The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Please talk me out of a Mamiya 300/4.5 APO!

hcubell

Just showing the quality of the lens. Iso though is meaningless in regards to the vibration. Has no bearing.
Sure, not directly, but low iso in low light with small apertures leads to very slow shutter speeds, which is what the 300mm lens cannot seem to handle with the Mamiya/Phase body.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Howard its a work around like anything else. Its also not very noticeable unless you are really cranking it up but yes it is there. How do you work around the 1/800 limitation when you want F4 in bright sunlight or want faster shutter speeds than 1/800. Bottom line you find ways to get things done.

kdphotography

....not very happy with the IQ of my current 150/3.5 AF, so I would likely be ogling a 150/2.8 next, if settling on a 80 + 150 + 300 setup. But there has to be an end to this! :loco:[/COLOR]
[/LIST]
Now I hope that all of this works out in practice as well :rolleyes:
Are you kidding? The Phase 150mm f/2.8 D should be a top-priority! That is a must-have lens. It's that good. (there is no end to this...) :D

hcubell

Howard its a work around like anything else. Its also not very noticeable unless you are really cranking it up but yes it is there. How do you work around the 1/800 limitation when you want F4 in bright sunlight or want faster shutter speeds than 1/800. Bottom line you find ways to get things done.
The 1/800 limit on shutter speed with the HC lenses has never been an issue for me. For the type of work I do, I always shoot at iso 50 and smallish apertures in relatively low light, and my shutter speeds often fall in the "death zone" of 1/4 to 1/30 where any system vibration is likely to show up.

vjbelle

Been tested 1/40,1/30 and 1/15 slightly. Only noticeable on the 300mm . I could not detect it on the 150 2.8
Well on the two body's that I had and my hand picked 150 I could not shoot under 1/200th without noticeable shutter blurring. I have numerous images to substantiate this...... This is the real Achilles heal for the DF and doesn't get enough press. All of this will be moot with LS versions of the longer lenses and maybe the new body will have a focal plane shutter that acts more like an S2.

Victor