The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

H4D-60 firmware update R500

Sharokin

I just spoke to a Hasselblad rep in Los Angeles today and he informed me that Hassy people in Denmark told him the improvements in the H4D60 will soon be available for the rest of the H4D line.

JorisV

Pretty big boost for the H4D line in my opinion. One that could convince potential buyers to take the plunge.

stngoldberg

I received the following email from Hasselblad:

Firmware R500 for H4D-60:

New Features:

- Rear LCD updated to full resolution - (H4D60) only
- One click 100% instant focus check – Already available on H4D40 and H4D50
- Camera grip info on rear LCD – Yes, planned in a future firmware release.
- Two directional electronic spirit level - Yes, planned in a future firmware release. There is a spirit level in the viewfinder as well, you will need to upgrade the firmware in the H4D body and HVD90x viewfinder. This firmware is available on our website.
- Live Video (requires Phocus 2.6.3 or later) - Already available on H4D40 and H4D50
- Support for Rollei & Schneider electronic shutter systems - Already available on H4D40 and H4D50

Fixes:

- Power down not working properly bug fixed
- Correct white balance tag embedded in file (daylight, tungsten etc.)
- User interface and stability optimization

Paul Claesson
Hasselblad Technical Support

Hasselblad USA
333 New Road, Suite 5
Parsippany, NJ 07054
Office: 800-367-6434 x303

www.hasselblad.com

Dustbak

I used live view. Works fine, seems to be even a bit faster than live view on older models.

Live view works on every other model as well (it only did not work on the 60). The other new features like double rez. display or leveling tool do NOT work on other models besides the 60.

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
So . . . does this update address the centerfolding issue using the H4d-60 back in a tech camera and shifting right or left with the back in portrait orientation?

Evidently not. Here's a two frame stitch with a SK 47mm lx lens, and a crop of the right hand side. I took scene calibration frames and applied them to the images.

I note again that this does not affect the excellent functionality of this back used on an H4D camera, as Hasselblad designed it to be used.

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
Hi Woody,

Do you get the center folding issue on the landscape orientation?

Stanley
No - that's never been a problem. In portrait orientation the effect seems to be independent of the amount of shift. Centered, the sensor is perfect, but even a small shift triggers it in portrait orientation.

stngoldberg

Thank you. I just ordered an arca swiss RM3D to use with my 50 H4D50 and I expect I will have the same problem on vertical shots. Do you use the Alpha LCC in photoshop after converting the image to a Tiff in Phocus?

Stanley

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
Thank you. I just ordered an arca swiss RM3D to use with my 50 H4D50 and I expect I will have the same problem on vertical shots. Do you use the Alpha LCC in photoshop after converting the image to a Tiff in Phocus?

Stanley
You will probably be ok - I think this problem is unique to the H4D 60 because of the Dalsa chip. Earlier Kodak chip backs work fine on tech cameras - I didn't have any problems with my h3d 39.

Last edited:

PeterL

Stanley
Just for clarification, the Alpa tool does not do LCC corrections, only distortion corrections. LCC will have to be done in your raw converter, for you Phocus.

Cheers, -Peter

Udo

Stanley
Stanley,

I am using the same back as you intend to use on a view/tech camera, but there is no centerfold issue neither in landscape nor in portrait orientation.

Regards, Udo

No - that's never been a problem. In portrait orientation the effect seems to be independent of the amount of shift. Centered, the sensor is perfect, but even a small shift triggers it in portrait orientation.
Hey Woody,

I sent you a couple of PM's on this a couple of months back but didn't hear from you.

I am on holiday in Canada at the moment but recommend you get a 3F to Hasselblad support.

David

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
To add...

I viewed both the IQ180 and H4D60 zoomed to 100% on both displays.

There was no discernible difference in resolution between the too. Also agreed by the Phase / Hasselblad dealer who offered to show us the IQ180 / Mamiya combo.
I have not had the chance to view an H4D-60 with the new firmware; and real-world not spec's are the only thing that matter. Therefore until I've seen one I make no assertions/judgements here at all other than listing the specs.

The spec of 190ppi for the H4D-60 LCD and the spec is 290ppi for the IQ180 LCD. (blog entry)

As users here download, install, and get real-world use of this H4D-60 update I'm sure the community will benefit from any independent end-user who happens to have both cameras, opinions on the above. The comparison would have to be on a detailed/sharp image of course.

It would also be good to hear from such end-users about their perceptions of the other elements of LCD quality: brightness, contrast, and view-ability in bright outdoor conditions with and without shading.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870 *| *Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

Masters Series Workshop:
New England Landscape - Fall Color (Oct 5-8)