The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Non-Araca plates on Arca heads

GMB

I am about to purchase the Arca d4m. It comes with a Flipplock or a classic lock (i.e., a screw). In principle, I would prefer the Flipplock (which I understand is the same as the one for the Cube).

The Arca sales person said that with the Flipplock one should only use Arca plates, and not Arca compatible plates (as for example the RRS L plate for the S2, which I have on order, or the Arca style plate from Camdapter that works with their handgip). He suggested that if I want to use other plates I should go with the classic lock for the d4m.

Any thoughts by those who use the Cube or an Arca ball head with the Arca Flipplock?

Georg

vjbelle

Georg,

I have the Arca Fliplock and would like to point out that it is adjustable. It can be used with any plate. That said, I don't use it at all. I found the opening process to be clumsy and much prefer the classic lock (screw) which is what I use.

Victor

cunim

Georg, the flip lock does not accept some other plates. For example, the Camadaptor plates can only be held with the lock adjusted dangerously far out. Two problems. There is very little thread holding the thing together and your camera could fall if it lets loose, and you have readjust the lock every time you change to a different kind of plate. The official Arca plates, for example, will be far too loose if the Camadaptor fits.

I have ground down a Camadaptor plate to fit, sort of. PIA to do and looks awful but at least it works. I prefer the screw clamp to avoid all of this hassle.

Georg, the flip lock does not accept some other plates. For example, the Camadaptor plates can only be held with the lock adjusted dangerously far out. Two problems. There is very little thread holding the thing together and your camera could fall if it lets loose, and you have readjust the lock every time you change to a different kind of plate. The official Arca plates, for example, will be far too loose if the Camadaptor fits.
I wonder if it's practical to remove the Arca flip lock from the top of the Cube and replace it with an RRS flip lock. As you say, the thread on the Arca could certainly use some more length, and removing the camera from the Cube is indeed a royal PITA. :rolleyes:

archivue

I wonder if it's practical to remove the Arca flip lock from the top of the Cube and replace it with an RRS flip lock. As you say, the thread on the Arca could certainly use some more length, and removing the camera from the Cube is indeed a royal PITA. :rolleyes:
i'm using arca monorail, so for me the RRS isn't an option, because with the new style "classic screw" from arca, you can fix the rail directly !

otherwise, it seems possible to adapt the RRS stuff...

like this... !

http://diglloyd.com/diglloyd/blog-images/2009/02/05/ArcaSwissCube.html

GMB

Thanks to all for the advice. Went for the Arca classic lock. Should arrive soon.

ccroft

I took delivery of D4 with classic clamp a month ago. I was a bit concerned about going to screw clamp after 3 years of RRS lever clamp use, but it's really a non-issue. It takes me maybe 2 or 3 seconds longer to mount the camera now.

I'm using RRS L bracket and can't see any real advantage in switching out the Arca clamp, except perhaps for a very slightly lower profile.

I'm sure you're going to be very happy with your new D4m and classic clamp!

Dan Ortego

Hi Dave,
Dang! This is exactly the photo I've been looking for as I've been planning to do the same config. Specifically, I've been looking to see the stand-off and overhang between the head and the tripod apex.

Though this thread is a bit dated I still need to know which specific RRS model clamp you ordered. I already have the TVC-23 and the C-1 is on the way. I have a couple other additives in mind but I'll save those for when I post my own pic.

Last edited: