Schnieder and Rodenstock digitars very easily so if you need the best wides than I think they are the way to go but I am really impressed by the look of this one.

The one thing to remember though David if outdoors and want to shoot wide open the focal plane shutter is the answer here. I should also add what Jack said in private here because i am noticing it also and Kurt just getting his new Phase body said the same thing and honestly this is just what we are seeing and not scientific but the new Phase body seems to create sharper images. i asked Doug about this and most likely reason is the shutter has been dampened quite a bit on the new body. To me this makes sense but I am not even going to try and prove it but I do feel my images have improved moving to the new Phase body. Jack brought this up the other day and i trust Jacks opinion 100 percent in the technical area's.

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
I'd echo what Jack and Guy have mentioned on the new Phase body. I have noticed a difference between the Mamiya and Phase bodies. Something like extra vibration, a longer shutter lag or misalignment with the Mamiya AFD body I was using was giving me fits. The new body is not D3 silky smooth and fast, but I don't need it to be. The new body is very easy to work with, substantial in build quality and very pleasant to use. I'm feeling very good about my decision to go with Phase ... especially when I see what the 80D and 150D are capable of producing.

woodyspedden

I think this is a valid conclusion.

My Hassy H3DII-39 has the mirror delay function whereby the shutter is delayed from 50-200 MS to allow the mirror vibrations to dampen before firing. I have found positive results from this feature.

I continue to hope that Hassy comes out with a focal plane version of the H3 system but I doubt it will happen. It would be great because, as Peter A says in another thread on the forum, it makes little sense for me to have to go with a Phase body and back, new lenses, different software etc just to have the focal plane shutter! So I will continue to hope and use my old 203FE whenever I need the advantages of the focal plane shutter.

Woody