The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

CaptureShop settings

evgeny

Hi,

a couple of questions for CaptureShop and Contax 645 gurus. My back is Sinarback 54M.

---
CAPTURE
---
1. How do you make Live Image possible in Contax 645? Tape mirror up, is it safe?

2. I don't see a difference on the image between Flash None and Flash Early. Please clarify?

3. Is the Flash setting for shoe flash or external studio strobe attached via small connector located on the left side of Contax 645?

4. Do you ever change anything in the Black Reference Control setting?

5. There is only one Standard 54M Flash profile. Are other profiles exist for 54M, how to install them?

---
PROCESS
---
1. Do you convert Adobe RGB working space to sRGB when editing images (for example, I export to TIF, then open in GIMP).

2. How CaptureShop Exposure Compensation setting affects Contax 645 Exposure Compensation?

3. What is Color Alchemist? When to change default settings?

4. Do you ever use Anti Moire and Noise Reduction settings?

---
EXPORT
---
1. Do you use Apply Unsharp Mask Settings From File when exporting files?

Last edited:
T

thsinar

hi Evgeny,

please read my answers to your questions (to those I can answer), in CAPITAL and under.

As a general remark: most/many of the answers to your questions can be found in the "HELP" files which are part and integrated in Captureshop. I would suggest you to have a look on it: one can learn a lot from it.

Best regards,
Thierry

---
CAPTURE
---
1. How do you make Live Image possible in Contax 645? Tape mirror up, is it safe?
WHY WOULD YOU WANT TO TAPE IT?

2. I don't see a difference on the image between Flash None and Flash Early. Please clarify?
THERE IS "EARLY" AND "LATE" FLASH: FOE "EARLY", THE FLASH STARTS AT THE BEGINNING OF THE EXPOSURE, FOR "LATE" IT FLASHES AT THE END OF THE EXPOSURE TIME.
"NONE" MEANS NO FLASH IS USED.

3. Is the Flash setting for shoe flash or external studio strobe attached via small connector located on the left side of Contax 645?

WHAT WOULD YOU WANT TO CHANGE? WHAT DO YOU MEAN WITH "CONTROL"? WHAT CS VERSION ARE YOU USING? THE BLACK REFERENCE IS TAKEN AUTOMATICALLY WHEN CS IS STARTED AND A BACK IS CONNECTED. DEPENDING WHICH CS VERSION YOU ARE USING, THERE IS THE POSSIBILITY TO PERFORM A BR MANUALLY, WENN E.G. CHANGING THE EXPOSURE TIME, OR AFTER USE OF THE LIVE VIDEO, ETC ...

5. There is only one Standard 54M Flash profile. Are other profiles exist for 54M, how to install them?
CAPTURESHOP ALLOWS TO CREATE YOUR OWN ICC PROFILES, WITH A PROFILE MAKING SOFTWARE (E.G. GRETAG MACBETH PROFILE MAKER): CONSULT FOR THIS OUR "HELP" FILES INTEGRATED IN CAPTURESHOP (MENU "HELP". THE "54M FLASH PROFILE" IS A "DEFAULT" PROFILE MADE BY SINAR: IT WORKS PERFECTLY FOR 99.99% OF FLASH LIGHT SITUATIONS.

---
PROCESS
---
1. Do you convert Adobe RGB working space to sRGB when editing images (for example, I export to TIF, then open in GIMP).
I WILL LET OTHERS ANSWER.

2. How CaptureShop Exposure Compensation setting affects Contax 645 Exposure Compensation?
"EXPOSURE COMPENSATION" DOES AFFECT THE TAKEN IMAGE ONLY: IT WILL MOVE YOUR HISTOGRAM TO THE LEFT OR THE RIGHT. IT DOES IN NOTHING AFFECT YOUR SETTINGS ON THE CAMERA.

3. What is Color Alchemist? When to change default settings?
THIS FEATURE WAS ESPECIALLY DEVELOPED FOR THE 22 MPX DALSA SENSOR, WHICH IS KNOWN FOR NOT BEING VERY UNIFORM IN ITS RESPONSE. THE FEATURE HELPS TO RENDER NEUTRAL ZONES (E.G. A GREY BACKGROUND, A WHITE DRESS, ETC ...) IN THE IMAGE REALLY NEUTRAL AND TO ELIMINATE UNWANTED COLOUR GRADIENTS.

4. Do you ever use Anti Moire and Noise Reduction settings?
I WILL LET OTHERS ANSWER THIS, BUT: "ANTI MOIRÉ" CAN BE USEFUL TO USE, THOUGH BE CAREFUL NOT TO GO TO MAXIMUM WITH THE SLIDER: AN UNWANTED DESATURATION CAN TAKE PLACE.
"NOISE REDUCTION" IS ALSO A VERY USEFUL TOOL AND FILTER WHICH YOU MIGHT WANT TO USE BY DOING SOME TESTS: THERE ARE A LOT OF POSSIBILITIES WITH THIS TOOL, BOTH FOR THE "LUMINANCE" AND THE "CHROMINANCE" NOISE.

---
EXPORT
---
I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND TO SHARPEN AN IMAGE WHEN IT IS NOT FINISHED, UNDERSTAND "SCALED" AND READY FOR PRINT. THE AMOUNT AND TYPE OF SHARPENING MAINLY DEPENDS ON THE OUTPUT SIZE, AMONG OTHERS.

Stuart Richardson

I don't know about GIMP, but do not convert to sRGB if you are going to edit in photoshop. sRGB is a much smaller color space than Adobe RGB, and much smaller than most printing papers. Only convert to sRGB before making jpegs for the web. If you are going to be editing in a color managed program like photoshop (and probably GIMP, I am not sure...), then you want to stick with a larger color space like Adobe RGB or ProPhoto RGB (which is even larger than Adobe RGB, but also contains colors not visible to human eyes, and therefore can create problems if you are not careful).

evgeny

Thierry, thank for the answers.
However there are some questions left.

---
CAPTURE
---
WHY WOULD YOU WANT TO TAPE IT?
Should I use the Bulb mode?
How to set exposure time in CaptureShop, suppose, 1/125th of second?
I don't exactly understand the technique how to use Live Image with the Contax 645.

THERE IS "EARLY" AND "LATE" FLASH: FOE "EARLY", THE FLASH STARTS AT THE BEGINNING OF THE EXPOSURE, FOR "LATE" IT FLASHES AT THE END OF THE EXPOSURE TIME.
"NONE" MEANS NO FLASH IS USED.
I understand difference between the Early and Late, but don't see the difference between the None and Early. I mean when I set the None and still fire the studio flash and I don't see the difference with Early. Can you clarify?

WHAT WOULD YOU WANT TO CHANGE? WHAT DO YOU MEAN WITH "CONTROL"? WHAT CS VERSION ARE YOU USING? THE BLACK REFERENCE IS TAKEN AUTOMATICALLY WHEN CS IS STARTED AND A BACK IS CONNECTED. DEPENDING WHICH CS VERSION YOU ARE USING, THERE IS THE POSSIBILITY TO PERFORM A BR MANUALLY, WENN E.G. CHANGING THE EXPOSURE TIME, OR AFTER USE OF THE LIVE VIDEO, ETC ...
I don't see the option to set exposure time in CaptureShop. I use latest version. Where is the option or is it made available only in the Live Mode?

---
PROCESS
---
"EXPOSURE COMPENSATION" DOES AFFECT THE TAKEN IMAGE ONLY: IT WILL MOVE YOUR HISTOGRAM TO THE LEFT OR THE RIGHT. IT DOES IN NOTHING AFFECT YOUR SETTINGS ON THE CAMERA.
Ok, suppose I set Exposure Compensation to the + side. Will this add + compensation to the camera shutter speed? Otherwise how the compensation setting in CaptureShop can affect the resulting image if shutter in camera will open without compensation factor?

---
EXPORT
---
I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND TO SHARPEN AN IMAGE WHEN IT IS NOT FINISHED, UNDERSTAND "SCALED" AND READY FOR PRINT. THE AMOUNT AND TYPE OF SHARPENING MAINLY DEPENDS ON THE OUTPUT SIZE, AMONG OTHERS.
Do you recommend to disable this parameter, which is enabled by default, when exporting files?

Thank a lot :)

T

thsinar

Should I use the Bulb mode?
How to set exposure time in CaptureShop, suppose, 1/125th of second?
I don't exactly understand the technique how to use Live Image with the Contax 645.
First of all I would use eXposure rather than Captureshop. Go to Menu in eXposure and then to "Preferences". There set the "Contax 645" in the ""Hardware Settings" tab.
The eXposure time set in CS/eXposure must always be EQUAL or LONGER than the exposure time you set on the camera. This to make sure that the CCD sensor is activated long enough to capture all the information.
To use live image you have nothing else to do but to lock the mirror up by setting the exposure time to B/T and click the live image mode button in CS/eXposure: this will activate the sensor automatically and no special time has to be set in eXposure/CS.

Anyway, and again: you will find all this information in the "HELP" files of either CS or eXposure

I understand difference between the Early and Late, but don't see the difference between the None and Early. I mean when I set the None and still fire the studio flash and I don't see the difference with Early. Can you clarify?
When you are not using flash light the setting should be "None". When using flash you can either choose "Early" or "Late".

I don't see the option to set exposure time in CaptureShop. I use latest version. Where is the option or is it made available only in the Live Mode?
May be this plugin is not "de-activated": go to the "Capture" control and click with the mouse ON this tab with "ctrl" + "Click": a list of plugins appears, with those activated being checked with a mark. Check if the "exposure time" plugin is activated, if not click on it to mark/activate it.

Ok, suppose I set Exposure Compensation to the + side. Will this add + compensation to the camera shutter speed? Otherwise how the compensation setting in CaptureShop can affect the resulting image if shutter in camera will open without compensation factor?
I don't really understand your problem/question.
The "Exposure Compensation" DOES NOT affect anything on the camera settings, as explained previously. It only affects the taken image(s). If you slide the exposure compensation in CS/eXposure to "+" then it will brighten your image(s), but not changing anything on your camera settings.

Do you recommend to disable this parameter, which is enabled by default, when exporting files?

Thank a lot :)
Yes, I do recommend to disable it. It SHOULD actually be disabled by default, when installing CS.

Best regards,
Thierry

evgeny

Thierry, thank.

here are my quick comments.

I understand that Exposure Compensation changes ISO on the back to make the image brighter, right?

Yes, I meant the "None" produce the same image as "Early" Flash when actually firing studio flash in the "None" mode. Looks like the "None" is for convenience.

I clicked the mouse with "ctrl" and enabled some options, however there is no "exposure time". May be this option is not available for the 54M back. I will check again, but not likely I will find this option. :D

Do you know when eXposure for 54M will be announced?

Thank.

Thierry, thank.

here are my quick comments.

I understand that Exposure Compensation changes ISO on the back to make the image brighter, right?

Yes, I meant the "None" produce the same image as "Early" Flash when actually firing studio flash in the "None" mode. Looks like the "None" is for convenience.

Thank.
Hi,
You can fire your flash on your camera when the camera allow it and the flash unit is properly connected. The camera then fire the flash, not the Software.
Do not confuse two modes: you are in the "slave" mode when you use your software to activate the shutter and all other functions of your camera. You don't touch the camera and click on "CAPTURE IMAGE" on the top of your screen. The software runs the camera.
You are in the "Master" mode when you set the capture parameters on your Contax and manually press the shutter.
The MODEs can be found in HARDWARE SETTINGS in CaptureShop (where you will be choosing your camera and your back from the lists).
See the Help file!
QUOTE:
· In slave mode, Sinar CaptureShop™ controls the capture process as far as possible. The back controls exposure time. In slave mode, you must allow for a slightly longer response time.
· With some configuration, the operation mode is detected and set automatically by Sinar CaptureShop™ (auto mode).
· In master mode, the camera controls the capture process via the camera's flash sync contact (x-contact). It enables you to take a shot at any time by using the camera release button.
--
I don't shoot Contax anymore but assume your camera overrules your software settings and you shall not care with the software to set "exposure time". It should be set "long enough". You set everything on the controls of your camera (exposure, aperture) and shoot!.
The slave mode is needed when you shoot from the stand, the camera and your lens is fixed and do not want any vibrations.... You will need it if you decide to shoot paintings.:rolleyes:
Yevgeny
P.S. Try to read and understand the CS help file.:)

evgeny

Yevgeny, thank!

The Auto mode is automatically selected by CaptureShop when the 54M/Contax 645 are detected. The Master and Slave modes are disabled.

I cannot release shutter in Contax 645 with the CaptureShop's Capture Image button when Live Image is disabled.

I tried Live Image in Contax 645 "B" mode. The quality of live image is acceptable to frame the subject, but awful ever as a preview.

Also there is no Exposure Time option when using 54M/Contax 645.

I believe the CaptureShop doesn't support all these function when used with the 54M/Contax 645.

Last edited:
Thierry, thank.

Thank.
I still do not understand...

Why don't you just set ISO in the CS? It is the way to do with the backs that do not have controls of parameters on its body, like I do with my SB 54H?
I would prefer to use exposure compensation on the images already shot.

I am trying to help so you may wish to PM me in Russian and we can try to set your workflow out of the view of the public forum.

Thanks,
Yevgeny,
Moscow

evgeny

Hi Yevgeny,

since Exposure Compensation in CS doesn't affect shutter speed in Contax 645, it must increase OR reduce ISO on the 54M back to actually compensate the exposure. That's my understanding how it is implemented in the real life :)

I will also send you a private message tomorrow morning to discuss more (It's deep night here in Israel and I just finished to scan my 120 Slides and going to sleeppppp). :)

T

thsinar

Dear Evegeny,

please allow me some time to answer your questions: I need to check some points.

Best regards,
Thierry

Hi Yevgeny,

since Exposure Compensation in CS doesn't affect shutter speed in Contax 645, it must increase OR reduce ISO on the 54M back to actually compensate the exposure. That's my understanding how it is implemented in the real life :)

I will also send you a private message tomorrow morning to discuss more (It's deep night here in Israel and I just finished to scan my 120 Slides and going to sleeppppp). :)

evgeny

Thierry thank!

I will be glad for any addition information relative to my questions.
Please also check with Sinar tech why I cannot see the Exposure Time option.
I'm waiting for your reply.

I also had a very good talk with Yevgeny and some points made clearer!

Thank a lot! :)

T

thsinar

Alright, here I am back with the answers:

First: The Captureshop with the Contax 645 and SB 54M does NOT have/show the "Exposure Time" plugin: this is normal.
The camera is functioning in an "Automatic Mode" allowing both "Master" (shooting from the camera) or "Slave" (shooting from Captureshop) modes
When needing to use the slave mode, an additional cable from the 54M back to the Contax is necessary: this cable is part of the Contax/SB 54M adapter kit
Captureshop knows the exposure time set at the camera body ONLY after the release/shoot, after having measured it (both in Master and in Slave modes).

The exposure time is therefore set exclusively on the Contax body, with the mechanical wheel/button, and cannot be set in CS: therefore there is no "exposure time" plugin.

I hope this answers fully.

Best regards,
Thierry

Thierry thank!

I will be glad for any addition information relative to my questions.
Please also check with Sinar tech why I cannot see the Exposure Time option.
I'm waiting for your reply.

I also had a very good talk with Yevgeny and some points made clearer!

Thank a lot! :)

evgeny

Hi Thierry,

what is that additional cable from the 54M back to the Contax, and especially where to plug it in to the Contax 645 camera and 54M back?

I understand that with the cable the CS will allow to release shutter on Contax, but Exposure must be set on the camera.

T

thsinar

Dear Evgeny,

as said, this cable is included in the adapter kit of the SB 54M for Contax.

It is plugged in the adapter plate (not in the 54M back) and on the Contax: there is a little socket below the grip, with a plastic protection.

Yes, this cable allows "Slave" mode (release of the Contax from CS).

best regards,
Thierry

Hi Thierry,

what is that additional cable from the 54M back to the Contax, and especially where to plug it in to the Contax 645 camera and 54M back?

I understand that with the cable the CS will allow to release shutter on Contax, but Exposure must be set on the camera.

T

thsinar

Evgeny,

it is a small, about 15cm long cable: it is part of any SB 54M adapter kit for Contax 645.
If you did not get it with your second-hand back/adapter, the seller might still have it. Otherwise you can order it from Sinar.

Best regards,
Thierry

Therry, thanks.
I don't have that cable. However I will try to figure out what it looks like.
Thank

evgeny

Thierry, thanks.

I already use a radio trigger for Contax 645 plugged to that little socket below the grip with a plastic protection.

Such I can active Live Video in CS, frame the image, disable Live Video and trigger the shutter via radio instead of CS. Should work fine for me.:D