The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Weird issue with Alpa + DM/Leaf back and new Rodenstock 90

yaya

This looks like a bad case of pinky poohs...

I would not necessarily conclude that it is a shutter drag issue - yet.

before concluding that there is a problem with the shutter on your lens - and there may well be..

double check what sync setting you are using when the back is attached to the Alpa/Rodenstock

I cant remember what the correct setting is for a Leaf back - occassionaly I would get such results with the Leaf back and I can tell you when I used to use an H3D11-39 back I got similar results at times as well

One issue to consider is wether your back needs a wake up call before making the shot - I fixed all the pinky poohs issue when I read a tech article on the Alpa site regarding the wake up issue

you need ot make sure that the back is awake and has flushed and is ready and then you make the shot during the awake period flushed and ready period on a tech camera - other wise you will get some shots ok and some shots not depending ..

So in the correct mode for your back - check that you are allowing enough time for the back to wake up and get the sensor ready for the next shot and make sure you shoot the next shot in between this get ready get set go time ..when using on a tech camera

sorry I cant give you exact procedure with Lef it has been a few years since I used a 75. However to use a hassleblad back you must trigger the back and then trigger the shutter - otherwise you get this issue.

If all this is fine- then worry about the lens - the easiest way to check this is to find another lens and try that if you have the same problem - it isnt the lens.
You're wasting your time here Pete as Leaf backs do not need any wake-up sequence. If the back is set to Large Format all it does is wait a signal from the lens.
Unless there's a problem with the pc socket on the lens or the cable os worn (the latter is unlikely as otherwise it would fire at all) then I'm 100% sure it's the shutter

The easiest way to analyse it is to try another lens/ shutter at the same speeds

Yair

PeterA

yeah - of course you are correct Yair - and it isn't the only thing I liked about my 75 either! best colour 'out of the box' by far.... IF only it worked on the Afi...:poke:

oh well there is always the next one..;)

Yair, Doug,
... I've just tested 35 shots with a new metz cable I had bought and all were consistent. The higher speeds don't seem to register properly under tungsten lighting...
Further testing with the new cable in daylight shows that an additional 13 shots (so now 48 in total) have no magenta issue. I pushed the ISO and went to 1/500 at f11 as well as adjusting the focus over the shots. Note the back at most records 1/25s. The exposures seemed to correctly track 1 stop changes.

Thankyou Yair, you were spot on within minutes of my post, which was (for me) late on Sunday evening - Case closed

I want to say that after a string of problems (actually this lens issue was just the cable), I totally lost faith in my dealer (whom I have known for maybe 3 years or more) and was beyond "frustration and disappointment", well into "angry". Some of the comments on here were adding fuel to the fire, so I shut up, closed the page and escalated the problems to Alpa directly. Alpa (including the distributor based in China) are working hard to put things right at this very moment.

I don't know what advice to give in such a situation, I feel a dealer whom I trusted, has abused that trust and let me down in a big way. Thankfully Alpa have stepped in.