The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Some H3DII-39 Landscapes

woodyspedden

Finally after a month or more of trying to learn the system I am getting a few keepers. My consistency is also getting better so there is hope.

comments and criticisms always welcomed.

woody

etrigan63

I don't think these tiny samples do the images any real justice, Woody. Do you have links to the full sized images? I am digging the composition of the second one very much - B&W is a perfect choice for that shot!

woodyspedden

I will get the link for you quickly Carlos. And you are so right.........I printed both of these images at 22x30 and if I do say so myself the black and white is pretty spectacular. There is great tonality ( I processed the image in Silver Efex which I am beginning to love) and it seems to me to tell a story. As i see this it is a school bus with many stories to tell and the length of the life of the bus, and its stories, is told by the number of tires it wore througout its life!

Now is is in a bare field about a mile from my house and used primarily for shooting practice. Sad

Thanks for looking

Woody

Terry

Woody,
I'm partial to the B&W one as well and I am sure it looks great at that large size.

N

nickr

Thanks for sharing, I do have a question as I'm trying to learn about the Hassy H3 (I use an H1 body and lenses but not the chip). Why would it take a month, is it that complicated, or are you just busy with other things?

woodyspedden

Thanks for sharing, I do have a question as I'm trying to learn about the Hassy H3 (I use an H1 body and lenses but not the chip). Why would it take a month, is it that complicated, or are you just busy with other things?
Not at all Nick. This is my first foray into MF and things like the extremely shallow DOF etc has caused me to really rethink how to shoot in this venue. I could have posted some "decent" images but there were always things missing that caused me to wait and continue to experiment. As Guy said in another thread, shooting at 5.6 in MF is about the same as shooting at 2.8 in 35mm. This is not a problem so long as you recognize the issue and adjust. But until you get some experience, you just don't have a "feel" as to what you are going to be producing. May be easier for others but with my complete inexperience in the MF world, it took some real time to get a handle on all of it.

I always look to others to help me jump the learning curve so come on down as they used to say in the days of game shows. LOL

Woody

woodyspedden

Woody,
I'm partial to the B&W one as well and I am sure it looks great at that large size.
Thanks Terry

I am also partial to the B&W but I submit that if you saw the 22x30 prints you may be more confused as to the relative merits and demerits of the two. There are subtle areas in the color print, particularly those of primarily yellow and reds, that at large size give a three dimensionality to the print that is hard to describe (and see at screen resolution and sizes) and believe. I really like this print and wish all could see at large size.

Anyway, the most important thing to me is that I have now really bought into the notion that high resolution backs e.g. the 39Mpx, have a real advantage for large size printing that is hard to achieve when it is necessary to do large uprezzing! Believe me I wasn't sure and having invested over $31K to get to this point I was swallowing hard LOL.

I am now happy. But this proves the adage that you must know what you are trying to achieve in order to know if your investment has been worthwhile.

Thanks to all for your comments.

See you in Miami

Woody

N

nickr

Not at all Nick. This is my first foray into MF and things like the extremely shallow DOF etc has caused me to really rethink how to shoot in this venue.
I always look to others to help me jump the learning curve so come on down as they used to say in the days of game shows. LOL

Woody
Ah, I see. It's funny about MF, I think I shoot 99% of my MF stuff on a heavy tripod and a lot with the mirror locked up, even then, focus and movement is always a little dicey. When I shoot 120mm macro close up, even f8 or f11 has ridiculous shallow dof, that's why I love the AF of the H1 lenses just to check to see how it compares to what I choose.

PeterA

Woody the first one illustrates quite nicely how difficult it is to capture the 'golden light' and not blow your highlights without losing shadow detail - good luck! LOL

The second one in B&W conversion is quite an appealing composition - the line over the tyres is very beautiful to my eye.

Pete

dfarkas

Workshop Member
Love that second one Woody. Really stunning. Glad the system is working for you now.

I'll be seeing you in my neck of the woods soon. You better let me play with that Blad in the studio. ;)

David

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I agree , your getting there . When you hit the workshop we will work on a whole bunch of stuff that will help you out a great deal. More folks need to sign up. This is what I do best folks is lighting and i have a whole bag of tricks for you in the studio with lighting. One shot alone will have about 15 lights going on the set to shoot a cool product. I will show Portrait lighting from 1 light to six lights and the same for fashion lighting with the models. Plus we will hit on every accessory in lighting and what it does well and what it does not do well. We have Profoto's , Broncolors and seeing if David from Dale will also bring in some Elinchroms. We have Doug from Capture Intergation which is the brain child of C1 and Phase products and also Steve with all the Hassy, Sinar and leaf. No shitting around folks this maybe the most educational and fun workshop put on to date. My guarantee if you don't learn how to light something after this workshop than i will quit doing them. I kid you not, I have been lighting sets for 35 years and this is my bowl of fish.:D

woodyspedden

One thing I now have noticed for sure. It is really hard to convey the essence of the images on the web, no matter how well prepared. The color image of the river is really quite lovely on the 22x30 print and particularly nice are the subtle colors of reds and yellows that help the image "come to life." Frankly I don't see any of that on the web image.

Oh well, I am probably doing something wrong and will learn from Jack and Guy how to get it right when at the workshop.

Woody

woodyspedden

Woody the first one illustrates quite nicely how difficult it is to capture the 'golden light' and not blow your highlights without losing shadow detail - good luck! LOL

The second one in B&W conversion is quite an appealing composition - the line over the tyres is very beautiful to my eye.

Pete
You sure are right Peter. I tried really hard to not blow out the sun but obviously failed.This is one of those areas where HDR is probably necessary to capture the entire dynamic range. My problem is that I haven't seen many HDR images that I felt were lifelike...........i.e. not looking processed. Another area where I need to learn more in order to take advantage of the opportunities.

Woody

David K

Workshop Member
Woody, add me to the list of folks that love the B&W image. With regard to the color landscape shot, I run into this (blown sky) all the time and frankly have been thinking of getting some ND filters to handle this situation. I know most folks don't use them much any more and just blend a couple of different exposures in post. Might be an interesting topic on it's own.

woodyspedden

Hey Doctor D

I think that unless you are O.K. with the rendition of HDR images (which at the moment I am not!) it may well be time to go back to the tried and true which of course are ND filters. The problem is no different than when we were trying to shoot landscapes with primarily Velvia trannies which had notoriously low DR. So most of the guys and gals who really knew what they were doing (think Galen Rowel, David Dykinga etc) used these filters to great advantage.

Maybe all of us have fallen into the trap of believing that we can take care of bad exposures in post, which of course is not true! Perhaps it is now truer than ever that we need to get it right in camera so our post processing is minimal at best. Lot to be said for ND filtration IMHO!

Woody