The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

My conclusion

m21apsh

Dear Jack,

I have been imaging, using IQ live-view for focusing and composition.

Any idea when Phase one will have live-view update?

best

M

I would agree that with the new IQ technology, a GG is not really necessary. Or at least for the relatively low percentage of times it might be desired, swapping the fixed one out with the back is not a big enough deal to worry about.

J

jeffacme

While the Alpa design may preclude use of a slider the current KG version is precise enough for GG focussing.

I have always used the GG for composition and swings, tilts, etc to pull focus as I desire. So all pictures made with my little Arca view require the use of the GG. I really do not see the point of trial and error focussing on the back display to achieve focus that can be had straight away on the GG and then confirmed by the new IQ tech.

Swapping the GG and back adapter increases the amount of sensor exposure to dust, grime and the possibility that any mismatch in tolerances between the GG and back adapter will alter precise focus. It was just such a mismatch that always had me tweaking the focus back a bit when using my old Arca Rotaslide. With the new KG slider WYSIWYG.

The OP seemed interested in using the GG. Of course to each his or her own and whatever works is good in my book.

archivue

i went with the RM3D and rotaslide, because i'm one of few photographers that need the GG to achieve very strict composition... but for focussing, the GG is not a reliable option with a 35XL... I rely on the focusing ring values for it !

I've tried several times not to use the rotaslide... i've found that my pictures were not as good as usual...
but that's really personal !

The "big" GG of the RM3D helps a lot for stitching as well !

lance_schad

Workshop Member
Dear Jack,

I have been imaging, using IQ live-view for focusing and composition.

Any idea when Phase one will have live-view update?

best

At the end of last week I heard that the IQ180 V-units will have new firmware pre-installed.

We received some today IQ180 V mounts today:D , and I did not check.

I will set one up tomorrow morning and report back.

Lance

archivue

anyway, if it's the same type of liveview than the Aptus 22 on the mac... it's nearly unusable outside...
i'm dreaming of a liveview similar to the 5D II...

J

jeffacme

i went with the RM3D and rotaslide, because i'm one of few photographers that need the GG to achieve very strict composition... but for focussing, the GG is not a reliable option with a 35XL... I rely on the focusing ring values for it !

I've tried several times not to use the rotaslide... i've found that my pictures were not as good as usual...
but that's really personal !

The "big" GG of the RM3D helps a lot for stitching as well !
For me the Rotaslide is not a workable solution. That is why I replaced it with a KG slider and Hasselblad prism. I find this system to be very accurate and precise much better than manual focus on my DF. Also with the new focus mask and 100% view the whole package comes together so I have sold my distro as well.

I use swings and tilts often and just find it easier and more accurate to use the GG and prism finder then confirm with focus mask or 100% view.

archivue

i have both the Rotaslide and the KG...
the thing is that's the KG is really dark with my 35 XL and with the RMFX you can't change the angle of the mirror... and finally, there's not enough room for the larger battery !

Compromises...

archivue

"We received some today IQ180 V mounts "

V mounts ? do you really think that Hasselblad V lenses are up to the task ?

or is it only for technical cameras ?

I'm still in love with my hasselblad 503 CW, my 501CM and my 50 Cfe and 100 Cfi... but i thought that even an IQ 160 was overkill for it...

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
"We received some today IQ180 V mounts "

V mounts ? do you really think that Hasselblad V lenses are up to the task ?

or is it only for technical cameras ?

I'm still in love with my hasselblad 503 CW, my 501CM and my 50 Cfe and 100 Cfi... but i thought that even an IQ 160 was overkill for it...
Let's not forget that resolution isn't the only benefit of the 80mp sensor - you are also gaining that smoother tonality as a side benefit which might be just as important to some folks than just the lens busting resolution.

Steve Hendrix

Last time I spoke to Keith in Dec 2010 he mentioned he was working on it. So I apologize for adding confusion. I have found my KG slider to be dead on from GG to DB and knowing the high degree of precision Keith is capable or I believe Alpa is incorrect.

I have sold the KaptureGroup Sliding Backs for years and have rarely had a focusing problem. Keith's work has gotten better and better over the years. Of course, the majority of sliding backs sold in years past were for studio work, now there are more landscape/architecture shooters who capture digitally. But it's a very different equation focusing with a 35mm Digitar in an outside landscape scene compared to focusing with a 120mm lens on a table 3 feet away.

The precision is there, but - especially with higher and higher pixel counts - the eyes struggle. The P1 IQ does solve this to a great extent, though some of our clients still opt for using the ground glass for through-the-lens composition (especially when stitching).

Steve Hendrix