The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

iPhone and Holder for Alpa

vjbelle

Do any of you use this setup? I've tried the app (don't have the holder) and find it compelling but in reality it still only gets me close and further adjustments have to be made. My longest lens is a 150mm and even though that lens is a small rectangle in the viewer it may be all that's necessary. Would be great to hear from any users.....

Victor

narikin

The holder costs more than an iPhone at the moment. Alpa's prices can be ludicrous, as we all know.

If you are a zillionaire, and have money to burn go right ahead, and tell us how it is, please.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I use the iPhone holder (as per the thread linked by Stephen). In general it works extremely well with the Alpa and is more accurate and easier to use than an optical finder as you use longer focal lengths.

The one major issue for me though is actually the reflectiveness of the iPhone itself. There are lighting conditions where you can't see the iPhone display due to it being over powered by your own reflection. Maybe there are some anti-reflective iPhone coatings that can solve this - I'll often just use the optical finder instead when this happens. The other approach is to use a hoodman 2.5" loupe which I also use with my P40+ display.