The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad V alternatives for digital

arionelli

Considering 645 alternative platforms to my trusty Hasselblad 501cm for my 50, 100, 120 & 250 lenses. Possibles include Contax, Mamiya, H1or Pentax with adaptor. Why?... Increased versatility and perhaps also image quality with addition of a digital back, inclusive metering, easier handheld use and the ability to use the faster 110/2 or 150/2.8. I have often considered the FF DSLR alternative but still baulk at the jump. The 203FE might also do but is expensive as is probably the H1. I saw the Mamiya with Leaf Aptus 22 ebayed for just over 5 thou yesterday and thought that would probably be my current biggest stretch. I like my Zeiss lenses most after using Leica R, Fuji, Mam RZ and 7 in the past and will stick with them, but probably include a body-matched AF lens for general/quicker/easier use.

Wondering what you guys with all the real experience think. Thank you.

Graham Mitchell

I assume that using these lenses with adapters means you must manually stop down the aperture. You will need to keep the aperture fully open to help with manual focus and stop down for every shot (or at least until you want to check focus again). I've done this years ago with a Canon 5D and some Leica and Contax lenses. It worked but it was quite cumbersome. I would definitely consider selling your lenses and getting a more complete outfit which will be more enjoyable to use in the end. I understand that you like your Zeiss lenses but Contax 645 lenses are also Zeiss, and AF as well. Have you tried them?

Another possibility is to get a Sinar back with an adapter for your 501 and an adapter for another platform such as Contax 645. That way you can slowly build up second platform while still using the Hasselblad lenses the way nature intended, and use the same digital back on both.

BradleyGibson

You are probably already aware of this, but there are digital backs available for your V-series camera. Newer backs are over your budget, but if you look for older backs, you may find some that fit the bill.

If you want to look at a different camera system, I'd highly recommend the Contax. Their Zeiss lineup is great, every lens has AF, and the bodies can be had for relatively low cost. If you like traditional knobs and physical controls, the camera is a pleasure to operate. Again, I am not up to speed on pricing for digital backs, but assume there are also older backs available for a cheaper price. As a bonus, there is an adapter to mount V lenses (commonly the 110/2) to the Contax (MAM-1). Stop-down metering, of course, as Graham points out.

Best of luck!

arionelli

Thanks, Graham...Yes, I had a Contax system a few years ago...thought I'd stay more with film then so thought 6x6 would be better and returned to Hasselblad. I did think about getting the 80 with a kit, turn the 100 & 120 into a C120, the 50 into C35, play with the 250(sa) on an adaptor and ponder a bit more on it before letting it go.
I'll look into the Sinar otion also.

arionelli

...and also wanted to ask about digital backs...are the Leaf Aptus 22 or Phase One P25 good enough to keep ahead of full frame digital quality?

mvirtue

...and also wanted to ask about digital backs...are the Leaf Aptus 22 or Phase One P25 good enough to keep ahead of full frame digital quality?
As long as you're not looking for high ISO, anything over 200, but your tolerance might be different. Even the lowly ZD that I first got beat the snot out of my 1DsIII.

rga

With the Leaf and your V system you do not need to press a button to wake up the back and then fire you shutter release (a 2 step process virtually unusable for hand held).

I used my V system with great success with a Leaf Aptus 22. Here are some images that are just sharp as can be:
http://www.rgaphoto.com/sierras/content/RGA_Photo__000921MASTER2_large.html
(501C/M with 180f4)
http://www.rgaphoto.com/sierras/content/RGA_Photo__000873MASTER_large.html
501C/M with 250 and 2Xe
http://www.rgaphoto.com/sierras/content/RGA_Photo__000891MASTER_large.html
501C/M and 80mm 2.8

Also IMO you don't need metering. The histogram is easy to work with. Street photography may be problematic.

My recommend would be to get an Aptus 22 and use it with your current system. You most likely will be pleasantly surprised.

Good luck,
Bob

dorigatti

With the Leaf and your V system you do not need to press a button to wake up the back and then fire you shutter release (a 2 step process virtually unusable for hand held)
With the V and Phase One and CFV backs do you need to go through the two button press?

I'm considering getting a back for my V system one of these days and the two button press is something I did not know about and certainly a deal breaker for me as. Hand held shooting is a must.

Thanks.

rga

With the V and Phase One and CFV backs do you need to go through the two button press?

I'm considering getting a back for my V system one of these days and the two button press is something I did not know about and certainly a deal breaker for me as. Hand held shooting is a must.

Thanks.
Yes with Phase backs. I don't think so (but have never used one) with the CFV back...

fotografz

Thanks.
The Hasselblad CFV backs are specifically made for the V cameras. They are the ONLY digital backs that do NOT require a sync cord from the lens sync port to the digital back. They look, feel and operate just like a V film back ... no waking up is needed.

In addition, the Hasselblad Phocus RAW processing software has CA and distortion corrections for all your Zeiss lenses programmed in.

-Marc

Steve Hendrix

Thanks.

Hi Dorigatti -

On Hasselblad cameras you do not need a wake up. You do need a sync cable from back to lens (miniphone to pc sync), but you do not need to do anything other than press the release of the Hasselblad. One shot.

A used Mamiya AFD-II/III or Phase One AF might be worth considering, since they take any digital back made for Mamiya mount, also film backs, and not just the Hassleblad CF lenses, but also the FE lenses (requires an adapter). And you can find older inexpensive Mamiya lenses easily (we have them new in the box in our eStore starting at $299).

Steve Hendrix

Anders_HK

If you look at these you should also take a look at the Leaf Aptus 65 and Phase One P30+, and do look at the P25+ rather than P25 since for Phase One the "+" backs are newer and per memory with improved image quality than non "+" backs (or someone please correct me).

The Aptus 65 and P30+ backs have one newer generation of sensors than Aptus 22 and P25. While they at low ISO should perform about as well they are capable of perhaps one stop higher ISO. While the Aptus 22 and P25 are 48x36mm sensors (which are already crops of 645), the Aptus 65 and P30+ are 44x33mm sensors. Thus both are crops and the difference to the smaller crop is little, but because of them having smaller crop you may in fact find that they are lower in price. ;)

Aptus 65 is same sensor as Aptus-II 6 and DM28 and same identical sensor except smaller crop of Aptus 75, Aptus-II 7, DM33.

Next step would be Leaf Aptus-II 10R which has the rotating sensor. That one is one generation newer sensor still, and... in frankness it does not hurt to ask what deal you can negotiate on such one. The rotating sensor works great, I prior had Aptus 65 and recent upgraded to Hy6 with Afi-II 12. It matches the brain on a 6x6 camera; IDEAL. :thumbs:

The Leaf;s above utilized sensors from Dalsa and which gives an arguably better image quality, or more "film like" image quality. Since the P25, P30 backs also newer Phase One backs uses sensors from Dalsa.

Do buy from a Leaf, Phase One or Hasselblad agent, since they will give you support and in future they can offer you a better upgrade. Not sure if they accept the DM backs as trade in later or not...

If you go the route of Mamiya/PhaseOne camera, the DF feature a beeb as focus confirmation while the AFDIII/AF feature a circular confirmation light which is on during a focus travel during which accurate focus is in middle of. Thus more convenience with the DF unless you normally shoot stepped down. If you consider the Hassy V lenses for the 200 series, then you will need to go e.g. Mamiya since there is problem making at least Leaf backs work on 200 series cameras.

If you look for a Hassy V to Mamiya adapter, I have one for sale here on GetDpi, have a look. :D + :thumbs:

I hope above helps.

Regards
Anders

rga

The Hasselblad CFV backs are specifically made for the V cameras. They are the ONLY digital backs that do NOT require a sync cord from the lens sync port to the digital back. They look, feel and operate just like a V film back ... no waking up is needed.

In addition, the Hasselblad Phocus RAW processing software has CA and distortion corrections for all your Zeiss lenses programmed in.

-Marc
But there is a 1.3 crop factor. With an Aptus 22 there is only a 1.1 crop factor; your 50mm lens is still pretty much a 50, not a 65...

arionelli

Are the Leaf and PhaseOne backs camera-specific? What is involved in adapting to another camera? My guess is that unless there are camera-specific adaptor plates, it would be a trip to the manufacturer and some dollars, right?

rga

Are the Leaf and PhaseOne backs camera-specific? What is involved in adapting to another camera? My guess is that unless there are camera-specific adaptor plates, it would be a trip to the manufacturer and some dollars, right?
They come from the manufacturer configured to fit on specific cameras (V cameras, Mamiyas, etc.). If you wish to change a back from, let's say a Mamiya to a V compatible configuration, AND the back is out of warranty OR you are not the original purchaser (there may be some wiggle room there), then you pay to convert.

Bottom line: buy a back already configured to fit your camera.

That is my understanding...

Graham Mitchell

Are the Leaf and PhaseOne backs camera-specific?
Yes, the mounts are fixed.

What is involved in adapting to another camera?
This is not changeable by the user with Leaf or Phase. The only good news there is that a Hasselblad V mount first not only the Hasselblad V cameras, but various view cameras as well, if fitted with a Hasselblad V mount. Most mounts can be made to work with a view camera if the view camera has the right fitting. The Mamiya 645 mount can also fit via an adapter on a Mamiya RZ67. That's pretty much it.

My guess is that unless there are camera-specific adaptor plates, it would be a trip to the manufacturer and some dollars, right?
Correct. I'd check with a dealer beforehand, as one friend of mine paid $4K to change a Phase mount so it can be pretty expensive. If you do buy a new back then you can pay an extra premium which allows you to change the mount once over a given period. Example: I just paid €2K for a Leaf gold package with my new back which extended the warranty to 3 years and gives me a free swap mount within that time.

Stefan Steib

@arionelli
have you considered taking a look at our HCam-B1 ?
Your Hassy Zeiss lenses will work perfectly on it plus Canon 17+24mm TSE (world record wideangle - with NO COLOR CAST !),
plus Contax/Zeiss lenses (85,100macro), Nikon, Olympus,..... + Leica R lenses + about any other MF lenses including all Mamiya 645 and now with our Adapter also RZ lenses. You can use ALL Backs - no matter which maker, if you decide to use another one the Back adapters are interchangeable.
Focusing is bright and easy with a Groundglass, you can use all your Hassy Finders, we include a loupe finder which is pretty good for exact focusing.
The shutter is from 32sec to a 1/4000 sec (exactly like the Mamiya DF=same shutter) the camera can generate a wakeup signal if needed (at no extra cost=built in)......... see here:

http://hcam.de/en/hartbleicam1.htm and following pages

Greetings from Munich
Stefan Steib - HCam.de