The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Travel with Alpa 12 TC

OliverM

I will travel across Morocco this summer and wonder if I should take my Alpa with me or not. The back is a Leaf 75s, the lens an Alpar AAA 35mm.
I think I read that large format lenses might suffer from dust, and I assume the fan in the Leaf doesn't like it neither. Of course I will not use the camera in windy situations, but dust will obviously contaminate everything.

I would appreciate your feedback on this.

Also none of my camera bags (I have a few), is well adapted to the Alpa. The 12 TC is small, but with the grip and viewfinder on it, the required storage dimensions are unusual (cubic).
Is it preferable to keep the viewfinder separate when traveling ? If not, any advice for the bag ?

Thanks
Marc Oliver

rga

I will travel across Morocco this summer and wonder if I should take my Alpa with me or not. The back is a Leaf 75s, the lens an Alpar AAA 35mm.
I think I read that large format lenses might suffer from dust, and I assume the fan in the Leaf doesn't like it neither. Of course I will not use the camera in windy situations, but dust will obviously contaminate everything.

Also none of my camera bags (I have a few), is well adapted to the Alpa. The 12 TC is small, but with the grip and viewfinder on it, the required storage dimensions are unusual (cubic).
Is it preferable to keep the viewfinder separate when traveling ? If not, any advice for the bag ?

Thanks
Marc Oliver
Hi Marc.
I use a ThinkTank Streetwalker Pro. It holds my STC, 35, 80, tilt adapter, small Pelican box with my P45+ and 3 batteries and other accessories. There is room left over for other day trip gear, including a "0" series Gitzo and Acratech GPs pano head.

As for dust I seem to be having a problem with that on my 80 but not on my 35. I'll be VERY curious to see what others say about this. I'm wondering if it is only with this particular model of Alpa lens or a general problem. Since I pretty much use both lenses about the same, I'm leaning toward the former.

Finally with the Streetwalker Pro I use the additional heavy duty belt for maximum hip support and ability to carry water and some side gear.

Good luck,
Bob

gogopix

Subscriber
I've taken my alpa TC with P65+ and S 35mm and 47mm xl lenseson treks, not in the desert, but Provence, Wales, seashore in Basque region. The dust has more been the sensor dust bunnies!

I use a Loevenpro with a side access and works well, but a bit big. I was swapping my alpa and Contax a lot and the TC and 35mm didnt seem to suffer at all/ pretty rugged.

Victor

OliverM

Thanks for your feedback.

I assume that you don't keep the viewfinder mounted. After all it doesn't take much time to mount it. Then the Alpa can be protected by a kind of cloth when I carry it (I did that with my dslr when traveling in Africa).

Good to know about the dust issue on your 80, Bob, it tells about an actual risk.

Victor, I also have a Contax. I use a Lowepro Flipside 200, that is perfect for the contax plus 2 lenses (120 & 45mm). BTW, do you still use wide lenses on the Contax, or did you replace completely by the Alpa ? I find the 45mm great for limited DOF.

Thanks
Marc

PeterL

I also use the Lowepro Flipside with my TC and 47mmXL and P40+, works just fine. I do take the viewfinder off when it's in the back. I've taken this kit sailing, but in that case I kept the TC, 47XL and P40 in a freezer-bag inside the Flipside. I would not hesitate to take it to Morocco, but keeping a freezer-bag handy may not be a bad idea, if you run into a sand storm.

Cheers, -Peter

OliverM

I also use the Lowepro Flipside with my TC and 47mmXL and P40+, works just fine. I do take the viewfinder off when it's in the back. I've taken this kit sailing, but in that case I kept the TC, 47XL and P40 in a freezer-bag inside the Flipside. I would not hesitate to take it to Morocco, but keeping a freezer-bag handy may not be a bad idea, if you run into a sand storm.

Cheers, -Peter
Excellent idea, indeed !
I will do so.

Many thanks
Marc

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I can fit my Alpa STC with 35XL & optical finder attached inside a Lowepro Slingshot 300AW. I also keep my other lenses in that same bag plus P40+, 35XL, 47XL, 90HRW, 150 plus all cables, short lens spacer plus batteries, distometer, etc etc. Everything in one bag.

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
I can fit my Alpa STC with 35XL & optical finder attached inside a Lowepro Slingshot 300AW. I also keep my other lenses in that same bag plus P40+, 35XL, 47XL, 90HRW, 150 plus all cables, short lens spacer plus batteries, distometer, etc etc. Everything in one bag.
I take mine everywhere - I'm just departing for Kenya with it.

For walking around with the TC I use a Crumpler Pretty Boy 7500 with one divider. The fully assembled camera + one lens fits perfectly with a Leica Disto D5 and a couple of batteries in the front pocket. The bag's stiff construction means the camera is easy to get in and out.

For travel, hiking etc. I use a Crumpler C List Celebrity medium backpack. It's the most flexible backpack that I've ever had in terms of internal configuration. It's slightly heavier empty than I would prefer but it has excellent padding and is a brilliant design.

It accomodates the assembled TC, the Max partially assembled, three additional lenses and everything else I need (including an M9 and 3 lenses or a GH2 and 3 lenses, depending on what I'm doing). Total loaded weight of the backpack is about 15 lbs (which I'm very conscious of in Kenya because of the 15 kilo weight limit on bush planes) including the GH2 part of the kit.

goesbang

Thanks
Marc Oliver
I am a Middle East based architectural photographer and I use an Alpa STC and several backs, including an Aptus II 12, which has the same fan system as your back.
I am shooting on a daily basis with this gear and can assure you that you should have absolutely no reservations whatsoever in taking your kit to Morrocco. Your Leaf back comes from a country that is mostly desert and dust anyway, so it won't freak out:D
The only time I would avoid having the camera out is if there is a dust storm on top of you. Just commonsense really.
Make sure you take your sensor cleaning kit with you as you will need it more that you are probably used to. I clean my sensor at the start of every shoot. I also carry a fat makeup brush of the "blush brush" type. I use this regularly to dust down the exterior of the camera.
Mostly, I carry my Alpa kit, (body, Vfinder, back, 3 lenses, grad filters, spare batteries etc) in a small Case Logic backpack. Sorry, I don't know the model number.
You have an awesome outfit that is pretty tough. Take it everywhere. I've had mine in snow, sand, at sea, in rainstorms......you get the idea...
Have a great trip!

Cheers,

goesbang

Thanks for your feedback.

I assume that you don't keep the viewfinder mounted. After all it doesn't take much time to mount it. Then the Alpa can be protected by a kind of cloth when I carry it (I did that with my dslr when traveling in Africa).

Thanks
Marc
When I'm using the camera as a walk-and-shoot, I leave the VF on. It fits fine in the bag and is so sturdy I never fear damaging it.
Too much of a pain to keep fitting and removing it. Your camera is tough. Don't baby it - you're just making tedious work for yourself.

OliverM

Thank you all for your recommendations.
Good to know that most of you keep it assembled, that will gain time, and good to have Siebel feed-back from Middle East usage.
I will use my old Lowepro mini-trekker bag, it holds the Contax/Sinar / 120 & 45mm and the assembled TC, I could add more stuff, but that's heavy enough.
I will have also a smaller bag for short walks, but I still need to arrange it properly so the TC is well maintained.

Now that I am confident I can use it, the next challenge will be to succeed making a few nice pictures ... Thankfully there will be great pictures from Kenya to see !

Thanks again for your advices, very helpful !
Marc