The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Ordered a Hy6 and Leaf Aptus II 12 today!

Anders_HK

Anders/Graham,

Do either of you hesitate to use the Hy6 in inclement weather such as dust or harsh environments. I ask only because of the fan located in the DB. Thanks.
Leaf backs are SOLID and DURABLE :thumbs:

The Afi-II 12 is my second Leaf and cost $$ from my personal accounts, and frank very high $$ for me personally. I am a serious amateur and it yields no income.

As an expat my current base is Hong Kong and with travels across South East Asia and to Europe and back, had I had slightest concern I would not have bought another Leaf but I find it the best TOOL for my images. :angel:

Vents for fan is no issue, unless... if you perhaps shoot unprotected in rain or sand storm, which arguably will not yield good images... In my opinion weather sealing is overrated. Taking well care of gear is the key, but to nevertheless use them as TOOLS.

The first travel with my first Leaf (Aptus 65) was to dusty India and I do not hesitate to bring it to the beach (but not into water)! :D.

This subject was discussed on LuLa; ;)

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=54074

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=46491.140

As for the Rollei, I will simply take well care of it and use it same as any other photographic TOOL I used and owned. It will stay fine and mint. The only of my tool taking beating is my tripod... Gitzo/Manfrotto carbons can handle lots of beating...

I simply shoot whenever and wherever I believe I can capture a good image. Landscapes often means on the rough...

Regards
Anders

Graham Mitchell

Anders/Graham,

Do either of you hesitate to use the Hy6 in inclement weather such as dust or harsh environments. I ask only because of the fan located in the DB. Thanks.
I haven't received mine yet, but I assume the fan pumps air through a heat exchanger only, and not through the internal components of the back, so it shouldn't really be an issue.

Graham congrats. I wish you give us the eye candy of looking at your new camera through pictures at different angles. How about a little video on Youtube showing how you operate the camera? Pleeeeeeeease
Eduardo
Perhaps once I've received it :)

johnnygoesdigital

Thanks Guys,

Makes sense on the heat exchanger. I must say, that I prefer the Leafs rendering of files above all. I've come across a few Hy6's, and Calumet might have one in stock. I also agree, that the waist finder does eliminate some camera movement, simply from one's placement of the hands/arms, usually tucked inwards. Thanks again for the info.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Ordered a Leaf Aptus II 12, Hy6, waist level finder, 45 degree finder, 6060 film magazine and remote control today! Can't wait for the new toys to arrive
Congratulations Graham! First off, I know you'll make that combo sing for you :thumbs:. Second, PLEASE feel free to write up a comprehensive review on the system so we can post it here in the gear review section --- I suspect it will be a valuable resource for other and future Hy6 users!

Anders_HK

I've come across a few Hy6's, and Calumet might have one in stock.
You may wish to verify that those are DHW Hy6 by contacting DHW directly to confirm the serial. Else DHW may or may not support you if problems, and likewise the Hy6 may not have latest updates or be under warranty.

Regards
Anders

Geoff

Still a bit unclear about the weather sealing and the lenses. I have had the Rollei Schneider lenses since 1993, and the 60 mm Curtagon I still own from the mid-1990's. The 90 was added in c. 1998, and yes, I did drop it in the sand, and it needed several cleanings to get all the sand out - but that's not what you mean.

If you mean weather sealing on the AF lenses, then those would be more recent lenses (noting that the Hy6 is comfortable using all the PQ lenses back to the early 1990's). The only AF lens I have is the 80, and I'm sure its not sealed like the products of Canikon or other mainline manuf. OTOH, I wouldn't treat it the same, but perhaps you have a broader sense of use.

As to weather sealing in general, it gets tucked close to the body in freezing weather, none of these cameras go out on long desert journeys, but I've taken the Hy6 up to a 14,000' mtn in Colorado without a problem you mention (not the smartest thing ever done as I was wondering if I'd ever make it....but that's another story).

They are from smaller production runs and probably have the shortcomings you mention, but hasn't been an issue for me. Dirt on the focusing glass is more of an issue, but that's easily fixed. So yes, its probably a bit sensitive, but haven't seen this to be an issue.

R

richard.L

Ordered a Leaf Aptus II 12, Hy6, waist level finder, 45 degree finder, 6060 film magazine and remote control today! Can't wait for the new toys to arrive .
Color me envious:D ... the 6060 option seems very interesting to me. Love to hear how this all works out // fits into your shooting...

Doesn't seem that Hy is strong here in the states. Too bad.

richard //

delled

Graham --

Congratulations on your coming arrival. I'm sure you'll be happy and productive with it.

As to the Novoflex Q-base device, I learned today that my substitute Arca-Swiss plates (#802232) are actually in-country. I'll post something about them when they arrive.

Baudolino --

Thanks for your suggestions. Unfortunately, DHW is an ocean away, so, with the help of your suggestions and those of a couple of others I'm about to dive into a calbration effort. I'll report back to the forum when I have useful results.

I'm very glad to see so much active interest in the AFi/HY6 and Leaf backs.

Dave.

In reply to delled's posting, specifically your point 2:

(1) as to the AF offset, one way to do this is (I presume) to have DHW make the measurements for you and tell you what the offsets should be for each of your AF lenses. I had this done by Sinar while I was in Zurich to get my Sinar Hy6 fixed (it had a simple problem with one of the pins in the bayonet, they fixed it while I waited and also upgraded by firmware and printed a little card with offsets for each of my lenses). don't know if DHW would do this for you, but you can ask. My 80 mm lens gets +1, the 50 mm lens gets -7 and the 180 mm telephoto gets -6. I am not sure if there is any difference between AF and AFD lenses as far as this feature is concerned. In any event, the camera does not automatically change the offsets depending on the lens you are using - you have to change the offset manually every time you change the lens. I see no reason why this would not work with the AF lenses; my lenses are AFD though.

(2) you can do this yourself, with the Lens Align Pro. The best way is to tether the camera/MFDB, have it save images to your HD via Captureshop or whatever SW your back uses so that you can compare subsequent images quickly. Start with 0 adjustment and see where the lens is focusing and try the adjustments until you get it right. I haven't noticed any focus shift with the lenses, so if you do this wide open for each lens, you should be good.

I am afraid I don't know the answers to your other questions. I usually use the smallest focusing sensor size and assume that it is the same size as the little circle in the middle of the viewfinder.

Graham

I'd sure be interested in the reasoning behind your choice of the Hy6 body. It seems to me to be an unusual and brave decision!

OliverM

Graham,

you made amongst the best portraits with your previous set-up, film-like, great colors and very natural looking. My choice of the Sinar 54LV was clearly influenced by your pictures.
I didn't find the same impression very often when looking at pictures from other cameras/backs (on the web ... a limit certainly), that might provide more detailed or technically better files I assume.
So I will look with the greatest interest at the portraits you will make with the AII-12 ! I hope you will keep the same unique core qualities, while adding more of everything ...

Marc

EH21

Graham

I'd sure be interested in the reasoning behind your choice of the Hy6 body. It seems to me to be an unusual and brave decision!
There's lots of us with the AFi-ii 12 so he's not alone. I'm sure Graham will explain his own reasoning, but I can tell you why I chose it:

1) A fantastic set of lenses are available, as well as extensive macro equip.
2) Snyc speeds up to 1/1000 and all lenses have leaf shutters
3) 6x6 camera with WLF, 45 and 90 degree prisms plus lupe finder choices
4) View through all finders big and bright
5) 1/3 stop adjustment on all settings
6) Rotating back without removal
7) Focus bracketing, Exposure bracketing, Focus trap
8) Excellent ergonomics (IMHO).
9) Ultra fast release option for special applications (less than 3 milliseconds)
10) Display of histogram and all relevant settings in grip
11) Very quick adjustment of relevant settings such as program modes, metering modes, exposure compensation, flash compensation, all without taking hands off shooting position.
12) New bodies, lenses, parts, and service are available direct from the factory or resellers such as B&H.

EH21

PS.
The AFi-ii 12 backs can be fit to Alpa bodies, X-Act2, Mamiya RZ, and a variety of technical cameras.

Anders_HK

New bodies, lenses, parts, and service are available direct from the factory or resellers such as B&H.
Be careful of B&H :eek:. Per what I was told by Mr. Hans Hartje, CEO of DWH, Hy6 sold by B&H apparent is not DHW Hy6, and as such warranty and support is highly questionable.

I live in Hong Kong but found it worthwhile to contact DHW in Germany direct to verify on agent/dealer here in Hong Kong. After all they are only an email and phone call away, and do speak English :D. You can try by email and to follow up by phone call. Their phone numbers are here http://www.rolleiflexpages.com/testsandinformation.html albeit country code there is wrong. It should be +49, not +43. Mr. Hartje and Agent was kind to support in special order for my Hy6 to take Leaf battery in handle.

Regards
Anders

EH21

Be careful of B&H :eek:. Per what I was told by Mr. Hans Hartje, CEO of DWH, Hy6 sold by B&H apparent is not DHW Hy6, and as such warranty and support is highly questionable.

I live in Hong Kong but found it worthwhile to contact DHW in Germany direct to verify on agent/dealer here in Hong Kong. After all they are only an email and phone call away, and do speak English :D. You can try by email and to follow up by phone call. Their phone numbers are here http://www.rolleiflexpages.com/testsandinformation.html albeit country code there is wrong. It should be +49, not +43. Mr. Hartje and Agent was kind to support in special order for my Hy6 to take Leaf battery in handle.

Regards
Anders

Anders,
That's interesting to read and good advice. I do know some items from B&H are supplied directly from DHW (because they arrive with DHW stickers on them) but perhaps they have a stock of older bodies they picked up? A lot of their stock was sold off when they went through the insolvency and dealers picked up a lot of it. You can see on some ebay venders such as 9daysHK and BegruetCamera that they indicate the bodies were produced by DHW this year. Something to look out for though on used bodies I guess - always best to check with the factory first. Certainly for the bodies the price is cheaper from the factory and you can customize your body and order - for example if you don't want a film back or 80mm lens you can buy the body without for a lot cheaper.

Eric

Anders_HK

Eric,

It is getting more interesting...

Livecoal is Rollei agent for Hong Kong, Mainland China and I believe also Singapore and Macao. Their dealer 9days is in same building... and is the one I ordered from... and you can of course negotiate price... (from dealer, not agent).

You may also note on Livecoal website that BegruetCamera is not at all listed as a dealer of Livecoal. Also, non of the major camera shops in Hong Kong carry Rollei by Livecoal (yet), only select small ones have jumped on due to what someone told me the requirement to be a dealer.

Actually if you look on BegruetCamera ebay items they are listed as in "Hong Kong" but are said to be shipping from Guangzou (is in Guangdong Province, China Mainland). Why is that? That means it is complete B.S. that they are based in Hong Kong, which to my knowledge they are not! If you follow prices on Ebay BegruetCamera also overprice hoping someone will buy goods from them! Thus in my book they are not credible and NO WAY I would trust them. Same go for other Ebay dealers that say located in "Hong Kong" and ship from Guangdong or ship by China Post. Here in Hong Kong we ship from Hong Kong and we use Hong Kong Post, since China Post do not operate in Hong Kong, only in China Mainland. Hong Kong belongs to China but is like a different country! Unfortunate there are a number of ebay sellers on China side using location "Hong Kong" since Hong Kong give impression of more confidence...

9days and Livecoal are credible and are authorized by DHW. A Hy6 from Livecoal or one of their dealers comes with one year warranty by DHW and three years warranty from Livecoal. During first year Livecoal also provide a loaner.

Hong Kong. An advise, do not believe that all dealers are credible, you need know where to be able shop with trust. There are also dealers that direct import their own grey market products with in shop warranty or Japan warranty etc. Interesting place! :)

Regards
Anders

Graham Mitchell

Thanks for the kind words, everyone!

Hi David, fair question. First of all, I have a set of lenses for this system already which I have been using on the Rollei 6008AF. These are excellent lenses and I don't feel any other platform offers better significantly lenses at the moment. The best alternatives seem to be the Phase Schneider lenses and the Leica S2 lenses. Both lineups are less complete and must be bought new rather than used because they are so new in the market. I don't think they offer a macro or tilt/shift lens yet which the Hy6 platform does.

Then there is the choice of 3 viewfinders possible with the Hy6, the rotating sensor or rotating back options allowing you to keep the camera vertical at all times also allowing use of the waist level finder in portrait mode, and never having to remove the digital back. There's the ergonomics, fast flash sync, bracketing features, focus trapping, ability to run both camera and back from one battery, built-in colour temperature sensor, TTL metering built into camera body so it works with all finder options, 2ms shutter lag, etc. It's a very capable camera.

Last edited:

Geoff

As to buying from the factory:

I found a demo Leaf back at a dealer in Portugal who was faced with the possibility of sending it back to Kodak or selling it. So it was a good price. I then contacted DHW who were quite willing to sell me a body without a back, configured for a Leaf battery (they were ahead of me on this, I didn't really understand the need for that).

The two parts came together surrounded by a collection of lenses built up over the past 15 years - and mirabile dictu, has worked like a charm. The back just plugged into the body and worked from day 1.

The snags? Once in a while need to shut down and start up again. Rare, but it happens. I've had the odd gremlin, but they mostly go away. The meter is sometimes on the money, sometimes seems off by .7 EV, but I can't tell if that's me, the camera or something else. I suppose it should get straightened out, but I just shoot to the histogram and don't worry that much about it. If the factory were next door, I'd go talk to them about it (or even a dealer).

All the lenses work well, the focus confirmation is just dead on, allowing a whole bunch of manual lenses to be re-invigorated. Rotating sensor is lovely (how do other people deal with moving their backs on and off?) and everything is very flexible. WLF used to be ideal, but I now find the 45º finder very nice also. Surprised, but then again, this is a camera to grow with.

Graham I've been checking the specs of the Hy6, and it certainly has quite a few unique and (to me) unusual features. An exciting purchase for sure! The finder options are fascinating. Hope it works out well for you! Get lots of batteries, even though you'll only need one at a time :)

Last edited:

archivue

Anyone knows of a compact charger for two Leaf batteries???

Regards
Anders
i've bought mine from capture integration... they are the only one to carry it...

Capture Integration's custom Hahenel Battery Charger kit contains plates to charge both Leaf, Phase One, and Canon 5D Mark 2 (LP-E6) batteries. It provides a readout of current charge level even when not plugged in - allowing you to use it as a battery checker as well as charger. It folds together so that the electronic contacts are protected during transport. The kit also includes a car charger.

http://www.captureintegration.com/store/phase-one-accessories/

JorisV

Just for my understanding, is the Leaf Aptus-II 12(R) the only digital back option for the Hy6 camera?
Does a Sinar digital back or an older Hasselblad digital back support the Hy6 platform as well?