The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad has been sold

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Ventizz Capital Fund IV L.P. acquires Swedish high-end camera manufacturer Hasselblad

June 30, 2011

An iconic brand for more than 50 years, Hasselblad is the world market leader in the field of high-end medium format cameras
Strong increase in demand worldwide for Hasselblad cameras, particularly in Asia
Ventizz Capital Fund IV L.P. provides additional capital for growth strategy
Ventizz Capital Fund IV L.P. has agreed to acquire 100 percent of the shares of the Swedish camera manufacturer Hasselblad Group from Hong Kong-based Shriro Group. Shriro, a long-standing Hasselblad distributor in the Asia-Pacific region, has held ownership of the company since 2003. Shriro will retain its current Hasselblad distribution rights in the Asia-Pacific region. Vasco Fung, CEO of Shriro, will serve an additional five year term on the supervisory board of Hasselblad.

Founded in 1941 in Gothenburg, Sweden, Hasselblad has become the world market leader in the field of high-end medium format cameras. Today, its name is synonymous with the utmost in camera reliability and image quality. The company produces first class camera equipment for professional photographers, photo artists and high-end consumers. The extraordinary quality of the company’s products became famous in 1962 when Hasselblad cameras were selected for NASA space missions, which resulted only a few years later in the first world-renowned images taken on the moon.

“Hasselblad is the world’s most renowned camera brand. We are proud to have such an iconic brand in our portfolio and are convinced that with solid financial support and a suitable growth strategy, Ventizz can further strengthen Hasselblad's position as the first class producer of medium format digital camera systems. Furthermore, we plan to develop Hasselblad cameras to appeal to a wider circle of ambitious photographers“, said Dr. Helmut Vorndran, Managing Partner and CEO of Ventizz Capital Partners AG, the exclusive advisory to the Ventizz funds.

As a strong financial partner, Ventizz Capital Fund IV L.P. will support Hasselblad and its management team in entering new market segments as well as in the further technological development of existing product lines. Dr. Vorndran: “We have seen the demand for Hasselblad cameras continue to grow in Asia, as well as in Europe and North America, where there is increased interest in top-quality cameras. Our growth strategy for Hasselblad is therefore timed perfectly.”

Dr. Larry Hansen, CEO of Hasselblad, expresses his appreciation for the change in ownership and for the opportunities this will create: “We are very pleased that Ventizz, as an experienced investor in growth strategies for technology-oriented mid-sized companies, has decided to invest in Hasselblad and we look forward to many years of close cooperation.”

The parties have agreed not to disclose the purchase price.

Company profiles

About Ventizz Capital Partners

Ventizz Capital Partners was set up in 2000 and has offices in St. Gallen, Düsseldorf, Zürich and Vienna. Ventizz Capital Partners advises solely Ventizz Private Equity funds which provide equity capital for growth in high tech companies predominantly in the German-speaking region. Four partners and a team of a further 15 professionals currently advise four funds with a total capital volume of EUR 675m. The Ventizz Capital Fund IV L.P. is the largest of the four hitherto issued funds. The fund was closed at the end of 2007 after a mere six month fundraising process which raised EUR 450m, making it one of the biggest private equity funds in the area of growth capital and mid-size tech buyouts in the German-speaking region.
Ventizz funds have to date invested in 39 companies with a focus on the areas of renewable energy, medical technology, information and communication technology, and other industry sectors with high added value. In addition to many trade sales, Ventizz has brought three portfolio companies (ersol, SAR, PV Crystalox Solar) to the stock market.

About Hasselblad Group

Founded in 1941 in Gothenburg, Sweden, Hasselblad has been the leading manufacturer and partner for photographers working in the medium format environment for over half a century, consistently providing the highest level of quality and innovation.

The extraordinary quality of the company’s products became famous in 1962 when Hasselblad cameras were selected for NASA space missions, which resulted only a few years later in the first world-renowned images taken on the moon. Positive associations with Hasselblad’s past serve as the foundation for the company’s modern and energized brand. In 2002, the Hasselblad H-Camera System was introduced. With its professional lens family and unique advancements, including True Focus and instant lens correction within the Phocus software, it is the most comprehensive digital camera system of its kind available today.

Hasselblad H4D-60 camera image:
http://press.hasselblad.com/media-library/h-system/h4d-60.aspx

Christopher

Well, It could be great step forward. If the invest and have in the right way, Hassi could come a long way back and really put some pressure on Phase. I would hope they do, but I don't believe in it.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Honestly we really don't want Hassy going away for sure. Just bad for the industry and the MF OEMS have shrunk enough already. Lets hope this is good for the current Hassy folks and the end users.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Hassi could come a long way back and really put some pressure on Phase. I would hope they do, but I don't believe in it.
I feel the same way Christopher, I don't want Hassy to disappear as having two main players guarantees technical advancement for all customers. It's almost as though too much water has passed under the bridge for Hassy and they need a strong leap-frog in technology over Phase to regain market share I think. If Phase gets a new, state-of-the-art body out by Q4 2011 that eliminates the DF warts, that combined with the IQ technology leaves me not seeing how Hassy can compete in any significant manner...

gazwas

If Phase gets a new, state-of-the-art body out by Q4 2011 that eliminates the DF warts, that combined with the IQ technology leaves me not seeing how Hassy can compete in any significant manner...
Maybe Phase will hold off with the camera to give HB a chance? :p

D

Deleted member 7792

Maybe my recent switch from Hasselblad to Phase One was the straw that broke the camel's back. :ROTFL:

Maybe Phase will hold off with the camera to give HB a chance? :p
Gareth,

I love the way you always think we are in the mire and Phase is this holy grail that is only company selling anything?

Personally, for me, I think this is great. Nobody would invest in us if they didn't think they would see a return. There has already been significant investment in new staff, my own department included.

I would hope that photographers would see this as a positive change for the industry (regardless of manufacturer) and not resort to this kind of petty comment throwing.

I look forward greatly to the rest of 2011.

David

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Investors buy,
Investors sell.
For a concern that has been around awhile it may have nothing to do with the quality of the company. Often it is just a matter of the investors adjusting their portfolio or raising money for some other investment.
-bob

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Jack!

By the way the term "regain market share" is not fair, as we are market leader in many countries around the world.
I was speaking globally, not to selected markets Dave. Moreover, still being the leader in some regions does not mean you have also not lost share in those same markets... Would Shiro have sold if they had been gaining global market share? I doubt it, unless they were loosing their shirts to do it. Let's hope the new management can get things back on track for both profit and market share :)

I was speaking globally, not to selected markets Dave. Moreover, still being the leader in some regions does not mean you have also not lost share in those same markets... Would Shiro have sold if they had been gaining global market share? I doubt it, unless they were loosing their shirts to do it. Let's hope the new management can get things back on track for both profit and market share :)
Hi Jack,

There are no official figures released for MF sales so it is impossible to say clearly who is doing what.

Shriro has always been an import and distribution company. Buying Hasselblad was a different move for them, so I guess they wanted to concentrate their efforts on that. Perhaps the sale helps them fund other ventures?

I don't know, but it is not uncommon for large corporation like Shriro to change their interests.

D

R

richard.L

and from the seller:
"In announcing the divestment, Mr. Vasco Fung said “Shriro Group has a long-standing partnership with Hasselblad as one of its main distributors since the 1950’s and its sole owner since 2003. Under Shriro's ownership over the past eight years, Hasselblad has successfully achieved the transition from analogue to digital photography and reinforced its leading position in the high-end medium format photography market. Undoubtedly, this will continue under the new ownership of a strong financial partner, Ventizz Capital Partners. With the divestment, Shriro Group can now fully focus on achieving greater market penetration for Hasselblad and maintaining its leading position in the countries where we have extensive presence and experience in the distribution business. We believe this new partnership gives Hasselblad the best position to explore the huge potentials of the Hasselblad brand in the Chinese and other Asian markets”.

richard...

yaya

At this point and until the dust settles (months?) all I can say is that I hope that this is good for the employees. Often take-overs incur structure and personnel changes which is rarely a happy thing if you're on the payroll...

And if this leads to further growth and development in the photographic market then we should all applaud this move

Yair

Graham Mitchell

I wish Hasselblad and their new owners all the best! Perhaps this will help them bring out some really exciting new products - I just hope it's not a brand-leaching exercise with the release of Hasselblad point-and-shoot cameras, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.