The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Cambo WRS-333 Leveling Base

Don Libby

Starting some research for a newer lightweight alternative to when packing the Cube isn't the right thing to do. What I'm thinking is a lightweight hiking tripod with the WRS-333 attached which should get me closer to the ease of leveling than a ballhead.

The main question for anyone who has one of these - is it made specifically for a Cambo or can I use this with a camera w/a bracket such as my M9 or Sandy's 1DsIII with a L-bracket?

Don

Don Libby

Just found out that this is a no go for me as it's made specifically for the WRS. I was hoping for a head that could be used with multiple cameras and this isn't one of them. I think I'll stick with a lightweight tripod and carry the Cube.

Don

kdphotography

The new Arca Swiss D4 may be that lightweight geared head option for you ----if you can find one. Smaller profile than the Cube, and seems to be a better fit for a smaller tripod (at least smaller than your 5 series).

Don Libby

Are you sure ? The last tine I saw the thing, it wasn't "much" smaller compared to the cube.
I remember seeing it in passing and think you're correct. Doesn't matter as it's specific for Cambo and I wanted something that I could mount either my WRS or M9. I think I'll be sticking with the Cube for the lightweight tripod which is fine as I really really really (okay you get my point :D) like the Cube.

Don

jlm

Workshop Member
Saw a D4 at lance's get together, seems pretty nice, not as rugged/rigid as the cube, volumetrically smaller, maybe holds the camera a bit closer to the tripod plate.

main feature is the fast tilt and yaw which can override the geared tilt and yaw, so you get the geared action of the cube but can move large distance quite quickly.

having a cube, you wouldn't need one. not having a cube, it would be a pretty nice solution.

thomas