The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Falling in love

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Well another 4 day job and another 2800 images and I am just really falling in love with this MF stuff. Okay the downside i am getting a workout , literarily holding the camera for several hours at a time and at the end of this I actually was getting a blister on my holding thumb on the grip. Also getting cramps in my back , more like spasms but the results are just killer. All I got after showing images on screen to hundreds of folks was WOW. The images from MF are just so much different , there is such depth to the images. And the sharpness from my three main lenses the 55, 80 and new 150mm are just amazingly crisp. The new Mamiya 150mm is just flat out something else. You saw test images but real world there just stunningly crisp with tons of great bokeh. I know many of folks complain about the LCD but coming from the DMR and M8 the LCD to me is a treat. I know we all want a Nikon LCD 3 inch display but I really am not feeling a want here. Mine is accurate and it tells me pretty much what the file looks like except the high ISO shots look very grainy on LCD they are not in real life. Trying to figure out why they look grainy though on the LCD .Once you realize it not a problem but it is somewhat a concern when shooting.

The new Phase Body i really am liking very much , very responsive and I also switched out the Alkaline batteries for rechargeable and it seems to be a touch faster like I thought it may do. I have 43 gb's of data to work on and may post some images but so far I am hooked pretty damn hard on this MF stuff. I just love the files and the look from it.

BTW this system and the images from it helped land more work. I know it is me behind them but the gear is making me look even better. Can't beat that with a stick.

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
Have you tried lithiums in the body? I run Li cells in my AFDII, and they're significantly lighter, last forever, don't drop in voltage like alkalines, can store forever, can output higher current than even NiMH's, and will never leak crap if unused. They're also cheaper per Wh of capacity than alkalines. A significant part of the body weight is the 6 AA cells!

I sure wish the LCD on my ZD was as good as the M8! :)

So the new 150 is that good... Hmm...

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Have you tried lithiums in the body? I run Li cells in my AFDII, and they're significantly lighter, last forever, don't drop in voltage like alkalines, can store forever, can output higher current than even NiMH's, and will never leak crap if unused. They're also cheaper per Wh of capacity than alkalines. A significant part of the body weight is the 6 AA cells!

I sure wish the LCD on my ZD was as good as the M8! :)

So the new 150 is that good... Hmm...
Yes, Jan, it is that good.
-bob

RGoldman

And what is the price of that 150mm again Lance? I know I shouldn't even be asking but I've been good lately and haven't spent anything on new equipment for at least a couple of months!

Ron

Guy Mancuso

Ron it is around 3300 or so but I will say worth the money no question. I know a lot but even leica M lenses cost this much or more depending on which one and this 150 is in that league if not better.

Guy Mancuso

Jan I bought 16 new Sanyo eneloop batteries. I used them before on my flash units and what i like about them they hold a charge for a long time. I will look at the Lithum though

fotografz

Well another 4 day job and another 2800 images and I am just really falling in love with this MF stuff. Okay the downside i am getting a workout , literarily holding the camera for several hours at a time and at the end of this I actually was getting a blister on my holding thumb on the grip. Also getting cramps in my back , more like spasms but the results are just killer. All I got after showing images on screen to hundreds of folks was WOW. The images from MF are just so much different , there is such depth to the images. And the sharpness from my three main lenses the 55, 80 and new 150mm are just amazingly crisp. The new Mamiya 150mm is just flat out something else. You saw test images but real world there just stunningly crisp with tons of great bokeh. I know many of folks complain about the LCD but coming from the DMR and M8 the LCD to me is a treat. I know we all want a Nikon LCD 3 inch display but I really am not feeling a want here. Mine is accurate and it tells me pretty much what the file looks like except the high ISO shots look very grainy on LCD they are not in real life. Trying to figure out why they look grainy though on the LCD .Once you realize it not a problem but it is somewhat a concern when shooting.

The new Phase Body i really am liking very much , very responsive and I also switched out the Alkaline batteries for rechargeable and it seems to be a touch faster like I thought it may do. I have 43 gb's of data to work on and may post some images but so far I am hooked pretty damn hard on this MF stuff. I just love the files and the look from it.

BTW this system and the images from it helped land more work. I know it is me behind them but the gear is making me look even better. Can't beat that with a stick.
Guy, do you have a hand strap for your Mamiya?

I do 8 hour wedding stints at a dead run and couldn't do it without a hand strap so I can just let the whole thing hang at my side when not in use.

Guy Mancuso

Yes Marc using a Nikon hand strap actually. I just love hand straps, but the Nikon one is just okay . Looking for something better that fits me more comfortable but I agree without the hand strap it would have been a lot worse. I know Canon makes a nice one and i loved the DMR hand strap. The Alpa one looks nice also

etrigan63

Yes Marc using a Nikon hand strap actually. I just love hand straps, but the Nikon one is just okay . Looking for something better that fits me more comfortable but I agree without the hand strap it would have been a lot worse. I know Canon makes a nice one and i loved the DMR hand strap. The Alpa one looks nice also
Check out Camdapter straps. I have one on my D300+MB-D10 and it is awesome! The adapter plate is compatible with Manfrotto QR2 heads but they also have Arca Swiss type plates as well.

fotografz

I like the hand strap made for the H system better than any I've used to date. It's comfortable and doesn't stretch out after using it all day like the Canon one used to. I liked it so much I adapted it for use on the D3.

Guy Mancuso

I have the Camadapter strap which I don't like very much but I did try Ray's Hassy strap which i did like.

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
Any link on the Hassy strap? I've been using my PhaseOne as a walk-about for the past several weeks with the Camadapter strap. It works OK, but would like to find something a bit more substantial.

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
Thanks much, Guy.

Just curious, on your latest job, which lens did you find yourself using the most?