The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Alpa/P45+ Images

rga

First field trip with a new Alpa STC and 35 and 80mm lenses. Up at 10,000' + in the eastern Sierra's for 7 days.

Both Alpa and back were flawless (more than I can say for myself). Conditions were tough; bright light (nary a cloud) and shooting between 11am and 3pm as we hiked each day about 3mi each way. Trails were blocked with snow and the altitude was wearing.

Images here:
www.rgaphoto.com/GT

Great combination; great performers. Wonderful kit for backpacking.
Best,
Bob

cs750

Bob, I enjoyed your images and liked the two of the swollen creek next to Golden Trout Camp. Charles

N

nightfire

I like #3 in particular!

How many P45+ batteries did you take with you for the week?

rga

Thanks all for the kind comments.
I took 3 batteries with me, but at most went through about 85% of one of the batteries in a day.
Again, thanks,
Bob

I like #3 in particular!

How many P45+ batteries did you take with you for the week?

Thierry

There are some very nice images, Robert, congratulations.
Could you tell us a bit more about the technical side for the some images (lenses used, f-stops, possibly tilt for DoF, problems to solveetc ...).

Best regards,
Thierry

Shashin

Ah yes, the "Marsh Shooter" tends to flock in groups. A rare bird indeed.

Beautiful images.

Vincent Goetz

Subscriber Member
Great images. Like the creek by the camp best, and oh, the look down into the valley. I am not sure my knees and lungs are up to that anymore....

rga

There are some very nice images, Robert, congratulations.
Could you tell us a bit more about the technical side for the some images (lenses used, f-stops, possibly tilt for DoF, problems to solveetc ...).

Best regards,
Thierry
Hi Thierry.

Firstly I'm just delighted that Alpa is participating, via you, on this forum. Thanks for diving in!

On to your question.. Well, I didn't take notes but I can tell you what I remember.

All images except 3,4 and 9 were taken with the 80mm APO Digitar. Images 3, 4 and 9 were taken with the 35mm APO Digitar with center filter. All images, except the flower by the river, were taken with full L/R shift and then stitched and cropped as needed. The Alpa made that really easy with it's zero detent. Then I just shifted all the way over to the left and right. Usually the sensor was placed in portrait orientation.

The camera body was the Alpa STC with the T/S adapter for the 80mm. I could not afford the Alpa ground glass kit with mask, so I use the ground glass attachment from my Hassy Flexbody with the Rmfx finder. This works well on the 80mm, but doesn't on the 35mm. The fresnel lens darkens very quickly from the center. I finally tried my Hoodman on the Flexbody ground glass and found I could move it around (with my hat covering the top to stop light leakage) and see the entire image to compose and frame. Seems to have worked OK, though not as elegant as the Alpa solution. Also, I have no mask for my back, so guestimating where the image would end was difficult. Perhaps I can get a mask for the P45+ that will fit on the Flexbody ground glass??

Basically before I left for the trip I did a lot of testing regarding the best fstop to use and what my hyperfocal distances were. Essentially f11.3 provides the best hyperfocal range for both lenses. Placing infinity at just inside f8 with the 35mm gives me an in-focus range of 8 feet to infinity. With the 80mm T/S it's a different story, but I do always shoot at f11.3 if I want maximum DOF.

The primary difficulty I encountered was when I wanted to use rise/fall rather than L/R shift. When you use rise/fall, the leveling bubbles no longer work for leveling the horizon. There is a leveling bubble for the horizon on the lens (stationary) side of the camera, but you have to walk around to the front to see it. Taking an image on the side of a river or cliff makes this impossible. And you can't turn the body around as that places the lens on the side that is rising and falling which moves the lens not the back. So an additional leveling bubble for this purpose on the moving side would really be helpful.

I did not use any focus layering. I guess I could have with the 35 (as my closest distance was about 9 feet), but I didn't as I'm not too familiar with it. I'll practice.

Finally, non-Alpa related, I found the P45+ to have an amazing (to me) dynamic range. Usually I carry a bunch of ND filters, graduated and hard, of various densities. I have found this essential landscape photography. I took none of these with me and truly did not find a scene where I felt the P45+ could not handle the DR to my satisfaction. Simply amazing after shooting chrome for all these years.

Pretty long winded :)sleep006:), but that's about how it happened. Both camera and back were a joy to use. The kit was exceptionally light compared to my Hassy or 4x5 with the same focal lengths. Most photographers at the outing were very impressed with the kit's light weight. All and all it's an exceptional system for this type of photography.

Thanks for asking and I hope this is what you were looking for.
Best,
Bob

sirimiri

Thank you for posting, and sharing. I'm not in any position to own P45+, but it's always great when people share, and I'm very appreciative of that.

rga

Thank you for posting, and sharing. I'm not in any position to own P45+, but it's always great when people share, and I'm very appreciative of that.
My pleasure. I feel very fortunate (and debt laden) to be able to use this system...
Best,
Bob

ChrisN

Lovely images! I suspect the descriptions of the HDR and non-HDR versions of the swollen creek image might be swapped.

Stefan Steib

Bob

Thank you for posting this. I made your image nr. 6 my desktop image immediately, this sight makes everydays work calmer and more pleasant.
This also makes me wish I had more time to go out and shoot my P45+ on landscape again. (I think I should try this weekend)

regards and greetings from Munich

Stefan

darr

Beautiful images Bob!

I was thinking of swapping my Max for the STC eventually, but since you described the bubble level need, I think I may re-evaluate. I appreciate your detailed shooting notes and the IMAGES!!

Darr

Thierry

Bob,

Got it, although an additional bubble built in the camera is not on the list. Another solution would be to use one's own spirit level as described in the below pics.

Best
Thierry

There is a leveling bubble for the horizon on the lens (stationary) side of the camera, but you have to walk around to the front to see it. Taking an image on the side of a river or cliff makes this impossible. So an additional leveling bubble for this purpose on the moving side would really be helpful.
Bob

Last edited: