The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Schneider Digitar 100 VS Rody 90

vjbelle

I'm considering purchasing a Rody 90 for my Alpa but am also very interested in the Schneider 100. Image circles are large in each lens and I'll assume that both are sharp. Only drawback to the Rody is its a short barrel. Can anyone recommend one over the other?

Victor

PeterL

I'm also considering the 100mm Digitar, one thing to keep in mind is the minimum focus distance is 1.8m for the Digitar, but 0.6m for the HR-90-W. But the Rodenstock is heavier at 530g vs. 392g for the Digitar. I actually like the short barrel, allows you to place the spacer in front of or on the back of the camera.

Cheers, -Peter

vjbelle

I'm also considering the 100mm Digitar, one thing to keep in mind is the minimum focus distance is 1.8m for the Digitar, but 0.6m for the HR-90-W. But the Rodenstock is heavier at 530g vs. 392g for the Digitar. I actually like the short barrel, allows you to place the spacer in front of or on the back of the camera.

Cheers, -Peter
You know, that's something to consider..... thanks for bringing that up. I am auditioning a 150 that also requires the 34mm spacer and find that the spacer and lens on the front just about equalize the weight with an IQ180. I also want to minimize any and all instances of removing the back from the body so the spacer stays on the front of the body. The weight difference is inconsequential to me but the minimum focus distance is something to think about.

Victor

I received the 90 2 days ago. Other benefits .. SB lenses take up less space (if you have more than one). You may want to use the tilt adapter in future and you can use the 34mm extender on other lenses for macro work.

The drawbacks for some could be that 90 is a heavy lens and quite long. With the spacer on the front of a TC there isn't enough space to hold the small finger grip. The TC + 90 + Leaf back is roughly as long as a DF + 80/2.8D + back!

I've been too busy to actually shoot with it. One test shot at home shows it is incredibly sharp and that I can use full movements on a Max. It's going to take a while to familiarise myself with this lens and the Max.

Thierry

Dear Peter,

If I am not mistaken, it is 1,5m for the 4.5/90mm Digitar and 1,3m for the HR Digaron-W 5.6/90 mm *SB*

Best
Thierry

I'm also considering the 100mm Digitar, one thing to keep in mind is the minimum focus distance is 1.8m for the Digitar, but 0.6m for the HR-90-W.
-Peter

PeterL

Hi Thierry,
I got this from the official Alpa price-list dated 09/2010. I think from Photokina. Here is a cut of the relevant data sheet. The 100mm Digitar shows 1.8m and the Digaron-W 90mm 0.6m, are these data not correct?

Cheers, -Peter

Dear Peter,

If I am not mistaken, it is 1,5m for the 4.5/90mm Digitar and 1,3m for the HR Digaron-W 5.6/90 mm *SB*

Best
Thierry

Thierry

Hi Peter,

I am not sure about this list, if there was a mistake in it. Nevertheless, these 2 lenses are listed on Alpa's site with the values I gave you, and as well in the official Rodenstock and Schneider brochures:

Schneider Apo-Digitar 4.5/90 mm N

Rodenstock HR Digaron-W 5.6/90 mm *SB*

Rodenstock Brochure

Schneider Brochure

Thierry

Hi Thierry,
I got this from the official Alpa price-list dated 09/2010. I think from Photokina. Here is a cut of the relevant data sheet. The 100mm Digitar shows 1.8m and the Digaron-W 90mm 0.6m, are these data not correct?

Cheers, -Peter

PeterL

I see the Digaron-W 90mm being listed at 1.3m so there must be a mistake in the Alpa price-list from Photokina, but the 100mm Digitar is 1.8m as I originally stated. These were the lenses the OP posted about.

Cheers, -Peter

Hi Peter,

I am not sure about this list, if there was a mistake in it. Nevertheless, these 2 lenses are listed on Alpa's site with the values I gave you, and as well in the official Rodenstock and Schneider brochures:

Schneider Apo-Digitar 4.5/90 mm N

Rodenstock HR Digaron-W 5.6/90 mm *SB*

Rodenstock Brochure

Schneider Brochure

Thierry

vjbelle

I've been very happy with the Rodenstock HR Digaron-S 100/4 (I also use the HR 35/4 and HR 60/4).

It is extremely sharp on the P65+ across the frame. Wt is 640 gms.

http://www.alpa.ch/en/products/lenses/adapted-alpa-lenses/rodenstock-hr-digaron-s-4_0-100-mm.html
The problem with the S series lenses is that the image circle is very small. There aren't any movements available for an IQ180 so that moves me into the W series lenses. I think that Rodenstock will more than likely have to upgrade the S series to accommodate the larger sensors.

Victor