The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Phase One Body Rumors

ddanois

I was wondering if there have been any hints of what Phase One might be planning for a new body and when?

I currently have a 645DF and have been very disappointed in the AF and general reliability compared to other platforms. I LOVE my new IQ180 but feel as though it's a Lamborghini with a Mini engine.

I hope that we can expect a body that's worthy of the IQ180 and Schneider LS lenses.

henrkfoto

Do you think the AF is too slow or not accurate enough compared to other MF systems? Are you comparing to Hasselblad?

ddanois

Do you think the AF is too slow or not accurate enough compared to other MF systems? Are you comparing to Hasselblad?
I'm not so concerned with faster AF (I use a Nikon D3s for these situations) but I would appreciate more accurate AF. I know that everyone blows this one off because you can manually focus but my trouble is that my eyesight is not a good as it used to be. The IQ180 is a HUGE leap forward in MF digital backs and can only imagine what the proper companion body would be for such a fantastic piece of capture technology.

I would just be great if a $50k camera system had better (more consistent and accurate) AF than a $5k DSLR.

Is that too much to ask in 2011?

henrkfoto

I use the DF with the Leaf 80 mp. I am very happy with the back. Really the only real big improvement since the 16mp back.

The DF is better than I feared, but I would be happy to see something like the Hasselblads true focus. When you shoot with open lenses at 2,8 and focus at he eyes, the focus is very easily lost when you move the camera slightly to compose. The DOF is so extremely thin with these backs that a much better af is absolutely needed!

Henrik

QUOTE=ddanois;334957]I'm not so concerned with faster AF (I use a Nikon D3s for these situations) but I would appreciate more accurate AF. I know that everyone blows this one off because you can manually focus but my trouble is that my eyesight is not a good as it used to be. The IQ180 is a HUGE leap forward in MF digital backs and can only imagine what the proper companion body would be for such a fantastic piece of capture technology.

I would just be great if a $50k camera system had better (more consistent and accurate) AF than a $5k DSLR.

Is that too much to ask in 2011?[/QUOTE]

Dan Santoso

Just heard another rumor from a good source. A new DF is coming soon with better autofocus. If this is true, wat do u think?

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I'm all in favor of better and faster AF, although I'm even more in favor of bulletproof back/body integration so that the thing doesn't lock up and fail.

On a personal note, I'd like them to improve the shutter reliability having just had my 3rd Mamiya/Phase One shutter fail, and in the DF case catastrophically.

Mammy645

Just heard another rumor from a good source. A new DF is coming soon with better autofocus. If this is true, wat do u think?
I'm pretty sure they're done improving on the current generation body, the next one will be a completely redesigned camera. At least that's what they said back when PhaseOne bought Mamiya. It also makes sense that they'd want to offer a camera platform in the same league as the new IQ backs. My guess is they'll reveal it later this year and start shipping in the first half of 2012.

Anders_HK

Gents,

Are we running a poll for the best guess??? :D

They say that with every body update of the M645, but I think there might be a bigger project underway, more of a complete re-design.
Knowing a few Phase folks, I'd be very surprised if we see anything new for at least a year. I'd guess 2013 might be more likely.
Actually, came across that someone high in P1 had said a DF2 based on current DF will be next, which may or may not be correct, but makes sense. Same time could be that they develop a complete new platform in background which likely takes longer to complete. Perhaps they can include learnings from Leaf on the Hy6 project??? Thus perhaps by end of year DF2, then the complete new in 2012~2013?

Meanwhile thus they may wish people to upgrade to the DF2... similar to Canon and Nikon per say? Repeat upgrades to keep things going?

But why build on a system that needs complete new camera and redesign of lenses in first place...??? :( Or, will be a radical camera as the IQ backs??? :bugeyes: Plus, if they incorporate waist level finder it will be small one and what use if cannot rotate sensor? No waist level finder means that Mamiya camera will continue to need lift to head level which is heavy to hand hold. These are some why Hy6 made sense to me, also higher quality and ergonomics... The DF3? Who knows... :rolleyes:

[Disclaimer: above are speculations]

Regards
Anders

markymarkrb

I haven't seen anything about a Phase One booth at Photokina. Has anyone confirmed Phase One will be there and hopefully with a 645DF replacement?