The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Live Preview on IQ180

lance_schad

Workshop Member
I just had the opportunity to try out the "Live Preview" untethered on a Phase One IQ180V system. I spent a few minutes with it (will have more time later), but the performance is pretty good.

It is accessed via the lower bottom right hand menu (see image below). You click on the movie camera icon, then open the shutter and the image appears.

We shot out our window of our office into the daylight and we had the aperture set @ F11 and the preview was not blown out at all. We then put a ND filter and set it to F2.8 and it worked well.

You can zoom all the way up to 400% in the Live Preview mode just like you can do in the full screen preview.

More info to follow as we get some more time to explore it.

But in my opinion it is usable and exceeded my expectations.

Lance

cs750

Lance, thanks for this information. This is exciting news for those of us who have already purchased the IQ180! Charles

archivue

Then, producing a ND filter with quick pressure release friction mounts like the expodisc should be a good idea !

it's probably possible to swap filters between an ND and an expodisc...

lance_schad

Workshop Member
Yes there is a forthcoming firmware upgrade for all the IQ backs.
They pre-loaed the new firmware on the IQ180V units we just received.
Lance

Dan Santoso

So it is ready then, I am traveling soon in a photo trip, oh please when

Lance how fast CF speed for double tap? Does it have IIQ small?

lance_schad

Workshop Member
Yes on IIQS.
About 1 second to double tap to 100%.
Not sure of the release date of the firmware for backs in the field, checking on that.
Lance

Terry

On variable ND filters you can eliminate the "ND" by rotating the two parts but then you still have glass in front of your lens.

Last edited:

Christopher

I think only some type of clip on ND would make it usefull. I cant see myself screwing something on and off, or sliding in and out to focus.

goesbang

I am currently playing with Live preview and I'd say to landscape shooters to not let their expectations get out of control.
I've used it today on my Alpa, indoors and outdoors with the 23mm HR Digaron, and also indoors, tethered with the 150mm Schneider and the Alpa tilt adapter, doing a tabletop still life.
The monorail view camera shooters are going to love this function, especially if they have remote electronic shutter control. It still works with mechanical shutters. In my view, it makes the PITA sliding back with groundglass obsolete. It takes a bit of getting used to focussing with the grainy image, but after some practice, I was able to accurately place focus, including tilting Scheimpflug effect. Studio stii life just became fun again.
I tried to shoot some city skyline stuff in the dark of night from my 46th floor balcony and this was almost a lost cause. Shooting in available darkness is a no-no.
However, with the greying of the dawn, the preview is very usable.
I also shot a shot along my room divider at 45deg, with my focus placed on a bottle about 60cm from the 23mm at maximum aperture. The bottle is in perfect focus. Big 10/10 for Live preview on that one.
The software integration is simple and intuitive. It's easy to access as well. I found zooming in to 400% was overkill and hard to define detail and navigate to the spot you want. Working between 200 and 300% seemed to work well for me.
I'll post more once I've done more. It remains to be seen what the release version performs like. I am doing some pre-release free testing of the beta. No, I have no idea when it is being released.
Dan, are you travelling through Dubai enroute to India? If so, give me a bell and you'll have a local guide and host....

Thierry

Hi Lance,

Thanks for sharing.

- If I understand it right, the function does not involve the shutter, means it is done with continuously open / used f/stop?

- What is the refresh rate?

- Can it be switched to B&W? And in this case, what is then the refresh rate?

Thanks
Thierry

lance_schad

Workshop Member
Tim-no the USB is not enabled .

Thierry - Correct the Live Preview does not involve the shutter, it is off of the chip.

I did not time the refresh rate.

There is a menu item for adjusting refresh rate/quality, also a grid menu and a dropper for balance.

It is color only the Live Preview Display.

Lance

Last edited:

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
I did not time the refresh nor is it adjustable (at least I could not find a setting for it)
Refresh rate is the inverse of the quality slider in the pop up context menu.

At maximum refresh you're looking at a few frames per second. Moving objects often take 2-3 frames to "settle in" especially if high contrast light is involved.

Useless for portrait, fashion, sports, or hand-holding.

Suprisingly effective for composition of tripod-based slow-pace architecture/interior/landscape. I need more hands-on time in a variety of situations to comment on effectiveness of using it to focus.

A variable ND Filter IMO is non-optional for effective use.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870 *| *Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

Masters Series Workshop:
New England Landscape - Fall Color (Oct 5-8)

vjbelle

Doug,

Composition, for me, is very important..... saves some time and shots. Focus would also be very nice but a disto and HPF rings are so accurate that focus would really have to on the level of a 5DII to make sense to me. That may be down the road. This is all VERY positive news.

Victor