The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

telephoto lens on Arca-Swiss RM3Di Camera Body

stngoldberg

Does anyone have any experience with o lens longer than 150mm 0n the Arca-Swiss RM3Di Camera Body?

Thank you in advance

Stanley

archivue

you have to have it mount with a sort of box on the rear between the body and the sensor... otherwise the tube on the front would be too long and vignetting would be important !

LonnaTucker

Does anyone have any experience with o lens longer than 150mm 0n the Arca-Swiss RM3Di Camera Body?

Thank you in advance

Stanley
I have experience with a 150 on Rm3d. The results were very good.

Arca-Swiss indicates it is possible to work with focal lengths up to 250mm on the R series cameras. As Archivue states, the Arca lens mounting includes an extender for the rear of the camera.

cs750

LonnaTucker: experiance using 150mm telephoto lens on Arca-Swiss Rm3di: Can you provide a little more information on your experience? What speciific lens were you using? What type images were you making...etc. Thanks. Charles

LonnaTucker

LonnaTucker: experiance using 150mm telephoto lens on Arca-Swiss Rm3di: Can you provide a little more information on your experience? What speciific lens were you using? What type images were you making...etc. Thanks. Charles
Charles, I was out photographing during the Palm Springs Photo Festival last early April. One of the participants had a 150mm Apo-Sironar digital. It is a general purpose lens for landscape, architecture, etc with an extremely large image circle.

For my personal work I favor the Schneider wides, but for commercial work I do utilize normal to telephoto lenses. I have a Contax system and use the 140mm and 120 Makro a lot commercially with a Leaf back. I think a 150mm would be useful depending on what you photograph, of course.

The longest lens I had used previously on an Rm3d was the SK 72mm XL. I don't know what you shoot, but if you are backpacking gear, the 150mm mounting for Arca-Swiss R isn't heavy, it just takes up more room in a backpack. Hope that helps.

cs750

Lonna, thanks. I am on an Arca-Swiss Rm3di waiting list, and am simply trying to inform myself on the telephoto and macro possibilities. Charles

stngoldberg

Thank you Lonna and Charles
Does anyone else have any experience with long lenses in Arca-Swiss-Rm3di?
Has anyone used anything longer than 150mm?

Stanley

Terry

Nope interesting thread for me as I will probably end up with the 150mm before too long.

jlm

Workshop Member
i've been diddling around with a 120 on my cambo. love the format but...did not consider how long 120mm is when setting focus. that lens has to hang out there, achieved by cambo by adding a backplane spacer. works great, but means you have to change the lens (duh) and also remove the back and fit in the spacer in between body and back

RodK

correct. The 90 still works without one.
Actually, the 100mm from Schneider is also without back extension.

The back extension keeps geometry correct so movements remain accurate and easy to use and there is less vignetting as extension diameter is larger than front tube.
Also helps with balance on tripod.