The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

mamiya 80/2.8 versions?

dmeckert

so...i picked up my AFD as a kit, with an 80/2.8. and i recently picked up another 80/2.8 in order to sell the AFD as a kit and still have an 80/2.8 in the bag, since i upgraded to the AFDIII.

i just noticed today, while packing my bag for tomorrow, that one has a smooth plastic barrel, and the other has a rubbery coating on the barrel.

my assumption is that the rubbery one is just a more recent version, but should be the same otherwise.

anything else i should know?

Steve Hendrix

so...i picked up my AFD as a kit, with an 80/2.8. and i recently picked up another 80/2.8 in order to sell the AFD as a kit and still have an 80/2.8 in the bag, since i upgraded to the AFDIII.

i just noticed today, while packing my bag for tomorrow, that one has a smooth plastic barrel, and the other has a rubbery coating on the barrel.

my assumption is that the rubbery one is just a more recent version, but should be the same otherwise.

anything else i should know?

Dave -

The "D" version (updated) has a rubber material for the focusing ring, if that is what you mean, rather than rubber coating on the entire barrel. And it should be a bit larger in size.

Steve Hendrix

dmeckert

alas...i didn't luck out that much. though it sure would be nice to have accidentally picked up a D for $100. if only i had that kind of luck, haha.

this one's got a whole rubberized barrel.