The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Is the IQ180 a good small sensor camera?

tashley

Subscriber Member
Ok, I'm just being provocative to get people interested! BUT...

I've been doing a lot of small sensor stuff recently with P&S cameras, even iPhone shots in stitched series for fairly large prints up to 20" wide, with results that I like. Naturally that isn't the point of the world's best back but, given that I may be getting mine as early as tomorrow or wednesday (touch wood) I am all excited imagining the possibilities and it struck me that using it in normal mode (i.e. NOT in sensor plus) but high ISO - 800 - and then printed really large, I might get something a bit like a really scaled up small sensor style image.

So does anyone have any examples of ISO 800 files, just a segment at 100% crop, so I can see how the noise and DR behave, maybe even print a section?

Thanks!

Tim

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Hi Tim -- is pretty prevalent. I do not have an exact image handy right now to post for you, but if you go to post 86 in this thread you can see an example of 3200 S+ which is comparable to 800 non-plus. In post 115, I verbally explain what I see in prints, but again in S+ mode. Sorry, but that's all I can offer at this time...

Shashin

I think you be pleased. While I do not have an IQ180, I have been shooting my Pentax 645D at 1600 ISO. It is a really nice P&S camera. The noise is more of a grain texture and I really getting more information than my small sensor cameras. While there is a loss of DR, I have not found it to be a problem in shooting--I usually vary my ISO in different lighting conditions and when the ISO goes up is when scene contrast goes down, although streets at night can be really high contrast.

The problem with viewing these files at 100%, you really are not viewing at a scale that a print would be viewed at. The noise in the Pentax is about the same as any digital camera, but the fact it is distributed over 40MP makes a big difference.

tashley

Subscriber Member
Hi Tim -- is pretty prevalent. I do not have an exact image handy right now to post for you, but if you go to post 86 in this thread you can see an example of 3200 S+ which is comparable to 800 non-plus. In post 115, I verbally explain what I see in prints, but again in S+ mode. Sorry, but that's all I can offer at this time...
Thanks Jack. Interestingly I think I see a little banding in the shot of the guy in spectacles (on the left, just above his spec frames towards the edge of the frame) which looks quite reminiscent of a 5dII in low artificial light. But I think I could make that grungy look work for me with a bit of silver effex :)

Much appreciated!
Tim

tashley

Subscriber Member
@ Shashin,
Thanks for the input - I do think that individual sensors have different characteristics in this respect though: I have a p65+ at the moment, which is also a Dalsa sensor, but am really keen to see how the new smaller pixel sizes of the 180 look at higher ISO...

kdphotography

Hi Tim,

The IQ180 with Phase 645DF at higher ISOs makes for a great P&S camera, albeit *ahem* a bit large...

I just got back from visiting Monument Valley, Hunts Mesa, Slot Canyons at Page with Don Libby, and a whirlwind drive-by at the Grand Canyon with my son Nicholas. Beat tired---but will try to post some experiences when I recover! Don used his M9 as his P&S alongside his Cambo RS with P65+; I used a Phase 645DF with IQ180 and a IR converted GF1, which was just perfect for the absolutely sh*tty clear blue skies... :)

Attached is an ISO 800 image with the IQ180. f/2.8 at 1/60th of a second. 55mm Schneider. Handheld inside the tower at Desert View, Grand Canyon. Image is pretty much "as-is"--C1Pro, bump exposure .10 and out she goes for the web... Not bad, but I'd much prefer a smaller P&S!

Last edited:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Jack. Interestingly I think I see a little banding in the shot of the guy in spectacles (on the left, just above his spec frames towards the edge of the frame) which looks quite reminiscent of a 5dII in low artificial light. But I think I could make that grungy look work for me with a bit of silver effex :)

Much appreciated!
Tim
You do, but that's with no NR, and a crop to boot. If you read post 115, you'll find my impressions of that same crop printed with proper processing -- basically as good as ISO 400 35mm print film at that magnification. Pretty darn good :)