The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Insuring your gear ...

RGoldman

I've been with Hill and Usher for several years. Haven't had to make a claim so can't say how they actually handle things if you do but the price was as good or better than the other agencies I checked with. The peace of mind I have when travelling or even shooting around here is worth the premium every year.

P

Porpoise

You all do know insurance companies are in the game for profit!?
IMO insurance is nice if:
1. They are mandatory by law
2. If your risk is far above average
3. If a loss would mean bankruptcy.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Your joking right. 50k lose we are all dead in the water. For that kind of dough my wife would hit me with a bat if not insured. BTW Im in business to make a profit and damn happy to charge the most I can too.

GMB

After I did a calculation of what it would cost me to replace my gear, I also decided to get insurance. Just makes me sleep better (or eat more peacefully when I leave hotel room). There are several offers for specialized camera insurers in Europe, but I noted it is important to read the fine print as they have very different conditions as regards what risks are covered or excluded (in particular, if gear is stolen from a car).

Prices seem to get reasonable if you include a clause that in case of claim you pay a certain amount (250, 500, or 1,000 Euros) yourself. Since I mainly want to insure the risk of loss or theft of a major part of the equipment, that's fine with me.

Guy Mancuso

Yes most plans have different deductibles that you can do. Just like car insurance. Mine is 500. For the amount of coverage I have it actually is quite inexpensive.

I just had my first real camera accident in 20 years, so I'm very glad I have commercial insurance. I mostly had the coverage for liability, though. Lots of sites that I shoot at wouldn't let me in without it, so I really had no choice. And from what I hear, most of the yearly cost (mine is about $1200, and I'm in NYC) is for the liability as well. So while I could have put away $1200 each year and covered this week's damage, I don't have a medium format back. And I'm much more comfortable having the liability damage.

Guy Mancuso

I have a 5 million liability package since it is required by two of my corporate clients. I have to have it. Also I have to prove it with a certificate. Now I work a lot in the aerospace and defense communication areas which dictates these requirements.

So depending on your field of photography you need to adjust. Frankly no Pro should even pick up a camera without liability insurance. You would be nuts not too have it. We do get sued folks for all different reasons and the most lawsuits come from you guessed it weddings.

etrump

Wayne, I had the exact mishap while I was in Australia but not near as lucky as you. Fortunately I was carrying the 645df and 75-150 instead of the cambo which I use 90% of the time. On a $1500 repair I think I paid $100.

Be very careful with homeowner or personal coverages, you want a commercial use policy if you are trying to earn money and/or writing off expenses related to your photography.

I just factor the insurance cost into my budget/pricing.

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
Wayne put it under Pixels Foto and frame get a commercial package
Actually checking this ... if I can get a personal equipment rider through Pixels. I'm starting to do some workshops through the place so I'm using my equipment while teaching. Somehow I should be able to justify it.

P

Porpoise

Your joking right. 50k lose we are all dead in the water. For that kind of dough my wife would hit me with a bat if not insured. BTW Im in business to make a profit and damn happy to charge the most I can too.
Nope. 50k will really, really hurt. But it won't make me bankrupt. Why share your profit with the insurance companies? If you add up all the risks which would not be really disastrous, you should be able to pay those easily with what you save on yearly insurance costs.
Of course, if you are a pro and would in no way be able to pay for new gear after a loss, that counts as a disaster.

P

Porpoise

After I did a calculation of what it would cost me to replace my gear, I also decided to get insurance. Just makes me sleep better (or eat more peacefully when I leave hotel room). There are several offers for specialized camera insurers in Europe, but I noted it is important to read the fine print as they have very different conditions as regards what risks are covered or excluded (in particular, if gear is stolen from a car).

Prices seem to get reasonable if you include a clause that in case of claim you pay a certain amount (250, 500, or 1,000 Euros) yourself. Since I mainly want to insure the risk of loss or theft of a major part of the equipment, that's fine with me.
Many (probably most) insurers won't cover your stuff if it is stolen from a hotel room without forced entry. Could luck claiming it from the hotel owner in that case.

At least choose the highest deductible possible. In addition to the profit of the insurer come the high costs (don't forget your own time) for filing smaller claims. The difference between 250 euro and 1000 euro won't make you bankrupt (unless perhaps if you just went for that IQ180 you couldn't really afford :angel:).