The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

IQ Series Firmware 1.33 Released w/ Live View

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Read release notes folks. Back is to be removed from body and a reboot is required with a battery removal also. Get it right, will install soon here myself.

Guy Mancuso

Like the small IIQ idea could come in handy especially for those traveling with the new air laptop. Just might be faster to process. Something obviously needs testing but a very handy feature when shoot a big gig too. Oh I fit that description sometimes myself. Lol

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
All installed and running as advertised. LV is very cool and I don't seem to need an ND if I use f8 or f11 on my tech cam. This was in moderate early AM light, so perhaps brighter light will be problematic. Of course you also loose the thin DoF of more open apertures. I carry 3 and 6 stop IR-cut ND filters anyway, so no big issue for me. Frankly I was not expecting much from LV, but it actually works a lot better than I assumed it would and I may find use for it.

:thumbs: Phase!

Guy Mancuso

Works on the IQ 160 so not sure who or what reported it does not. But have it working on the DF with shutter on bulb. Okay so some my love it but to me a complete waste of my time. I could see using it shooting interior work on a tripod but outside with a DF not a chance. To me this is for the tech cam folks mostly but in all honesty I never seen the value of live view to begin with. But I'm a old dog and think completely different than a lot of people. With tools like focus mask and 100 percent view which on the 160 is almost instant I have to question this function for myself. But I'm a shooter that goes by what is in the finder and what I see . Looking at a LCD to compose and work is just not Guy. But that is me for tech cam crowd I can see it's value but again with other tools my guess is a lot of folks will not use this after some time with a IQ back and it's other functions and if it sucks battery even less so.

In this case I am playing the skeptic role.

Guy Mancuso

Little trick here for DF users you can put cam on manual set it to 30 or 60 seconds and the shutter will stay open that long and you can make your adjustments within that time frame. Nice part is you don't need a cable release with lock or electro shutter release in place. Kind of makes it a lot simpler operation than dealing with a release and frees your hands up to make adjustments. Try it

I think you're right, unless there's a peaking indicator and a way to instantly grab a shot, LV on the DF and anyway you are TTL so no point at all.

However, once you're on a tripod and want very precise focus, I think DF or tech cam, it's the same. I'm looking forward to this, as it means no GG is needed in the field, and no clumsy sliding back. The GG still has one advantage that you can visualise an entire stitch on the tech cam, but this is incredibly good news. An ND filter is a small price to pay for the effort and weight this feature saves.

Excited, anxiously awaiting my IQ

Guy Mancuso

Yes certainly can see it's advantages but seriously get extra batteries. I can tell already just playing around this will suck a lot of battery power and you have to be careful about heat as well.

Guy Mancuso

I have the old firmware and I should copy the new one as well. Now I have another extra small card thanks to you. great idea

Dan Santoso

I upgraded my FW and tried my sandisk extreme with some pics on it (IIQL)

Double tab still around 3-4 seconds. No speed improvement imho.

How fast is the extreme pro with IQ180?

Thanks

cs750

Backup Firmware For DF IQ180: Assuming we decide to carry a small card with the most recent firmware...is there any reason to carry earlier firmware? My guess is that only the most recent firmware would be in order. If other versions are also put on memory card, then should they be on separate memory cards?

Guy Mancuso

Yes no question on separate cards. That's if you want to carry old firmware around . I probably will not after this new firmware seems okay which I am sure it is. I'll give it a couple days than take the old one out of my wallet.

Guy Mancuso

I would think that multiple firmware releases on a CF card is just inviting trouble. At most, maybe store old versions on your computer somewhere.

B&H has this Sandisk 16GB Extreme Pro for about $130; it includes a *free* 4GB CF card which is just perfect for storing firmware on. Get a faster card for the IQ series and a user firmware card thrown in.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=WishList.jsp&A=details&Q=&sku=646873&is=REG
Exactly what I did was use that 4gb card I got for free. Plus Steve sent me a old 2gb card . Certainly don't need anything over 2gb so if you have to buy than go cheap. Darn black hole is big enough :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

cs750

I had already made a backup copy of firmware 1.33 on one of those 4GB disks with my 16GB Extreme Pro cards, but could see no reason to carry backup for earlier versions. Charles

Thierry

Right, that was my understanding of what it is intended for.

Thierry

However, once you're on a tripod and want very precise focus, I think DF or tech cam, it's the same. I'm looking forward to this, as it means no GG is needed in the field, and no clumsy sliding back.

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

Well between all the tools the whole idea is one would hope you can just leave all those accessory finders, disto's, sliding backs , ground glass and such home finally. I hope for the tech cam folks that is the case, simple is far better than dealing with all that stuff in the field. I know when I finally buy one I will not be buying any of that stuff. Body and glass plus my wakeup cable arrangement is all I am hoping for. This gets us closer for sure.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Re back-up firmware for Phase IQ backs: Just so everybody is clear, the IQ backs have back-up firmware ONBOARD, so no need to carry anything. You simply go to "Firmware" in the menu and choose the default option.