The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Back for the Future? IQ180 arrives...

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
New back arrived. Whatever is causing the magenta to green shift seems to be consistent .. new back performs nearly identically. Heres an LCC from the Schneider 55 on my DF. Shows the same magenta to green transition as the last back. I can white balance the bottom, leaving a greater magenta shift, or white balance the top leaving the bottom more green, or hit the middle.

The small stripe in the middle is where I copied a small section and flipped it 180 degrees to better illustrate the color shift from top to bottom.

Even shooting the 105-210 zoom shows some color difference from top to bottom, not much from side to side.

Anyone else up for testing this? Just curious if this is just how it is since most images won't show any real problems, or if I'm just unlucky. I do know my 35xl on my alpa probably isn't usable ... that's just too much data modification to trust to an LCC, rather just shoot things on my DF with 28mm and crop the mush corners off.

Last edited:

Christopher

I really don't know. I don't have the answeres I would like but I can say the following. My second Iq180 is a LOT better than my first, however, it is still far behind my P65 when it comes to LCC on the DF camera. The P65 was clean, I mean CLEAN no color change whatsoever. My IQ180 isn't. It's certainly nor a problem for me, as it can't really be seen in normal images.

I just would like to know WHY ? Especially as some claim they do not have this problem ???

As I said before I am quite happy at the moment, but can't explain everything. I am also waiting for dougs explanation for the "color/WB shift with the LCC" When I asked Phase about it, they had no clue....

vjbelle

Wayne,

Here is an LCC shot with my 60XL. Camera was not moved from original image position..... shutter speed opened 4 stops. I did not correct for any vignetting.

Victor

Last edited:

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
Wayne,

Here is an LCC shot with my 60XL. Camera was not moved from original image position..... shutter speed opened 4 stops. I did not correct for any vignetting.

Victor
Certainly better than mine. Some slight density shifts throughout, but top and bottom densities and colors almost exactly the same ... what I would expect.

How long have you had your back?

vjbelle

Certainly better than mine. Some slight density shifts throughout, but top and bottom densities and colors almost exactly the same ... what I would expect.

How long have you had your back?
I've had my back for about 10 days. Actually its my second back..... a fluke of circumstances. I do hope you get this resolved. I just shot a non-shifted 35XL image and got a really/relatively clean LCC (I don't expect perfection with this lens). I have always shot my LCC files by aiming the camera AT the light source. I see that many, now, are not using that technique but instead keeping the camera in the same position as the shot image. I don't know if this has any effect on the LCC and final outcome..... I haven't run those tests. My latest tests have kept the camera in the same position as the shot image.

Also, fwiw, if I were having this issue after two backs I would surely toss the software and start again from scratch..... just to eliminate that variable.

What a hassle.....:(

Victor

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
I just shot a non-shifted 35XL image and got a really/relatively clean LCC (I don't expect perfection with this lens). I have always shot my LCC files by aiming the camera AT the light source.
Victor
How about posting a non-corrected version of that? I assume you think it was better than the one I posted?

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
Also, fwiw, if I were having this issue after two backs I would surely toss the software and start again from scratch..... just to eliminate that variable.

Victor
I'm going back and forth between two different computers, and the LCC's are identical. Also viewing them on 3 different monitors with no real difference.

Your 35xl is definitely better than mine and yes I would feel that's a decent LCC for the lens. The magenta bottom green top is similar, but I don't see the big color cast issue in the middle of the image that I see with my 35xl. Did you happen to try an LCC with a longer retro-focus lens to see if you get the green to magenta shift from top to bottom?

vjbelle

I'm going back and forth between two different computers, and the LCC's are identical. Also viewing them on 3 different monitors with no real difference.

Your 35xl is definitely better than mine and yes I would feel that's a decent LCC for the lens. The magenta bottom green top is similar, but I don't see the big color cast issue in the middle of the image that I see with my 35xl. Did you happen to try an LCC with a longer retro-focus lens to see if you get the green to magenta shift from top to bottom?
My lens arsenal goes from 35XL to 60XL. Is the 60 a retro? I sure hope you get this resolved.......

Victor

Graham Mitchell

I don't know if this is related, but I am testing my new Aptus II 12, which has same sensor, and I noticed a strong colour cast when changing to ISO 800. Here is same shot, only difference being ISO setting and shutter speed. Lens is Rollei 80mm: