The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Ordered a Hy6 and Leaf Aptus II 12 today!

baudolino

Just for my understanding, is the Leaf Aptus-II 12(R) the only digital back option for the Hy6 camera?
Does a Sinar digital back or an older Hasselblad digital back support the Hy6 platform as well?
Of course the Sinar backs work with the Hy6 - i use the eMotion 75 LV, but also the other Sinar backs (eMotion 54LV and the eSprit 65, etc.) are compatible...

Graham Mitchell

Just for my understanding, is the Leaf Aptus-II 12(R) the only digital back option for the Hy6 camera?
Does a Sinar digital back or an older Hasselblad digital back support the Hy6 platform as well?
Some older Leaf backs were made in the AFi/Hy6 mount too but I'm not sure if they are still new stock or whether you would have to find them on the used market.

As baudolino wrote, some Sinar backs are also compatible but again I am not sure if they are still current stock or available on used market only.

JorisV

Thanks for the reply. You mention the "new stock they sell" somewhere. Is that a confirmation that DHW is indeed making new cameras and not only selling deadstock? I have never seen that confirmed anywhere that this is indeed the case.

Graham Mitchell

Joris, I think the issue is not so clear cut. Most camera makers make models in batches, and continue to sell that batch for some time until they either replace the model with a new one, or produce another batch of the same. There's no reason for DHW to produce more while they have stock. Whether they would be prepared to do so is a question I can't answer, but they do seem serious about developing the platform, with a new lens also on the way.

Geoff

They have introduced two new lenses - the 150 in AF (and I think manual focus) and 120 (manual focus only). And also the 6x6 film back. While some have suggested they may have made new stock cameras, but like Graham noted, its not clear. But the lenses are new, and are in the marketplace, albeit in small numbers.

kuau

Workshop Member
Graham,
you are going to love the hy6
I have been using mine for a few weeks now no complaints at all.
I just ordered the 45 degree finder from dhw today.
I wish I could have afforded the II 12 back, but it was out my my budget.
I am very pleased with my aptus II 7 afi, though I would love to find a used aptus II 10 afi back.
I am very happy now with my new setup, leaf afi, and Sinar arTec tech view camera. I feel I have the best of both worlds.

steven

EH21

Anders,
Thanks for the insights and info re the Honk Kong dealers and Begruet Camera. Honestly I've avoided dealing with anyone except directly with DHW and B&H photo. 9daysHK seems to list quite a few hard to find Rollei items on ebay and their site so good to know. The only reason I'd not go with DHW would be to avoid the difficulty of the bank wire payment process, so I might be tempted for small items, however DHW have offered me the lowest prices of anyone and shipments usually arrive in the US within a week from payment - actually faster than B&H.

The camera continues to amaze me. You read a lot about how the 80mega pix will require rigorous treatment but I'm getting quite sharp pictures handheld in natural light with it, and I am thrilled with the AF focus accuracy and convenience of the rotating back - and also sensorflex.

Graham, I saw the picture you posted on LuLa with the Aptus 12. I'm looking forward to seeing what you can do with the AFi-ii 12!

Graham Mitchell

The Hy6 arrived today. Just waiting for the Leaf back now. After the 6008AF, this thing feels a lot smaller, lighter and tighter. It's so similar to the 6008 yet so much more modern. Nice! Might run a roll of 120 film through it while I wait for the back (if you can buy 120 film in Dubai!)

Plus Hy6 does not accept traditional mechanical cable release...
Now that I have the remote control I can confirm that it has a 2-stage button, so that explains in part why they have not gone for a mechanical release.

Anders_HK

Now that I have the remote control I can confirm that it has a 2-stage button, so that explains in part why they have not gone for a mechanical release.
They could have done like Mamiya, allowed for both, the mechanical just screwed to shutter button. Small detail though, great camera as is. Will be really interesting to hear (and I hope also we can learn from your impression) after you have worked it with the 12! The 12 made me finally give up film, sold my last 5x boxes of Velvia 50 4x5 the other week. :)

Regards
Anders

Geoff

Just to clarify - has MLU and shutter release? Would be nice. The Leaf remote (plugs in to the back) only has shutter release.

EH21

Just to throw a curve into the cable release discussion - I am wondering really if there's much difference using mirror up anyhow. Certainly with older cameras and other makes, but the Hy6 is pretty well damped. For example, I've been doing some side by side testing of the AFi-ii 12 fitted with the 90mm apo macro lens and the CFii-39MS on a 6008AF with the same lens. The multishot files benefitted from having mirror up in between all frames, however the AFi did not but still got more detail. I am starting to wonder how much the mirror up matters with the AFi. Anyone really test this?

Geoff

Not scientifically, but empirically: shooting the 300 lens on a monopod, with MLU and getting some pretty clean shots. With mirror - less so.

So too, MLU has come in handy with normal lenses (60 or 80 mm) and slow shutter speeds, hand held. I typically take 3 quick shots with MLU, and usually one of these is sharp and the others aren't. At slow speeds hand held, the ones with the mirror in action can be a bit soft, although the dampening is quite good, and better than the 6008.

So while it seems that with the Hy6 the mirror dampening allows you to pick up about two stops on the 6008 (for handheld), the next jump benefits from MLU and leaf shutters.

Paratom

Graham,
I run my AFi 12 with just one battery in the grip. I've shot tethered to my mac book pro without any power problems or need for powered hub. The firewire 800 cable itself does present problems shooting tethered as the connections are not as secure as FW 400 were - it will come loose easily from the computer side.

Your comment about built in Q-base had me curious so I looked and I now see what I was missing. The bottom of the camera has both 1/4 and 3/8 screws and so the obvious thing is to just buy a bottom plate and screw it in, however the bottom of the camera is cleverly designed to fit right into this http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/269761-REG/Novoflex_Q_BASE_Q_Base_Automatic_Quick_Release.html - and that is really cool! The part that has the screw threads has arca style bevels in it already - no bottom plate needed! This would save the weight of an additional plate from the camera package and still allow other cameras to fit the tripod because the q=base will take other arca camera plates. Total genius on Rollei's part!

Regards,

Eric
Yes,
the Q-Base does work very well. I dont have my Hy6 any more but had used it with the Novoflex Q-Base without any problems.

Jérôme.E

This set seems very nice Graham... Happy for you.
I didn't know a lot about the Hy6 but after reading all of these comments, it sounds not good for my wallet!!
I was first interested with the RZPro II to mount my Aptus II 10.
Does an Aptus II 10 will fit on the Hy6?? Or the need of AFI is necessary?