The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

buying used digital backs on ebay

gebseng

Hi everyone,

While searching for a used Leaf Aptus 75 on ebay (those seem to be available from USD 6,000,- these these days, amazing!), I saw that TMRPromotions
(ebay shop: http://stores.ebay.com/TMRPromotions?_trksid=p4340.l2563) is constantly selling used leaf backs.
Does anyone have experiences with this company, can you recommend them?

Also, what about buying used digital backs online or on ebay, do you consider that a good idea?

best,

geb

kdphotography

....Also, what about buying used digital backs online or on ebay, do you consider that a good idea?

best,

geb
You can "shop online" for used/refurbished items at reputable dealers like Optechs Digital and Capture Integration. I'd steer away from ebay, unless it's a known seller. An important part of the initial acquisition is support after the sale.... Refurbs will have a short warranty that you know a reputable dealer will help you with. And even after the warranty has expired, you can count on continuing support from a good dealer. Better to give the dealer a call---they may have items from trade-ins that are not posted online.

ken

Graham Mitchell

Just something to bear in mind: even the most minor repair on a digital back seems to be $1K+. If you do buy used without warranty, keep that in mind when working out if it's a good deal.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I would just not take the chance with e-bay and digital backs. As Graham mentioned any repair and the risk involved on something over 5K on e-bay it simply is way to much of a risk. I would buy used from a friend that you know or forum member that you know well . But best bet is from a dealer at least they will stand behind the purchase even without warranty for 30,60,90 days.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Occasionally you might see a dealer or other retailer using ebay. I would make that the only exception but even then a clear communication about the terms would be necessary.
-bob

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
I take a pretty simple approach on this. Simply call the company selling the backs on eBay and tell them you've recently purchased a Leaf Digital Back from their eBay store and have some basic questions about the installation of the software and you think there may be a problem that needs to be repaired.

See what they say.

Then call us and see what we say :).

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870 *| *Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
lol, they list an Aptus 22 with a third party 1.5 meter FW cable. That's a pretty short tether line!

Also an off-brand charger and the original battery (7 year old batteries tend not to do well).

(note I'm heavily biased and self-interested in this regard)

kdphotography

lol, they list an Aptus 22 with a third party 1.5 meter FW cable. That's a pretty short tether line!

Also an off-brand charger and the original battery (7 year old batteries tend not to do well).

(note I'm heavily biased and self-interested in this regard)
But I know is sage advice from someone who has seen dozens and dozens of headaches from those trying to save a buck. :)

With the current climate of trade-ins, my guess is that there are/will be a lot of excellent offerings from reputable dealers.

ken

Terry

I agree with all being said but at the end of the day I ended up buying my original back on ebay.

It was from a reputable well known dealer, had very low actuations (less than 500), and was still under warranty. From start to finish the dealer was fantastic and also facilitated the upgrade of the AFD III body to the DF.

Guy Mancuso

I'll tag off of Bob and Terry here and in Terry's case I helped her along with her purchase but she made all the right phone calls, made exactly sure of what she was going to get and any dealer warranty attached to it. In these cases when a reputable dealer is using e-bay more to advertise than anything else than usually these are safe bets. Hell if your not sure ask the forum, many qualified answers here as well with plenty of international experience to know most of the dealers out there and there reputations.

evgeny

I sell my Leaf 65 back for Contax 645 on eBay. It's in mint condition with less than 5000 activations. The Leaf come with all original accessories and two Leaf boxes. I include some extra items. I will provide you links/details, if you are interested.
Evgeny

Dustbak

I have no good experience with TMR. Their rating is rubbish, I hate it when I have to return stuff because the seller is dishonest in rating the equipment they are selling.

reflectedlights

I have no good experience with TMR. Their rating is rubbish, I hate it when I have to return stuff because the seller is dishonest in rating the equipment they are selling.
True it is a pain. KEH seems the best ratings wise (at least I have had good experience)...though they are not ebay so I diverge from the OP.

gebseng

Wow, thanks for all the great input, this is much more than I hoped for!

I agree that, if you buy a used DB that is relatively recent and expensive, a proper dealer and a 1yr warranty is the way to go.

But, in case of an Aptus 75, I see them on ebay for around USD 6.000,- with a 14 day return policy, while from dealers they are USD 10.000,- minimum,or even the equivalent of USD 14.000,- here in Europe. For that price difference, I could get an additional used Aptus 22, just for backup...

geb

Analog6

I did buy some a non digital Hassie system from them - the service was good but as previously said, their rating system is not very accurate. The gear had more wear and tear than I expected from the images and description. That said, it all worked just fine.

Guy Mancuso

Leaf Aptus 75, H mount $21,990 $9,990

Everything is negotiable especially used. And guess what you will pay for that dealer support. So do you want to guarantee your 6k or receive a brick instead. Sorry to be so blunt but this **** happens.

gebseng

Hi folks,

Just to keep you updated: I bought a used Leaf 75S back in H mount plus cable, charger and batteries for € 4.500,- (with shipping) from a London based photographer. I had it checked by my local Leaf dealer (I am based in Vienna, Austria). The back is like new and after working with it for 3 months I couldn't be happier.

best,

geb

tnabbott

Hi everyone,
I saw that TMRPromotions
(ebay shop: http://stores.ebay.com/TMRPromotions?_trksid=p4340.l2563) is constantly selling used leaf backs.
Does anyone have experiences with this company, can you recommend them?

Also, what about buying used digital backs online or on ebay, do you consider that a good idea?
I have experience with them. Basically, they are the opposite of KEH. They overrate the condition by about 2 levels (where, KEH seems to underrate their stuff). I would stay away from TMR for this reason, particularly because their prices are only marginally fair for the condition that they advertised. Invariably, you end up paying more than you should because the item is not in as good condition as advertised.

- Tom

bpepz

Leaf Aptus 75, H mount $21,990 $9,990

Everything is negotiable especially used. And guess what you will pay for that dealer support. So do you want to guarantee your 6k or receive a brick instead. Sorry to be so blunt but this **** happens.
I've had pretty good luck buying used digital backs on ebay. If the back is in terrible condition or broken its nearly impossible not to get your money back. Ebay and paypal are extremely biased against sellers and the money you send the seller is essentially held in escrow for 30 days or until you give positive feedback, basically no matter what even if the seller does not cooperate, paypal can handle the dispute for you and you will get your money back. Even still, I've probably bought 18k worth of gear on ebay and never had a problem, I might be luckly but like I said, everything is EXTREMELY biased in the buyers favor, so much so that sellers do not want to use ebay anymore.